6'10" Javon White - Oral Roberts (2 yrs. left) 10ppg/10 reb

Lerch
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1964

6'10" Javon White - Oral Roberts (2 yrs. left) 10ppg/10 reb

Postby Lerch » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:59 pm

https://twitter.com/packhoops/status/98 ... 97984?s=11

If I were Walter, I'd be camping on this young man's doorstep! Just announced on 4/22/18.

Lerch
Ford Center Regular

Re: 6'10" Javon White - Oral Roberts (2 yrs. left) 10ppg/10 reb

Postby Lerch » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:34 pm

Lerch
Ford Center Regular

Postby Lerch » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:38 pm

Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces101 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Unless I read that wrong, this kid already played 2 seasons and burned his redshirt. If he transfers to a D1, he’ll have to sit out and would lose a year of eligibility. Not sure why’d we want a 1-year player.

Lerch
Ford Center Regular

Postby Lerch » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:16 am

You're correct...the media was wrong. Five (5) yrs. to get four (4) yrs. of p/t, although in selected cases (medical RS), a 6th season has been allowed. Not sure if White's situation warrants such consideration, but also can't figure WHY they'd be "marketing" him for 2 more yrs. of eligibility?

Bottom line re: White, is that you're virtually assured of experienced productivity in the paint for a year DOWN THE ROAD, when it's only cost you 2 yrs. of scholarship. How many mid-majors gamble on a "big" for 5 yrs. and see minimal results? Some of you think that UE BECAUSE of McCarty is going to pull P5 players "out of the blue sky." You're in for a big surprise, as the formula for success in recruiting is far more complicated.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:45 am

Lerch wrote:You're correct...the media was wrong. Five (5) yrs. to get four (4) yrs. of p/t, although in selected cases (medical RS), a 6th season has been allowed. Not sure if White's situation warrants such consideration, but also can't figure WHY they'd be "marketing" him for 2 more yrs. of eligibility?

Bottom line re: White, is that you're virtually assured of experienced productivity in the paint for a year DOWN THE ROAD, when it's only cost you 2 yrs. of scholarship. How many mid-majors gamble on a "big" for 5 yrs. and see minimal results? Some of you think that UE BECAUSE of McCarty is going to pull P5 players "out of the blue sky." You're in for a big surprise, as the formula for success in recruiting is far more complicated.

I doubt that any of us believe that McCarty is going to pull P5 players out of the blue sky. It is true that a lot of P5 players discovered that P5 skies weren't blue to them after they arrived and were shown a folding chair at the other end from where the coach sits. Offering a disgruntled P5 transfer is cheap, I see no reason not to make the attempt.

But surprise me with your special insight, what is the complicated formula for success in recruiting that we are missing? The more detail you can give, the better. Being vague won't be useful.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:13 am

PurpleWhiskers wrote:
Lerch wrote:You're correct...the media was wrong. Five (5) yrs. to get four (4) yrs. of p/t, although in selected cases (medical RS), a 6th season has been allowed. Not sure if White's situation warrants such consideration, but also can't figure WHY they'd be "marketing" him for 2 more yrs. of eligibility?

I doubt that any of us believe that McCarty is going to pull P5 players out of the blue sky. It is true that a lot of P5 players discovered that P5 skies weren't blue to them after they arrived and were shown a folding chair at the other end from where the coach sits. Offering a disgruntled P5 transfer is cheap, I see no reason not to make the attempt.

But surprise me with your special insight, what is the complicated formula for success in recruiting that we are missing? The more detail you can give, the better. Being vague won't be useful.

I completely agree with every word said by purplewhiskers.

Lerch
Ford Center Regular

Postby Lerch » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:16 am

First of all, not all Div I transfers are "disgruntled." If you approach recruiting like this, you're in for a shock. People change & mature significantly after 2-3 yrs., resetting goals. The NCAA, in recognition of his factor, have loosened their TRANSFER rules over the yrs., thus allowing student-athletes an opportunity for a BETTER match. This especially is true when coaching changes occur.

As far as the "complicated" factor, if anyone knew the precise formula, Johny Wooden's long-held record for consecutive NCAA Championships would not seem out of reach, would it?

Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces101 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:23 am

I played a college sport and transferred. There are many reasons why it happens. I just do not see the need to bring a guy in to sit one year and play one year. That scholarship could be used on a player who is able to play both of those seasons.

I’m fine with bringing in transfers who have 2-3 years of playing time eligibility because the wait/scholarship is worth the development and commitment.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:34 am

Kids change schools for a variety of reasons, not entirely basketball related. NCAA schools decide for themselves, at this point, if they allow a player to transfer or not. That is not regulated by the NCAA at this point, though there has been some discussion,

Return to “Class of 2018”