Recruiting

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Re: Recruiting

Postby letsgoAces » Tue May 22, 2018 8:44 am

Aces101 wrote:I agree - Silva is a young man at a crossroads of his life. Making a college choice is a tough decision, especially when you're weighing the thought of moving so far away from your family and support system. We do not know everything about this young man and should not rip on him. I like the potential of Roman and hope he decides to be an Ace, but we do not know what is going on behind the scenes. Is he weighing other options? Is he taking other visits? Is UE still interested, or did they lose interest after getting other commitments? Only time will tell.

I definitely concur with your take on Silva, though I personally don't think acecard meant to come across as harsh as it sounded. I know you follow Silva's tweets like I do, and the only basketball he has been mentioning the last few weeks is the NBA. All other tweets are just "stuff". To my knowledge he is not being offered by anyone else and no other visits lined up. We as fans are just left to guess what is going on in his mind...I still would love to have him. Though he is not a prototype of center I think McCarty is looking for he still, IMO, would be a force and better than what he now have. He is a talent and I do hope he ends up at a place where he can succeed.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Tue May 22, 2018 10:17 am

letsgoAces wrote:
Aces101 wrote:I agree - Silva is a young man at a crossroads of his life. Making a college choice is a tough decision, especially when you're weighing the thought of moving so far away from your family and support system. We do not know everything about this young man and should not rip on him. I like the potential of Roman and hope he decides to be an Ace, but we do not know what is going on behind the scenes. Is he weighing other options? Is he taking other visits? Is UE still interested, or did they lose interest after getting other commitments? Only time will tell.

I definitely concur with your take on Silva, though I personally don't think acecard meant to come across as harsh as it sounded. I know you follow Silva's tweets like I do, and the only basketball he has been mentioning the last few weeks is the NBA. All other tweets are just "stuff". To my knowledge he is not being offered by anyone else and no other visits lined up. We as fans are just left to guess what is going on in his mind...I still would love to have him. Though he is not a prototype of center I think McCarty is looking for he still, IMO, would be a force and better than what he now have. He is a talent and I do hope he ends up at a place where he can succeed.

LetsgoAces, you sound like a person I would like to know. You said it pretty much the way I wish I had said it. My opinion came from reading reading his twitter account which didn't have one mention of the Aces, or thanking them for an offer. I wonder how many of the indignant posters on this forum sent him a tweet telling him how much we wanted him, and what a great opportunity he would have playing for a coach like Walter, like I did.

ncace
Road Tripper

Postby ncace » Tue May 22, 2018 12:03 pm

It's amazing how more engaged we have been in the recruiting process since Walter and Co. Have been in place. Several of you are better connected than I, but it's been interesting to see the sheer # of transfers, following the kids' reactions on twitter, etc. And unlike the recent past, UE has been a PARTICIPANT in the process, not a bystander or afterthought. It'll be interesting to see if Walter has any other tricks up his sleeve. Yes, we might save the 13th scholly for next year, but I wouldn't be surprised us to get one more recruit, IF it'a guy who can play BIG (even if he's not 7-0) or who's athletic enough to add immediate value.

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:17 pm

Change of subject. I wonder if coach is looking at the Lander boy from Reitz. His AAU team was playing in St. Louis this past weekend (I believe), and that isn’t too bad of a trip to make. Kid is rated as the #2 PG in Indiana for the class of 21, and his dad has Harrison ties. These are the players we need to lock down, especially with our staff. Let’s see it happen.

https://amp.courierpress.com/amp/609353 ... ssion=true
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Tue May 22, 2018 12:25 pm

Ad1770 wrote:Change of subject. I wonder if coach is looking at the Lander boy from Reitz. His AAU team was playing in St. Louis this past weekend (I believe), and that isn’t too bad of a trip to make. Kid is rated as the #2 PG in Indiana for the class of 21, and his dad has Harrison ties. These are the players we need to lock down, especially with our staff. Let’s see it happen.

https://amp.courierpress.com/amp/609353 ... ssion=true

Certainly what I thought as I read the article.

ncace
Road Tripper

Postby ncace » Thu May 31, 2018 12:49 pm

Does anyone know whether we might be in contact with Mekowulu, the grad transfer from TN ST. He's a legit big, OVC def. player of the year, 6-9. Just what we need to close out the class. I suppose larger schools are in touch, but he's exactly the kind of recruit where Walt's contacts could make a huge difference.

rpyke
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 2003

Postby rpyke » Thu May 31, 2018 1:02 pm

Well, his major is social science. Do we offer any grad programs in that field? But I'd love to get a shot blocker in the paint.

ncace
Road Tripper

Postby ncace » Thu May 31, 2018 2:45 pm

MS Public Health or Public Serv. Admin. You never know. Might be a good fit as a next step for his studies.

stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1987

Postby stl scooter » Thu May 31, 2018 3:46 pm

ncace wrote:Does anyone know whether we might be in contact with Mekowulu, the grad transfer from TN ST. He's a legit big, OVC def. player of the year, 6-9. Just what we need to close out the class. I suppose larger schools are in touch, but he's exactly the kind of recruit where Walt's contacts could make a huge difference.

I was thinking about him when he undeclared for the NBA. His old head coach is now at Mo State.
#ACESACES #GetOnBoard #ImOnBoard

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Thu May 31, 2018 10:53 pm

stl scooter wrote:
ncace wrote:Does anyone know whether we might be in contact with Mekowulu, the grad transfer from TN ST. He's a legit big, OVC def. player of the year, 6-9. Just what we need to close out the class. I suppose larger schools are in touch, but he's exactly the kind of recruit where Walt's contacts could make a huge difference.

I was thinking about him when he undeclared for the NBA. His old head coach is now at Mo State.

He did visit Missouri State the weekend of May 12-13:
https://247sports.com/college/missouri-state/Board/59473/Contents/Christian-Mekowulu-grad-transfer-possibility--116503180

Sounds like Missouri State fans think 6-7 Obediah Church would give him a run for his money (if he elected to join the MSU squad) and not guaranteed the starting five spot.

"One thing I will say is that Obi is very underrated here on this board. He compares very well to Mekowulu overall. This isn't a situation where Mekowulu would waltz in and win that job without a fight from Obi."

I do to know if Evansville has contacted him.

Return to “Class of 2018”