Recruiting

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Re: Recruiting

Postby Ad1770 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:54 am

I noticed in the last aces insider that talked with DeAndre and Shea, it seemed like Juwaun was working the pick and roll with DeAndre. That is usually a play reserved for point guards as either a passing lane opens up, or they can step back and shoot. Does this potentially mean that Givance and Newton will be the two main ball handlers? Will be fun to see where it leads.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:00 am

Ad1770 wrote:I noticed in the last aces insider that talked with DeAndre and Shea, it seemed like Juwaun was working the pick and roll with DeAndre. That is usually a play reserved for point guards as either a passing lane opens up, or they can step back and shoot. Does this potentially mean that Givance and Newton will be the two main ball handlers? Will be fun to see where it leads.

At this point of time the coaches have the players play all the positons just to see how they do and to familiarize themselves with the entire system. I like your observations but I definitely would not read too much into that piece of video.

Purple&Orange
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1988

Postby Purple&Orange » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:49 pm

letsgoAces wrote:
Ad1770 wrote:I noticed in the last aces insider that talked with DeAndre and Shea, it seemed like Juwaun was working the pick and roll with DeAndre. That is usually a play reserved for point guards as either a passing lane opens up, or they can step back and shoot. Does this potentially mean that Givance and Newton will be the two main ball handlers? Will be fun to see where it leads.

At this point of time the coaches have the players play all the positons just to see how they do and to familiarize themselves with the entire system. I like your observations but I definitely would not read too much into that piece of video.

It could be nothing other than two guys working in a drill or could be something much bigger. I would imagine that a simple action like a pick and roll would be a staple of playing fast, especially if you can get a mismatch in transition to try to get an easy look before you get into a more complex 5 on 5 action. I'm sure everyone is going through the paces of various actions just to get a feel for things, especially something like a pick and roll does not necessarily have to involve a big but often it does so a like defender cannot just make an easy switch if it's two guards.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Or, they could just be running next man up drills, for the photo/video opps. To enhance the "Aces Insider" piece.

211N-69
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 211N-69 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:08 pm

acecard wrote:We aren't going to win the MVC, may even be a Thursday team, may even finish last because of all the above mentioned problems, but I'll bet money that we will be fun to watch. I'm with Tom, don't really care that much about the record, but I sure hope that there will be a lot of teams that won't want to play us in ST. LOUIS. I really believe that we will be a much better team in March, than we will be in November. Of course, we will have to stay pretty healthy. Injuries will kill any team.

The trick is to win 7 games at home out of 9 and to win 5 out of 9 on the road.
That is how you get a seed in Arch Madness.

NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Postby NumbersDontLie » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:08 pm

letsgoAces wrote:

The pick and roll is a basic play in 95% of basketball offenses over the last 15 years. Only problem is that UE was stuck in the 5% that rarely used on ball screens.

Any two players should be able to run and defend it.

bikerace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1963

Postby bikerace » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:10 am

Waiter and his whole staff was out to see Elijah Height 7' 1'' game changer at OKC prep school

UE11
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 2002

Postby UE11 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:47 am

211N-69 wrote:
acecard wrote:We aren't going to win the MVC, may even be a Thursday team, may even finish last because of all the above mentioned problems, but I'll bet money that we will be fun to watch. I'm with Tom, don't really care that much about the record, but I sure hope that there will be a lot of teams that won't want to play us in ST. LOUIS. I really believe that we will be a much better team in March, than we will be in November. Of course, we will have to stay pretty healthy. Injuries will kill any team.

The trick is to win 7 games at home out of 9 and to win 5 out of 9 on the road.
That is how you get a seed in Arch Madness.

I had a lot of smart comments for this, but I will just say, thanks, John Madden.

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:49 am

bikerace wrote:Waiter and his whole staff was out to see Elijah Height 7' 1'' game changer at OKC prep school

Do you have any more information on this kid? I can’t seem to find anything on Google.

rpyke
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 2003

Postby rpyke » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:58 am

https://mobile.twitter.com/coachroysd/s ... 4109175808

At least found this. Would be the same guy that connected us with Rosel, DeAndre and Silva. He's a 2019 recruit and received an offer from Walter.

Verbal commits link: http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/elijah-height

Return to “Class of 2018”