Dedric Boyd - PG (EKU Transfer)

purpleredbird
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1984

Re: Dedric Boyd - PG (EKU Transfer)

Postby purpleredbird » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:44 am

Lerch wrote:Well-stated...the Redbirds annually have good INDIVIDUAL talent, but rarely develop into a Loyola-type unit by season's end.

Recall the following IL St 6'7" monster, who transferred to Oregon for his final yr. last season? If Muller had been a GOOD coach, this thought would've never crossed his mind:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... osh-1.html

Wow, where to start.

There's a long story around MM's transfer to Oregon from ISU that I won't get into here but it had nothing to do with Muller being a GOOD coach or not. A group of people outside of the program got into his ear. I would argue that it didn't turn out very well for him. He had a good year, but definitely did not raise his draft stock....and didn't get to play in the NCAAs either.

I seem to recall that ISU was 28-7 and 17-1 in the Valley just 2 years ago. Was a very balanced team that shared the ball very well. I have definitely seen Dan mature as a coach over the years to the point where he is a fairly decent game coach. Does he take chances on players from time-to-time, he certainly does. All good coaches usually do. He has also had 3 coaches from his staff get head coaching spots recently and a few others move on to larger programs, so I'm guessing his peers sure don't see him as a BAD coach.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:05 pm

purpleredbird wrote:
Lerch wrote:Well-stated...the Redbirds annually have good INDIVIDUAL talent, but rarely develop into a Loyola-type unit by season's end.

Recall the following IL St 6'7" monster, who transferred to Oregon for his final yr. last season? If Muller had been a GOOD coach, this thought would've never crossed his mind:

Wow, where to start.

There's a long story around MM's transfer to Oregon from ISU that I won't get into here but it had nothing to do with Muller being a GOOD coach or not. A group of people outside of the program got into his ear. I would argue that it didn't turn out very well for him. He had a good year, but definitely did not raise his draft stock....and didn't get to play in the NCAAs either.

I seem to recall that ISU was 28-7 and 17-1 in the Valley just 2 years ago. Was a very balanced team that shared the ball very well. I have definitely seen Dan mature as a coach over the years to the point where he is a fairly decent game coach. Does he take chances on players from time-to-time, he certainly does. All good coaches usually do. He has also had 3 coaches from his staff get head coaching spots recently and a few others move on to larger programs, so I'm guessing his peers sure don't see him as a BAD coach.

Sure, and one day Muller can springboard into a job at a halfway house or as a parole officer. He's that good. But isn't it strange that his staff can move on to higher programs while he stays in a one bid league getting a one bid league paycheck?

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:23 pm

PurpleWhiskers wrote:
purpleredbird wrote:

Wow, where to start.

Sure, and one day Muller can springboard into a job at a halfway house or as a parole officer. He's that good. But isn't it strange that his staff can move on to higher programs while he stays in a one bid league getting a one bid league paycheck?

Not quite sure why you are trashing the MVC. Pretty sure Mueller gets over $400, 000

Lerch
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1964

Postby Lerch » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:40 pm

purpleredbird wrote:

Wow, where to start.

Gee, I don't where to start. I'll keep it simple re: the 2016-17 IL State squad you reference, which was blown away by 20 pts. in the Arch Madness Finale v. the Shox and lost to UCF (who?) in the 2nd game of the NIT at the Redbird nest. Yes, they were SO GOOD that season that Wichita State received the only conference NCAA bid. With all those wins, makes one wonder WHY they never made the "dance?" Ya, I know...P5 won't schedule away games w/ MVC schools. Let me get my crying towel...

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2017/ ... nois-State

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:34 pm

letsgoAces wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:
purpleredbird wrote:
Wow, where to start.

Not quite sure why you are trashing the MVC. Pretty sure Mueller gets over $400, 000

I'm not trashing the MVC, I'm trashing Dan Muller. I was responding to an opinion that his peers have a high regard for him as evidenced by his staff getting promotions to larger programs. If the regard was that high, he would be getting the promotion to a larger program instead of or in addition to his staff. Larger programs generally prefer cleaner coaches and the exceptions want a bigger name than him. UK comes to mind. I call the MVC a one big league because...wait for it...they get one bid year after year. I don't believe they are being treated fairly and I believe they deserve at least two bids most years but the selection committee isn't there to be fair to mid-majors. They are there to sell TV ads targeted at as many eyeballs as possible.

Comin Up Aces
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 2003

Postby Comin Up Aces » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:16 pm

letsgoAces wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:
purpleredbird wrote:
Wow, where to start.

Closer to 600k IIRC, plus he's coaching at his alma mater. He's not too old for a D1 head coach (early 40s I believe?) so I'm thinking he's happy where he is for now

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:42 am

Illinois State job at present may be the best job in the MVC.

Here's hoping we can say that about Evansville real soon.

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:47 am

letsgoAces wrote:Illinois State job at present may be the best job in the MVC.
Attachments
8B9306C2-0CF6-4BB8-8362-7EFB1456287E.gif
Huh?!?!
8B9306C2-0CF6-4BB8-8362-7EFB1456287E.gif (243.79 KiB) Viewed 563 times
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

Lerch
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1964

Postby Lerch » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:37 pm

If Muller is making $600k/ yr., it pretty much explains why the State of IL colleges are experiencing such fiscal woes! :roll:

http://www.indianaeconomicdigest.net/ma ... leID=88606

Aces44
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1992

Postby Aces44 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:01 pm

letsgoAces wrote:Illinois State job at present may be the best job in the MVC.

Here's hoping we can say that about Evansville real soon.

I agree with this. Illinois State is set up to be the best job in the Valley. I don’t have a solid reason for their lack of success. I don’t like DM’s style at all, but I’m also not ready to throw it all at his feet either.

Return to “Class of 2018”