2018 MI PG Rashad Williams

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Re: 2018 MI PG Rashad Williams

Postby Aces & Eights » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:51 am

My thoughts about the recruitment of Rashad. I never thought UE had a chance for this player and was surprised that UE was among the finalists.
1. UE has never recruited from the Detroit area or Michigan in general.
2. He was touted by some on this board about his playmaking and shooting. Yet, he only rated a 2 star from the recruiting services. There was no surge of major universities offering him after this past AAU season. UE (MVC) is in the strongest conference to make an offer and as far as it was reported there was no visit to UE. Usually, UE can expect to be competing against several other MVC teams for a player. He chose to go to a school close to home in a less challenging conference.
3. The spectacle of yesterday's announcement and the lead up to it smacks of self aggrandization by Rashad and frankly makes me think he would not have been a good fit for the Aces.

AcesChamps6571
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1965

Postby AcesChamps6571 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:17 pm

tomace44 wrote:Where do you get this information I hope coach simmons is here for 20 years just to see you people whine

So you don't care to see the Aces be relevant again for more than 20 more years? While you have been happy, your coach has lost 2/3 of the fan base. There's likely other reasons not all his fault for the fan base eroding, including but not limited to the move downtown, but the bottom line is he has been in charge of the program as it has fallen to its lowest popularity since before Roberts Stadium opened.
And the status quo is just fine? Enjoy yourself.
If you get your wish, they can soon join the ladies and play their games too at the former Carson Center- and have empty seats.

tomace44
Ford Center Regular

Postby tomace44 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:06 pm

I am 73 years old I don't think I'm going to be around for twenty more years I love the aces I have followed them most of my life I want them to win every game and I'm disappointed when they lose I'm not in charge of what other people do ill support the aces no matter who the coach is if I have to do that alone so be it

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:59 pm

tomace44 wrote:I am 73 years old I don't think I'm going to be around for twenty more years I love the aces I have followed them most of my life I want them to win every game and I'm disappointed when they lose I'm not in charge of what other people do ill support the aces no matter who the coach is if I have to do that alone so be it

It would seem you are a passionate fan of the Aces. Great! Most, if not all, members of this forum are quite passionate as well. I respect your view to support the team the way you do no matter who the coach is. I don't get a feeling from most of the fans here they are going to stop supporting the team because of Coach Simmons. Yes, many of us, sometimes myself, aren't always happy with the coach. He has been at the helm now for awhile now and the natives are getting restless. I fully understand and respect their viewpoint as well. This is why I enjoy this forum. Yeah, we whine some time, but that is what losing does to you when you haven't really competed for much anything meaningful for over many years. Members of this board don't always see eye to eye but most of us here are fine with that. If you are looking for "sunshine and roses" all the time on the Purple Aces Message board this may not be the place for you. But I am glad you are a passionate fan like the rest of us!

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:12 pm

letsgoAces wrote:
tomace44 wrote:I am 73 years old I don't think I'm going to be around for twenty more years I love the aces I have followed them most of my life I want them to win every game and I'm disappointed when they lose I'm not in charge of what other people do ill support the aces no matter who the coach is if I have to do that alone so be it

It would seem you are a passionate fan of the Aces. Great! Most, if not all, members of this forum are quite passionate as well. I respect your view to support the team the way you do no matter who the coach is. I don't get a feeling from most of the fans here they are going to stop supporting the team because of Coach Simmons. Yes, many of us, sometimes myself, aren't always happy with the coach. He has been at the helm now for awhile now and the natives are getting restless. I fully understand and respect their viewpoint as well. This is why I enjoy this forum. Yeah, we whine some time, but that is what losing does to you when you haven't really competed for much anything meaningful for over many years. Members of this board don't always see eye to eye but most of us here are fine with that. If you are looking for "sunshine and roses" all the time on the Purple Aces Message board this may not be the place for you. But I am glad you are a passionate fan like the rest of us!

Very well stated!
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

tomace44
Ford Center Regular

Postby tomace44 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:45 pm

letsgoAces wrote:

so if i dont like it i can leave well i dont think so

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:10 pm

tomace44 wrote:
letsgoAces wrote:

so if i dont like it i can leave well i dont think so

How in the world did you get that out of what he said?? All he said is people are going to have varied opinions and some of those opinions aren't going to be the same as yours. Nothing wrong with any of that at all. You should certainly feel welcomed to post whatever you want, but when you post that you hope Marty will be the coach for the next 20 years, surely you realize some folks are going to disagree given the performance on the court and in recruiting. Again, not saying one side is right and the other is wrong, it's all opinion! This forum exists to discuss Aces basketball and for people to give their opinion about it, it won't be peaches and cream all the time.
- John Wooden

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:43 pm

Aces & Eights wrote:My thoughts about the recruitment of Rashad. I never thought UE had a chance for this player and was surprised that UE was among the finalists.
1. UE has never recruited from the Detroit area or Michigan in general.
2. He was touted by some on this board about his playmaking and shooting. Yet, he only rated a 2 star from the recruiting services. There was no surge of major universities offering him after this past AAU season. UE (MVC) is in the strongest conference to make an offer and as far as it was reported there was no visit to UE. Usually, UE can expect to be competing against several other MVC teams for a player. He chose to go to a school close to home in a less challenging conference.
3. The spectacle of yesterday's announcement and the lead up to it smacks of self aggrandization by Rashad and frankly makes me think he would not have been a good fit for the Aces.

I would say you are spot on

The only thing I would say is that we have struggled to get anyone who has another MVC offer recently, which is why a lot of us are frustrated with the coaching staff. I think some of the guys we've gotten can still be good even though didn't have an MVC offer because they fit us (Kuhlman, Frederking, Hall would fall in that category at least in my eyes they would). Some though I don't think will fit (or have never fit) and won't help us much at all.
- John Wooden

stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1987

Postby stl scooter » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:05 pm

I'm with you, I hope Marty is the coach for a long time.
#ACESACES

AcesChamps6571
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1965

Postby AcesChamps6571 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:12 pm

You have definitely seen the Aces in their glory years then, and am glad you still care. I'm just a little over a decade younger than you, 61, and remember going to Roberts Stadium for the preseason scrimmage, and sometimes there were 5-6,000 people there. The city cared about the Aces, and so did the University. Nowadays, the University doesn't care as much, and the city's interest is dying.
The past two coaching hired have set the program back so far, that the best days have come and gone.
Those of you who want Marty to coach a long time, are settling for mediocrity. Once upon a time, the school cared, but they gave the most important coaching job at the school to a coach with no previous Div. I experience, all because he was a popular player when the program was good.
Most schools would have pulled the plug long before now. The fact that there is going to be a year 11 shows the school doesn't care about winning as much as the city used to demand. Take a look around at each game at all the empty seats. The city cares more about a 2 bit hockey team now than the Aces. This city used to live for Aces basketball on Saturday nights, now there's never a Saturday night game.
We need a new, passionate coach who could maybe, if it's not too late, revive our once proud program. We've been passed up and left behind by schools that used to look up at Evansville.
Fans need to decide whether they are Aces fans first, or Marty fans. If Marty coaching is more important than having a chance to be special again, then enjoy.

Return to “Class of 2018”