Recruiting

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Re: Recruiting

Postby AcesHigh » Fri May 04, 2018 1:14 pm

It has occurred to me that we didn’t need to hire Coach McCarty or any of his assistants. We have more than enough here on this forum that know more about coaching, more about player personnel and more about recruiting than anyone on staff. Give it a rest and let them do their job.

stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1987

Postby stl scooter » Fri May 04, 2018 1:27 pm

PurpleWhiskers wrote:Coach McCarty inherited 6 players he didn't recruit for his system, lost the two best returning players, apparently lost the two November signees and entered the recruiting game a year later than every MVC team that hasn't had a recent coaching change AND, in spite of all of that, he is expected to increase attendance and have a stronger schedule out of the gate. Take a deep breath, next season isn't a make or break year for him. But it is a chance for all of us to watch a more exciting brand of basketball and preview the future. I'm excited about next season but I will stay grounded.

Excellent post!

When Joe Torre managed the Atlanta Braves from '82-'84 he finished 1st in '82, 2nd in '83, and 3rd in '84...then got fired. Most believe that if the Braves had reversed that order, he would have been extended.

Let's set are expectations low for this year.
#ACESACES #GetOnBoard #ImOnBoard

Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces101 » Fri May 04, 2018 2:01 pm

AD1770 - you are right on the money. This Lerch poster has done nothing but criticize since joining. As many of us know, people who feel they are the smartest in a meeting room or classroom often times are not.

UE11
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 2002

Postby UE11 » Fri May 04, 2018 2:05 pm

stl scooter wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:Coach McCarty inherited 6 players he didn't recruit for his system, lost the two best returning players, apparently lost the two November signees and entered the recruiting game a year later than every MVC team that hasn't had a recent coaching change AND, in spite of all of that, he is expected to increase attendance and have a stronger schedule out of the gate. Take a deep breath, next season isn't a make or break year for him. But it is a chance for all of us to watch a more exciting brand of basketball and preview the future. I'm excited about next season but I will stay grounded.

Excellent post!

When Joe Torre managed the Atlanta Braves from '82-'84 he finished 1st in '82, 2nd in '83, and 3rd in '84...then got fired. Most believe that if the Braves had reversed that order, he would have been extended.

Let's set are expectations low for this year.

I agree as well. To me, success in the upcomming year is defined by a cultrual and style change much more than by wins and losses. We could finish dead last and that would be fine with me so long as it looks like we are making progress toward something bigger a few years down the road.

NGU
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1989

Postby NGU » Fri May 04, 2018 4:13 pm

AcesHigh wrote:It has occurred to me that we didn’t need to hire Coach McCarty or any of his assistants. We have more than enough here on this forum that know more about coaching, more about player personnel and more about recruiting than anyone on staff. Give it a rest and let them do their job.

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN, AMEN.......
Personally I am with you "AcesHigh" I had no idea how many EXTEMELY TALENTED D1 COACHES ARE/WERE AMONGST US............WHY DID WE HIRE ANYONE????

"AcesHIgh" thanks for explaining to a "T" my thoughts EXACTLY!!!!

GO ACES, GO COACHES, GO FANS!

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Fri May 04, 2018 10:19 pm

AcesHigh wrote:It has occurred to me that we didn’t need to hire Coach McCarty or any of his assistants. We have more than enough here on this forum that know more about coaching, more about player personnel and more about recruiting than anyone on staff. Give it a rest and let them do their job.

What would you suggest we discuss instead?

211N-69
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 211N-69 » Fri May 04, 2018 10:39 pm

I hold caution about the outcome of the upcoming season. If it's what it was last year, that would be a slight disappointment only because I don't want my alma mater playing .500 ball and the PIG in the tournament. But to be honest, i wasn't overwhelmed with the players on the team last year though Taylor and Smith were clearly of an all-conference cut. The rest of these guys are role players. I like Riley but he needs to shoot more. Kuhlman stepped up and played better than he is. So did Frederking. The others ... meh? Big Chats needs some help.

Nothing wrong with that. McCarty has time to find some players so what I hope to see is a more interesting team this year and if it's .500 and shows it's on the right path, I can live with it. I do think there's more optimism on this board with the returning team than i am prepared to buy into. The new recruits are not on my radar. I don't care much about stats in YouTube videos when I have no idea what sort of coaching has occurred. When McCarty starts coaching, it won't be for YouTube highlights. Big difference.

I do know this about college ball now. You need to find people who can ding the long shot. That gets you some wins.
If you want to go farther than that in the post-season, you need people who can bang around inside, rebound, alter shots and clean up garbage.
I suspect the coaching staff is aware of that. If not, I'll send them an email and clarify what they need to know.

If the attendance is better, and it appears to be, then that's a plus. Making the program relevant starts at home. Evansville was once a city that lived for the Aces. There are those who apparently don't see that history as particularly useful. It's a new generation of fans and students. I get that. I am also pretty old and would like to see something resembling a program that reminds me of the "good old days."

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Sat May 05, 2018 5:25 pm

Courier Press article on three of the four new recruits and conversations with their new coaches:

DeAndre Williams
    Rosel Hurley
    Shamar Givance
Note: 6-3 G Jawaun Newton (El Paso, Texas) just officially signed yesterday afternoon - so hopefully there will be more on him soon as well.

Potential, versatility and competitiveness describe UE basketball newcomers

https://amp.courierpress.com/amp/583654002?__twitter_impression=true

First-year head coach Walter McCarty and his staff have signed three players and received a verbal commitment this week from another. That brings the total up to 10 players with a pair of 2018 offers pending and three scholarships available.

While the newcomers have been told by UE not to speak to media until it announces via press release, a few of their head coaches from this past season provided some insight into what the Purple Aces were receiving. Three of the four players have signed their national letter of intent.

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Mon May 07, 2018 7:14 pm

I only go back to the late 80's but have we ever had this much interest in recruits coming to UE?

Purp
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1974

Postby Purp » Mon May 07, 2018 9:15 pm

GoAcesgo wrote:I only go back to the late 80's but have we ever had this much interest in recruits coming to UE?

I don't think it's ever been quite like this. In fact, this board is usually pretty dead at this point in the year. I know I'm a lot more in tune with everything that's going on.

Return to “Class of 2018”