Recruiting

6th man
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Re: Recruiting

Postby 6th man » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:01 pm

https://www.mvcadmin.org/compliance/doc ... e_2016.pdf.

The “One year residence requirement” shall starts the date that a student transfer completes His NCAA requirement.

Unless a waiver or appeal is granted, a student-athlete who has triggered the application of the intra-conference transfer rule
may not compete in any sport at the certifying institution until after that student-athlete has served a one year residence requirement from the
official date of transfer

The “official date of transfer” shall be the date upon which the student-athlete satisfies
one of the conditions affecting transfer status under NCAA legislation to an institution
other than the initial institution.

So the MVC athlete has to complete the residence year separate from the NCAA transfer rule year.
It's a great time to be an Aces fan
#getonboard

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:22 pm

The ncaa has a committee that is studying the rules governing transfers between division I II and III schools. The idea is to make it easier for student athletes to transfer. There are a number of sites that have written on the current rules and proposed changes.

The study was started in January 2018 but I don’t think anything has been approved for implementation yet. They do mention that conferences have been free to establish their own rules that are more restrictive than the ncaa rules. The MVC has more restrictive rules and men’s basketball required a 2-year sitout for transfers between member schools. I believe that rule is still in effect.

The articles are an interesting read and will keep you up-to-date on how UE is affected by transfers.

purpleredbird
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1984

Postby purpleredbird » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:55 am

6th man wrote:https://www.mvcadmin.org/compliance/docs/MVC_Intra-Conference_Transfer_Rule_-_Revised_June_2016.pdf.

The “One year residence requirement” shall starts the date that a student transfer completes His NCAA requirement.

Unless a waiver or appeal is granted, a student-athlete who has triggered the application of the intra-conference transfer rule
may not compete in any sport at the certifying institution until after that student-athlete has served a one year residence requirement from the
official date of transfer

The “official date of transfer” shall be the date upon which the student-athlete satisfies
one of the conditions affecting transfer status under NCAA legislation to an institution
other than the initial institution.

So the MVC athlete has to complete the residence year separate from the NCAA transfer rule year.

Illinois State has this now with Matt Chastain. He is a local kid from a small town who got very hot at the end of this Senior year about 15 minutes from Bloomington-Normal. His final list came down to Utah (yes Pac-12 Utah), Loyola, and ISU to begin with, with him selecting Loyola because Porter had been recruiting him a lot longer than the others and he seems to be a very loyal kid. Was probably under-recruited a bit early since he played for a small school and was also getting D1 baseball offers as a pitcher.

The big city life in Chicago did not suite him at all so he transferred back home to ISU. He had to sit out last year and paid his own way to school, but is eligible to play this year. Expect him to be a contributor off the bench and is in the mold of a lot of ISU kids (6'6", long, very athletic). Assuming his ACL (I think) injury fully recovers, which it looks like it has given some of the pick-up ball I've seen this spring and summer, he is probably the most athletic kid on ISU, which says something.

Back to the topic though, he only had to sit out the one year, just like any other transfer, but he had to pay his own way. If he had bee put on scholarship he would have had to sit out 2 years I believe.

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:41 am

purpleredbird wrote:
Illinois State has this now with Matt Chastain. He is a local kid from a small town who got very hot at the end of this Senior year about 15 minutes from Bloomington-Normal. His final list came down to Utah (yes Pac-12 Utah), Loyola, and ISU to begin with, with him selecting Loyola because Porter had been recruiting him a lot longer than the others and he seems to be a very loyal kid. Was probably under-recruited a bit early since he played for a small school and was also getting D1 baseball offers as a pitcher.

The big city life in Chicago did not suite him at all so he transferred back home to ISU. He had to sit out last year and paid his own way to school, but is eligible to play this year. Expect him to be a contributor off the bench and is in the mold of a lot of ISU kids (6'6", long, very athletic). Assuming his ACL (I think) injury fully recovers, which it looks like it has given some of the pick-up ball I've seen this spring and summer, he is probably the most athletic kid on ISU, which says something.

Back to the topic though, he only had to sit out the one year, just like any other transfer, but he had to pay his own way. If he had bee put on scholarship he would have had to sit out 2 years I believe.

Is it correct to assume that Chastain applied for and received a medical redshirt for his year at Loyola and has 3 years left to play for ISU?

bikerace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1963

Postby bikerace » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:58 am

Troy Holston is on his official visit today at UofE

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:44 am

bikerace wrote:Troy Holston is on his official visit today at UofE

https://mobile.twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/1007610623562305536

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:03 am

Holston would be a good one year addition. At USF he played against a lot of top 50 competition. Video on him shows that he can drive and also put up the 3pt shot on the move. Also looks like he would fit in a uptemp defense if that is the route the Aces are taking.

ncace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:02 am

It'll be interesting to see how the Holston visit goes. I think we need a big more than an additional wing, but if he's truly healthy and recovered from all his knee problems, Holston appears to be a potential scorer that any team would want. From his twitter, he seems to have a great attitude, and my guess is that if Walter offers, Holston is #13. Please clarify, does he have one year or two years eligibility?

I suspect that Agau, who was my pick, is probably going to try to go high major. He wanted to transfer to Nebraska before he landed at SMU, but he's big and athletic enough that there'll be some power 5 school out there that can use the depth. Louisville wanted him pretty bad, but that doesn't appear to be in the cards (no pun intended). Agau brings a lot of attitude, which, if channeled in the right direction, could REALLY boost our prospects in the coming season.

Dastrup might be the best of the 3 long term, but he has to sit a year, and there's been nothing anywhere about teams that are interested in him. I still hope he is a priority, as 6-10 guys like Dastrup are not often available, especially this late in the recruiting cycle.

purpleredbird
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1984

Postby purpleredbird » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:49 am

Aces & Eights wrote:
purpleredbird wrote:

Is it correct to assume that Chastain applied for and received a medical redshirt for his year at Loyola and has 3 years left to play for ISU?

Correct. Matt will be a Sophomore on the roster for next year. I believe he only played in 3 games before getting hurt at Loyola.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:46 pm

ncace wrote:It'll be interesting to see how the Holston visit goes. I think we need a big more than an additional wing, but if he's truly healthy and recovered from all his knee problems, Holston appears to be a potential scorer that any team would want. From his twitter, he seems to have a great attitude, and my guess is that if Walter offers, Holston is #13. Please clarify, does he have one year or two years eligibility?

I suspect that Agau, who was my pick, is probably going to try to go high major. He wanted to transfer to Nebraska before he landed at SMU, but he's big and athletic enough that there'll be some power 5 school out there that can use the depth. Louisville wanted him pretty bad, but that doesn't appear to be in the cards (no pun intended). Agau brings a lot of attitude, which, if channeled in the right direction, could REALLY boost our prospects in the coming season.

Dastrup might be the best of the 3 long term, but he has to sit a year, and there's been nothing anywhere about teams that are interested in him. I still hope he is a priority, as 6-10 guys like Dastrup are not often available, especially this late in the recruiting cycle.

I have to trust Walter on the Holston visit. If he thinks that's the way to go, then who am I to say differently. I personally think the scholarship would be wasted on him as the Agau type of player is needed more than him. I still say if we can't get the kind of player that we want, and need, then hold the scholarship for next year.

Return to “Class of 2018”