2018 IN PF Aleks Novakovich 6'10"

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Re: 2018 IN PF Aleks Novakovich 6'10"

Postby Aces & Eights » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:26 pm

51ACE wrote:Really happy to see Aleks commit. I love his size, shooting touch and agility.........in regards to scholarships available for next year. Is it a given that Soloman will not apply for an additional year? At one point in time that was discussed, but nothing really ever materialized with it.

No one knows because he can't apply for the extra years until after the season is over.

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader

Postby Aces & Eights » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:39 pm

letsgoAces wrote:I really hope that is true...we all can use some good news. I love his skill set and feel he could develop very nicely with some added strength. He seems like an "under the radar" kind of player that other schools may have looked over. Hope an announcement is made soon.

I saw on the Bosco Institute website that they have 2 strength and conditioning coaches. One has an extensive background at IU and olympic training. I believe Aleks will be well developed by the time June comes around.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:47 pm

Aces & Eights wrote:
letsgoAces wrote:I really hope that is true...we all can use some good news. I love his skill set and feel he could develop very nicely with some added strength. He seems like an "under the radar" kind of player that other schools may have looked over. Hope an announcement is made soon.

I saw on the Bosco Institute website that they have 2 strength and conditioning coaches. One has an extensive background at IU and olympic training. I believe Aleks will be well developed by the time June comes around.

Good post and thanks for sharing. It's good to get excited about Aces basketball again, Lets hope another commitment from an impact player soon.

SI_Acesfan
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1967

Postby SI_Acesfan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:11 pm

letsgoAces wrote:Very both elated and relieved over this commitment. Aleks appears to be a really good fit both academically and athletically for UE. I do think he has a good skill set already in place and could develop even further through our coaching staff and some added weight and strength. Aleks is a player who I believe went unnoticed for some reasons beyond me - I don't think he played AAU and that may be it. He could end up being a steal. Good signing by Aces! Now sign Brown and that would be a very good start for the fall signing period.

I read that he grew almost a foot taller in a 1 1/2 year span. That was from a Jan2016 article. And he was listed at 6-8 in the article. Late bloomer, so that might be part of why he was under the radar. The year in prep school will give the rest of his body a chance to catch up.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:30 pm

SI_Acesfan wrote:
letsgoAces wrote:Very both elated and relieved over this commitment. Aleks appears to be a really good fit both academically and athletically for UE. I do think he has a good skill set already in place and could develop even further through our coaching staff and some added weight and strength. Aleks is a player who I believe went unnoticed for some reasons beyond me - I don't think he played AAU and that may be it. He could end up being a steal. Good signing by Aces! Now sign Brown and that would be a very good start for the fall signing period.

I read that he grew almost a foot taller in a 1 1/2 year span. That was from a Jan2016 article. And he was listed at 6-8 in the article. Late bloomer, so that might be part of why he was under the radar. The year in prep school will give the rest of his body a chance to catch up.

That's good to hear as well as the strength trainers at the Prep School. What that probably means is that he is going to have pretty good ball handling skills since he probably played guard early in his career.

I think Aleks could really have a huge career here in Evansville. Rarely have we had someone with his size, mobility, and shooting; never under Simmons. Those three things can't really be taught, so to me this really a great pickup for the Aces!
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces101 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:44 pm

Great get!! I am excited to see some good news on the recruiting front. Now we need another PF type player and a couple explosive guards in this class.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:26 pm

I just watched the video of Alex for the first time. He reminded me of a recruit from the Dick Walter's era (I think it was) from South Spencer..a kid named Kenny Perry. Bobby Knight came to see Kenny Play in Boonville one night when I was there watching. Alex can shoot it like Kenny could. Alex looks more comfortable facing the basket at this stage than with his back to it. Could pose a real match up challenge for defenders. Hard to tell from the video, he may be a step slower, again hard to tell. Either way, he can pass, shoot and block some shots at least vs the competition he was facing. Lets get some other good ones to go with him.

tomace44
Road Tripper

Postby tomace44 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:37 pm

Kenny Perry was a McDonalds All American when that meant some thing

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:18 pm

Kenny Perry didn't amount to a hill of beans. Most over rated player to come to Evansville

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:29 pm

letsgoAces wrote:Kenny Perry didn't amount to a hill of beans. Most over rated player to come to Evansville

Probably why Bobby Knight passed on him. He was far from the sharpest tool in the shed by all accounts. Alex only has one way to go compared to KP.

Return to “Class of 2018”