Questions about Evansville the city

Discuss the MVC through purple-tinted glasses
DrakeFan
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 2008

Questions about Evansville the city

Postby DrakeFan » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:44 am

Hi everyone. I'm a life-long Drake fan and I've recently been contacted about a 2nd interview for a job in Evansville. I honestly have never been to Evansville and was hoping you guys would be able to give me some insights into the location. I also do not know anyone from Evansville so I thought this might be a good place to turn to for advice. What are your likes, dislikes? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Re: Questions about Evansville the city

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:53 pm

Life long Evv native here, lived a sheltered life !!

Great place to raise a family. Summers can be hot and humid. Winters can be mild or a lot of snow and some ice. Cost of living pretty good from what I hear. Traffic not too bad most of the time.

We are in the far, southern tip so it is warmer here in the winter than those in central or northern Indiana. We are only minutes from Henderson, Ky and maybe 30-45 minutes to Southern Illinois border depending what part of town you live in. City I believe is around 125,000 by last count, but I could be off some, others on here may have more data for you.

2 Hours to Louisville, 2.5 to St Louis, 2.15 to Nashville, TN and maybe 3 or so to Indianapolis.

Only one stipulation if you move here is you must become an Aces fan. You can be a Drake fan too, but only when they play Evansville unless we can completely convert you over to the purple side :)

stennisrm72
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1964

Postby stennisrm72 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:16 pm

I'm an Evansville lifer almost. Born & raised here but I have also lived in two small towns in southern Illinois, a college town in middle Tennessee and Nashville. I agree with Ibleedpurple about the town. I have never regretted moving back. I raised my family here and am now retired.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:40 am

Life long resident, Evansville is a great place to raise a family. Downtown area has boomed the last 5 years,new arena,new IU med center, 3 new hotels downtown,and lots of housing.Dont know what company you're interviewing for,but housing on the far North side is booming, great schools in the north area,it has a 5 year old highschool,new elementary school,this is the Mc Cutchanville area.If your company is on the East side then Newburgh would be your area to live in.Hope this is helpful and good luck.

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:34 am

To characterize a bit, I think Evansville is very similar to other small midwestern cities like Peoria, Eau Claire and Duluth. Some of my friends here think it feels more southern, like Huntsville Ala, but I don't really see that much.

Evansville is probably not for you if you must live in a city where The Eagles tour will come through or if you prefer real minor league baseball - we don't get those here.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:11 am

It is a great town to raise a family. I'm a big fan of the Westside. Housing affordable. Lots of positive changes downtown and on the westside as well. People here will generally warm up to you once they get to know you. The city has a conservative element to it that can drive some crazy. It's sort of an over grown country town that has underachieved a long time but has been more on the upswing in recent years. The best "Mom's and Pop's pizzerias you will ever find. Though I am living in St. Louis presently I hope to move back once I am able to retire....whenever that may be.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:44 am

I agree with the comments above. I'm a younger guy and I really like Evansville. Grew up on the west side and have lived here my whole life.

If you do want to go to a bigger city, you are within driving distance of Indianapolis, Louisville, Nashville, and St. Louis - all are within 3 hours. Evansville has a ton of Restaurants, a pretty decent Mall, multiple Movie Theaters, a growing and improving Downtown, a nice Riverfront, etc. The metro area of Evansville is probably more like 250,000+ people because of the growing West and North sides, along with Newburgh. One other thing people didn't mention already. There is a really nice Theme Park/Water Park within about an hour of EVV (Holiday World and Splashing Safari) - it is one of the top theme parks in the US according to a lot of countdowns - multiple wooden rollercoasters and water slides.

The only real dislike I have about the area is the moronic East Side vs West Side mentality that some people have (it is one of the dumbest things I've ever encountered).

Funny thing, last night William Shatner came to town for a movie screening to a packed Victory Theater and asked the exact same question - "What do people do in Evansville?"
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

DrakeFan
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 2008

Postby DrakeFan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:38 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm pretty excited to take a look around when I visit. And I don't know if I can ever stop being a Drake fan but I'm sure I'd start pulling for the Aces otherwise. :)

Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces101 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:31 pm

West Side is the Best Side - just had to say it. I was a born and raised West Side boy but a huge Aces fan and a UE alum.

Evansville is a very nice place to live and raise a family.

Aces & Cardinals 16
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 2006

Postby Aces & Cardinals 16 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:50 pm

First off, congratulations on getting a second interview for a position in Evansville!

In my opinion, Evansville is a great Midwestern town. Low cost of living, enjoyable lifestyle, manners, people and things to do. I have lived in Evansville for 21 years, with the other 4 being in Muncie, Indiana (Ball State University graduate). The only negatives are higher costs of electricity and water/sewage bills. Otherwise, Evansville is a great city to live and visit!

Things to Do/Attractions:
Bosse Field - 3rd Old Ballpark (1915) in the United States. Bosse Field is home to the Evansville Otters, who play in the Frontier League. The Otters were league champions in 2006 and 2016. The ballpark was also featured in the 1992 hit "A League of Their Own" starring Tom Hanks and Madonna.
Mesker Park Zoo & Botanical Garden
Wesselman Woods - This urban forest boasts 190 acres of virgin bottomland forest with over 6 miles of trails.
Burdette Park - The park covers 180 acres and includes one of the largest aquatic centers in the Midwest; trails and biking routes
Angel Mounds State Historic Site - Historic site of the Middle Mississippian Native Americans
LST 325 - WWII Landing Ship Tank - In the 1940's, Evansville built these ships for WWII. The last operational one in existence rides along the Ohio River.
ShrinersFest - Four-day event with food, vendors, rides, air show and entertainment. The event has previously hosted the US Navy Blue Angels, Canadian Forces Snowbirds, USMC AV-8B Harrier, USAF F-16 Viper West Demo Team, and the USN Super Hornet Demo Team.
HydroFest - Hydroplane racing on the Ohio River
Frog Follies - 4,000 cars. PRE 49 Street Rod event
The West Side Nut Club Fall Festival - The West Side Nut Club Fall Festival is an annual event held the first full week of every October on Franklin Street in Evansville, Indiana, and is organized by the West Side Nut Club. The festival features over 136 food booths run and operated by not-for-profit groups in the region. The event is held on the west side with free entertainment, carnival attractions, over 136 food booths, amateur talent competitions and on the last day, a huge parade. This event attracts over 200,000 people to the West Side and is considered to be one of the largest street festivals in the United States.

Restaurants:
5 Local Craft Breweries - Carson's Brewery, Evansville Brewhouse, Maidens Brewery & Pub, Myriad Brewing Company, Turoni's
Arazu on Main, Gerst Haus, La Campirana, Azzip Pizza, Franklin Street Pizza Factory, BRU Burger Bar, The Dapper Pig, Parlor Doughnuts, Zesto, Donut Bank, Walton's International Comfort Food

For more information, make sure to check out VisitEvansville.com

This is just a small glimpse into the Evansville area. We would love to have you join us!

Return to “The Valley”