2018 TX PG JaWaun Newton

acefan
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1962

Re: 2018 TX PG JaWaun Newton

Postby acefan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:40 am

Lerch wrote:Why the absence of a C & P write up on JaWaun's signing? Need to keep the media ball rolling, thus maintaining 2018-19 season hype and season ticket sales.

Here it is.
https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/college/evansville/2018/04/21/ue-basketball-lands-commitment-6-3-guard-jawaun-newton/539175002/

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:41 am

Lerch wrote:Why the absence of a C & P write up on JaWaun's signing? Need to keep the media ball rolling, thus maintaining 2018-19 season hype and season ticket sales.

Patience is the word. The C&P no longer does anything in real time. Since being engulfed in the USA Today family, recaps of sporting events are now second day news. Pat Hickey tweeted last week that he had articles on asst. coaches Graves and Lickliter for the Thursday and Saturday editions of the paper. I suspect you will see the signing reported on in the next day or two.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:17 am

Tom Servo wrote:
acefan wrote:Verbal Commits shows Jawaun only having one other offer; that from Jackson St. Is that accurate?

If he's as talented as everyone here thinks he is and with a 3.5 GPA, why doesn't he have more offers? I'm as excited as the next guy about him coming to UE, but I'd be a bit more confident if he had more offers and from larger and better basketball schools than Jackson St. I'm confident in the abilities of this coaching staff and I know a lot of talented kids get overlooked, so I hope that's what has happened here. I would like to hear the opinions of others on this.

To be honest, i agree with you Acefan. I will trust the staff’s judgement on this one but i am a little worried about the lack of offers and the set shot. I do like that he can apparently handle the ball and pass though, we need PG’s and ball handling. Hopefully, we are both wrong and this turns out to be a fantastic signing.

Slow-footed Blake Simmons also shoots a set shot and still managed to make 40% of the 118 3s he launched in Marty's mid-range offense. If you can manage to get them off, set shots are far more accurate than jump shots. Shooting while jumping adds a variable. I'm assuming that a McCarty offense would employ multiple 3-pt shooters making it difficult to key on all of them. Jawaun's set shot should be fine. But the single offer from a SWAC team is a troubling head scratcher. Lickliter was a Celtics talent scout so let's hope he found some talent that went unnoticed by others.

ncace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:44 am

A short note about JaWaun in today's Sports page, "In Brief". Lickliter article on p. 1. I'm sure we have media folks/contacts on this board from time to time, and for those of us who have the free time to follow, this site is great. However, I also have to somewhat agree with Lerch on this one, too. Walter and Co. have gotten a bunch of dormant fans "On Board", and we will help ourselves by doing anything possible to maintain/increase coverage and the intensity.

At the same time, there are also NCAA rules that must be followed, and it's easy to assume that your school can announce at the same time we see it on twitter, Verbal Commits, etc. Social media is fine, but it's social, not official. It's also not a good idea to fully count on a recruit until we have a LOI. Similarly to the Sparks coaching announcement, UE doesn't want to "walk back" an article that's released by the Univ.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:12 am

ncace wrote:A short note about JaWaun in today's Sports page, "In Brief". Lickliter article on p. 1. I'm sure we have media folks/contacts on this board from time to time, and for those of us who have the free time to follow, this site is great. However, I also have to somewhat agree with Lerch on this one, too. Walter and Co. have gotten a bunch of dormant fans "On Board", and we will help ourselves by doing anything possible to maintain/increase coverage and the intensity.

At the same time, there are also NCAA rules that must be followed, and it's easy to assume that your school can announce at the same time we see it on twitter, Verbal Commits, etc. Social media is fine, but it's social, not official. It's also not a good idea to fully count on a recruit until we have a LOI. Similarly to the Sparks coaching announcement, UE doesn't want to "walk back" an article that's released by the Univ.

Thank you. Important words to live by.

pmh24
Evansville Courier & Press
Evansville Courier & Press
Fan Since: 2011

Postby pmh24 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:48 am

We would love to have full stories on recruits who commit as soon as possible, like just about every other decent-sized newspaper in the country does. It is difficult, and uncommon/outdated practice, when said recruits as well as their coaches and parents, are told by UE not to talk to the media until UE releases the news. My hands are tied until these recruits are able to talk.

ncace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:04 pm

You do a great job. Most of us have a direct Aces connection, either as long-time fans and insiders, or as somewhat remote grads or sympathizers who are just thrilled to following the program with a positive eye to the future. Anticipation about news regarding the ACES is ramping up in lockstep with new tic sales, coaching staff, and early recruiting success. This is becoming contagious, which is also good for the media. A win for everyone, but also a bit of a challenging reset that we know you are embracing. THANK YOU.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:38 pm

PurpleWhiskers wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:
acefan wrote:Verbal Commits shows Jawaun only having one other offer; that from Jackson St. Is that accurate?

If he's as talented as everyone here thinks he is and with a 3.5 GPA, why doesn't he have more offers? I'm as excited as the next guy about him coming to UE, but I'd be a bit more confident if he had more offers and from larger and better basketball schools than Jackson St. I'm confident in the abilities of this coaching staff and I know a lot of talented kids get overlooked, so I hope that's what has happened here. I would like to hear the opinions of others on this.

To be honest, i agree with you Acefan. I will trust the staff’s judgement on this one but i am a little worried about the lack of offers and the set shot. I do like that he can apparently handle the ball and pass though, we need PG’s and ball handling. Hopefully, we are both wrong and this turns out to be a fantastic signing.

Slow-footed Blake Simmons also shoots a set shot and still managed to make 40% of the 118 3s he launched in Marty's mid-range offense. If you can manage to get them off, set shots are far more accurate than jump shots. Shooting while jumping adds a variable. I'm assuming that a McCarty offense would employ multiple 3-pt shooters making it difficult to key on all of them. Jawaun's set shot should be fine. But the single offer from a SWAC team is a troubling head scratcher. Lickliter was a Celtics talent scout so let's hope he found some talent that went unnoticed by others.

True, good points
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

tomace44
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1971

Postby tomace44 » Sat May 05, 2018 6:22 pm

SIGNED LOI to UE

Return to “Class of 2018”