2018 TX PG JaWaun Newton

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Re: 2018 TX PG JaWaun Newton

Postby letsgoAces » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:21 am

This is a terrific signing and very very happy about it. But as I said on another thread JaWaun has little elevation on his shot and appears to need room to get it off. But if we are playing a fast temp game he should succeed and scorch the opposition. Definitely a good signing. Welcome JaWaun.

acefan
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1962

Postby acefan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:10 am

Verbal Commits shows Jawaun only having one other offer; that from Jackson St. Is that accurate?

If he's as talented as everyone here thinks he is and with a 3.5 GPA, why doesn't he have more offers? I'm as excited as the next guy about him coming to UE, but I'd be a bit more confident if he had more offers and from larger and better basketball schools than Jackson St. I'm confident in the abilities of this coaching staff and I know a lot of talented kids get overlooked, so I hope that's what has happened here. I would like to hear the opinions of others on this.

Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces101 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:15 am

I know that UTEP just visited him and his brother.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:26 am

acefan wrote:Verbal Commits shows Jawaun only having one other offer; that from Jackson St. Is that accurate?

If he's as talented as everyone here thinks he is and with a 3.5 GPA, why doesn't he have more offers? I'm as excited as the next guy about him coming to UE, but I'd be a bit more confident if he had more offers and from larger and better basketball schools than Jackson St. I'm confident in the abilities of this coaching staff and I know a lot of talented kids get overlooked, so I hope that's what has happened here. I would like to hear the opinions of others on this.

He had only the one other offer from Jackson State. Judging from his twitter account he was not getting any other offers. He has a lot of followers who want him to show what other larger schools gave up. My guess is their concerns were the same as mine - little elevation on his shot and seems to need enough room to get that shot off. However, that should not be as much of a concern in an up and down the floor type of game. This would have been a "bad recruit" for Marty - but not Coach McCarty.

Aces101
Head Cheerleader

Postby Aces101 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:56 am

The kid has game - can shoot from long distance, can take defenders off the dribble, can create his own shot, can finish above the rim, can pressure the ball defensively, was the El Paso player of the year, led his state (Texas class 5A) in scoring, is playing for a basketball prep academy, and has a winner’s mentality. He hungry and driven....he would not have been a “bad recruit” previously because he wouldn’t have even considered playing in that archaic system.

stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1987

Postby stl scooter » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:21 pm

Villanova is full of players that didn't pass the "eye test." They are just winners.
#ACESACES #GetOnBoard #ImOnBoard

Aces101
Head Cheerleader

Postby Aces101 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:16 pm

El Paso, TX Player of the Year for the second straight season

https://amp.elpasotimes.com/amp/5088110 ... ssion=true

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:07 pm

acefan wrote:Verbal Commits shows Jawaun only having one other offer; that from Jackson St. Is that accurate?

To be honest, i agree with you Acefan. I will trust the staff’s judgement on this one but i am a little worried about the lack of offers and the set shot. I do like that he can apparently handle the ball and pass though, we need PG’s and ball handling. Hopefully, we are both wrong and this turns out to be a fantastic signing.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:43 pm

Aces101 wrote:The kid has game - can shoot from long distance, can take defenders off the dribble, can create his own shot, can finish above the rim, can pressure the ball defensively, was the El Paso player of the year, led his state (Texas class 5A) in scoring, is playing for a basketball prep academy, and has a winner’s mentality. He hungry and driven....he would not have been a “bad recruit” previously because he wouldn’t have even considered playing in that archaic system.

I think JaWaun is going to be my new, favorite player ! I like the looks of his game, his family, his GPA, his BB IQ and his REVENGE TOUR Twitter Handle.
He can beat guys off the dribble, pass it, shoot it and he is a winner. I would take five of him any day. I am glass half full on JaWaun.
The only problem we have right now is we all have to wait six months to see any action.

Lerch
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1964

Postby Lerch » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:24 am

Why the absence of a C & P write up on JaWaun's signing? Need to keep the media ball rolling, thus maintaining 2018-19 season hype and season ticket sales.

Return to “Class of 2018”