Valley games

Discuss the MVC through purple-tinted glasses
Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Re: Valley games

Postby Austin Ace » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:36 am

Was curious how we look on the tiebreakers with Missouri State (and even Southern Illinois and Loyola). That is it we tie with any of these teams are we in the top 6 and avoid the Thursday play-in game?

I think someone mentioned on another thread that the tie breaker was based on RPI this year and not the non-conference strength of schedule like past years. If so what RPI is used and where are these teams rated now? Thanks.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:36 am

Here are the tiebreaker rules:

Tournament Tiebreaker System

 Regular-season standings are the determining factor in setting first-round pairings for the MVC Tournament. For 2016, the league voted to revise the men’s basketball tournament seeding tiebreaker policy to utilize the overall adjusted RPI, as published in The RPI Report on the morning after the final regular-season MVC game.

 Two-way Ties
 1. Records in head-to-head competition are compared, with the higher seed going to the team that has won the most games against the other.
 2. If head-to-head competition does not break the tie, the deadlock will be broken using the overall adjusted RPI, as published in The RPI Report on the morning after the final regular-season MVC game. The team with the better overall adjusted RPI will receive the higher seed.

 Multiple Ties
 1. If three or more teams are tied, regular-season competition among the tied schools shall be pooled into a “mini round-robin.” Teams shall be ranked according to their position in such a round- robin.
 2. If head-to-head competition does not break the tie, the deadlock will be broken using the overall adjusted RPI, as published in The RPI Report on the morning after the final regular-season MVC game. The teams will be seeded in order of their overall adjusted RPI.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I see a couple ways we can get the 6 seed:
1. We win 2 of 3, Drake beats MSU Saturday and loses one or both of their other games, and MSU loses all three games. Us and Drake would be tied (which we split and have the higher RPI) or we would get the 6 outright.
2. We win 2 of 3, MSU beats Drake - loses the other two games, and Drake wins one remaining game. Us and MSU would be tied and we would have the RPI tiebreaker as it stands now.
3. We win 2 of 3, MSU beats Drake - loses the other two games, and Drake wins the other two games. That would put us in a a three way tie with Drake and MSU. Which we would have the tiebreaker because everyone would be 2-2 against each other.

If Drake does beat MSU Saturday, and all three of us tie in the standings Drake would have the "round-robin" tie-breaker between the three of us because they would be 3-1 against us and MSU, which we would be 2-2 and MSU would be 1-3, which would lead to us being the 7 seed.

There's probably others...but those are the most likely ones I see.

Bottom line - we MUST win 2 of 3. A loss Saturday, and it's pretty much over unless we get a miracle.

RPI site - http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2017/ ... Evansville
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Thanks. Sounds like we need to take care of business and beat Bradley and Indiana State and root against Missouri State.

Go Aces!!!

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:51 pm

Tom Servo wrote:Here are the tiebreaker rules:

Tournament Tiebreaker System

 Regular-season standings are the determining factor in setting first-round pairings for the MVC Tournament. For 2016, the league voted to revise the men’s basketball tournament seeding tiebreaker policy to utilize the overall adjusted RPI, as published in The RPI Report on the morning after the final regular-season MVC game.

 Two-way Ties
 1. Records in head-to-head competition are compared, with the higher seed going to the team that has won the most games against the other.
 2. If head-to-head competition does not break the tie, the deadlock will be broken using the overall adjusted RPI, as published in The RPI Report on the morning after the final regular-season MVC game. The team with the better overall adjusted RPI will receive the higher seed.

 Multiple Ties
 1. If three or more teams are tied, regular-season competition among the tied schools shall be pooled into a “mini round-robin.” Teams shall be ranked according to their position in such a round- robin.
 2. If head-to-head competition does not break the tie, the deadlock will be broken using the overall adjusted RPI, as published in The RPI Report on the morning after the final regular-season MVC game. The teams will be seeded in order of their overall adjusted RPI.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I see a couple ways we can get the 6 seed:
1. We win 2 of 3, Drake beats MSU Saturday and loses one or both of their other games, and MSU loses all three games. Us and Drake would be tied (which we split and have the higher RPI) or we would get the 6 outright.
2. We win 2 of 3, MSU beats Drake - loses the other two games, and Drake wins one remaining game. Us and MSU would be tied and we would have the RPI tiebreaker as it stands now.
3. We win 2 of 3, MSU beats Drake - loses the other two games, and Drake wins the other two games. That would put us in a a three way tie with Drake and MSU. Which we would have the tiebreaker because everyone would be 2-2 against each other.

If Drake does beat MSU Saturday, and all three of us tie in the standings Drake would have the "round-robin" tie-breaker between the three of us because they would be 3-1 against us and MSU, which we would be 2-2 and MSU would be 1-3, which would lead to us being the 7 seed.

There's probably others...but those are the most likely ones I see.

Bottom line - we MUST win 2 of 3. A loss Saturday, and it's pretty much over unless we get a miracle.

RPI site - http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2017/ ... Evansville

I was checking out that RPI link you posted.
If I read that stuff correctly, UE had the toughest outside of conference SOS and their opponents RPI.
Question is why all those PUTZ at MVCfans.ccom always give ACES grief about their schedule?
Granted, The ACES have to win. And, this year they haven't.
However, they scheduled above EVERYONE, in the conference.
But, if I read that crap all wrong....err.....well.....nevermind.
And if I did show me where I did.

Thx
COUTEAU

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:12 am

COUTEAU wrote:If I read that stuff correctly, UE had the toughest outside of conference SOS and their opponents RPI.

As far as Non-Con SOS, Nolan has UE at 58. UNI is at 33, with everyone else way behind.

However, KenPom lists UE's Non-Con SOS at 6th in the MVC (behind UNI, InSt, Bradley, IlSt, and WSU) and 223rd overall.

I'd like to understand the difference. 58th to 223rd is a big drop. Maybe it will make sense after coffee.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:32 am

pafan wrote:
COUTEAU wrote:If I read that stuff correctly, UE had the toughest outside of conference SOS and their opponents RPI.

As far as Non-Con SOS, Nolan has UE at 58. UNI is at 33, with everyone else way behind.

However, KenPom lists UE's Non-Con SOS at 6th in the MVC (behind UNI, InSt, Bradley, IlSt, and WSU) and 223rd overall.

I'd like to understand the difference. 58th to 223rd is a big drop. Maybe it will make sense after coffee.

Crazy stuff.
What I had done, to concluded that The ACES played the strongest non-con schedule was to add up the non con RPI and SOS value(s).
ACES had the higher value total, than all other VALLEY schools.
I had noticed dasPANZER was a higher (.5627 to .5496) value SOS non-con.
However, ACES buried them in non-con RPI (.5576 to .5173)

Return to “The Valley”