Dedric Boyd - PG (EKU Transfer)

acefan
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1962

Re: Dedric Boyd - PG (EKU Transfer)

Postby acefan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:50 am

Aces & Eights wrote:
purpleredbird wrote:Wouldn't count ISUr out just yet. Rumors in Bloomington-Normal is that 2 current players are going to be moved to walk-on status. I do know that they are actively recruiting another big as well for 2018, so doubt that they are done just yet.

I know you can take a walk on a give him a scholarship. Can the reverse be done?

Yes. If there is a player who has the means to pay his own way, the team can give the scholarship to another player. I'm pretty sure Louisville did this with Kyle Kuric, from Evansville Memorial, several years ago. There was discussion here on this board a couple years ago about Blake Simmons being taken off athletic scholarship so the scholarship could be used for another player.

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:53 am

3 Cases from Wiki of recent scholarship players giving up their scholarship and become a walk-on:
"Finally, in rare cases, an established scholarship player may become a walk-on in order to open up his or her scholarship for another player. Three such cases in men's college basketball have received notoriety in recent years:
In 2011–12, three Louisville scholarship players, most notably Kyle Kuric and Chris Smith, became walk-ons to bring the Cardinals' scholarship totals down to the NCAA limit of 13.[1]
In 2013–14, Creighton's Doug McDermott (the son of Creighton's head coach) became a walk-on after a teammate was granted a rare sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA, putting the Bluejays over the 13-scholarship limit.[2]
In 2014–15, Xavier starting center Matt Stainbrook enrolled in the school's MBA program and gave up his scholarship for his younger brother Tim, who had been a walk-on at Xavier the year before, in order to save their family a five-figure amount in school expenses. This led him to become a driver for the on-demand car service Uber, which gained him significant notoriety during that season."

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:52 am

acefan wrote:
Aces & Eights wrote:
purpleredbird wrote:Wouldn't count ISUr out just yet. Rumors in Bloomington-Normal is that 2 current players are going to be moved to walk-on status. I do know that they are actively recruiting another big as well for 2018, so doubt that they are done just yet.

I know you can take a walk on a give him a scholarship. Can the reverse be done?

Yes. If there is a player who has the means to pay his own way, the team can give the scholarship to another player. I'm pretty sure Louisville did this with Kyle Kuric, from Evansville Memorial, several years ago. There was discussion here on this board a couple years ago about Blake Simmons being taken off athletic scholarship so the scholarship could be used for another player.

At the time it seemed odd that Blake wouldn't take another free ride and walk-on to free up a scholarship. In retrospect, since Marty couldn't fill a full roster, giving one to Blake made the recruiting shortfall look better than it was. It was a clever strategy. I will always believe that Marty's loyalty to Blake as a starter cost him his job. On the plus side, it rid us of another decade of robotic slow ball.

stennisrm72
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby stennisrm72 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:43 pm

acefan wrote:
Aces & Eights wrote:

I don't think this has changed but children (and spouses) of UE employees get a free ride. I don't think a scholarship was spent on Blake. I could be 100% wrong about it. It's a moot issue now. Just thought I'd throw that out.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:02 pm

stennisrm72 wrote:
acefan wrote:
Aces & Eights wrote:I know you can take a walk on a give him a scholarship. Can the reverse be done?

I don't think this has changed but children (and spouses) of UE employees get a free ride. I don't think a scholarship was spent on Blake. I could be 100% wrong about it. It's a moot issue now. Just thought I'd throw that out.

For what it is worth, it was announced at the time that Blake received an athletic scholarship. If they rescinded it later, I am not aware of it.

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:20 pm

acefan wrote:
Aces & Eights wrote:I know you can take a walk on a give him a scholarship. Can the reverse be done?

There's no requirement that a player be financially able to pay his/her own way. Coaches have the discretion to rescind scholarships each academic year. I assume this happens a lot more than people know, since students who are on athletic scholarship at North Carolina and told to go, can easily transfer to South Carolina Upstate on athletic scholarship, rather than paying to attend UNC.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

acefan
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1962

Postby acefan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:27 pm

pafan wrote:
acefan wrote:

There's no requirement that a player be financially able to pay his/her own way. Coaches have the discretion to rescind scholarships each academic year. I assume this happens a lot more than people know, since students who are on athletic scholarship at North Carolina and told to go, can easily transfer to South Carolina Upstate on athletic scholarship, rather than paying to attend UNC.

Exactly, but the question was regarding the scholarship player staying on the team as a walk on.

purpleredbird
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1984

Postby purpleredbird » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:23 pm

Yes a scholarship player can move to a walk-on. Before the season started last year, Gassman was given a 1-year scholarship by Coach Muller since he had one left over. Was very clear that it was for one-year and we would go from there. Not saying Ike is losing his scholarship, but you certainly move to non-scholarship after having one. Remember that scholarships have to be renewed each year.

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:06 pm

Dedric Boyd ‼️
Dedric Boyd ‼️
@dboyd20_
Illinois State visit today

Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces101 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:48 pm

Just keep your fingers crossed that he has his final visit of his search at UE tomorrow or next weekend.

I assume he’ll also visit Bradley this weekend...just a guess.

Return to “Class of 2018”