2018 PG CA Shamar Samuels-Givance

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Re: 2018 PG CA Shamar Samuels-Givance

Postby GoAcesgo » Tue May 01, 2018 5:06 pm

Looks like he really came on strong the last couple of recent tournaments one of which his team won.
I think he is what we need a great ballhandler that can push the ball.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Tue May 01, 2018 6:28 pm

Via email & PM, have been made quite aware that 1/2 of members in here, don't even read or discard my comments as rubbish.
But, I have to say if Coach Simmons would have used a slot for a 5'8" PG, there are countless numbers of PAfans members that would have wanted to have him certified and committed, before morning.
I hope this kid surprises us all and is the second coming of Mugsy & Spud, rolled into one.
But......he's a full 5 inches shorter than Fred, JayB, Paris, or Ned.
Smaller even than Harris Brown or Jayson....And, I don't see this guy to have anywhere near the range or hops, of any one of them.
And, his moves through the lane and towards the hoop.....I don't think will work out that well, this side of the border, like they do in Canada.

Like I said, hope he proves me wrong.
I'm on board and have been since, March 21.
Just don't want to be dissapointed in Coach McCarty's recruits, in his first season, just trying to fill the roster.
I feel, someone had to say it.

PurpleAces
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1980

Postby PurpleAces » Tue May 01, 2018 6:42 pm

COUTEAU wrote:Via email & PM, have been made quite aware that 1/2 of members in here, don't even read or discard my comments as rubbish.
But, I have to say if Coach Simmons would have used a slot for a 5'8" PG, there are countless numbers of PAfans members that would have wanted to have him certified and committed, before morning.
I hope this kid surprises us all and is the second coming of Mugsy & Spud, rolled into one.
But......he's a full 5 inches shorter than Fred, JayB, Paris, or Ned.
Smaller even than Harris Brown or Jayson....And, I don't see this guy to have anywhere near the range or hops, of any one of them.
And, his moves through the lane and towards the hoop.....I don't think will work out that well, this side of the border, like they do in Canada.

Like I said, hope he proves me wrong.
I'm on board and have been since, March 21.
Just don't want to be dissapointed in Coach McCarty's recruits, in his first season, just trying to fill the roster.
I feel, someone had to say it.

He has already said he wouldn't fill the roster just to fill it. He obviously sees something in this kid. He will fit his system.

rpyke
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 2003

Postby rpyke » Tue May 01, 2018 6:50 pm

All I'm going to say about the barking of the commitment of Shamar is that people complained we didn't recruit Mekhi well enough and land him.

Aces101
Head Cheerleader

Postby Aces101 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:26 pm

Most of the sites I see state he is now 5’10”. I see plenty of explore, athletic plays from this kid. He played Prep School basketball in Washington, PA (just south of Pittsburgh) so I think he knows how to play basketball south of the border.

Would you not have wanted Lairy to play for the Aces? I have a hunch that if McCarty were here a year earlier, Lairy would be an Ace.

By the way, Tyrone Bogues was 5’3”....a full 7” shorter that this guy.

When Jayson was referenced earlier as a comparison about hops, was that about Jason Holsinger? If so, he was a Merfeld recruit (played two years under him and Simmons), and was 5’11”, so only an inch taller. Additionally, this kid is much quicker and more athletic than Holsinger. Harris Brown was 5’11”, so only 1 inch taller.

ncace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Tue May 01, 2018 7:57 pm

I preferred T J Washington, but we'll need 2 PGs to compete, IMHO. Maybe Washington is still avail. I would have also preferred Lairy to Samuels-Givance, but that is just my Evansville, local bias, and the ship has sailed. So, I trust in Walter and his assts. to make choices. I suspect the staff saw Shamar in person over the weekend and liked what they saw. I'm going to trust them to evaluate the talent, and while I would have preferred a 6-3 or 6-4 PG, there are good examples where a small guy can be an asset.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Tue May 01, 2018 8:15 pm

Aces101 wrote:Most of the sites I see state he is now 5’10”. I see plenty of explore, athletic plays from this kid. He played Prep School basketball in Washington, PA (just south of Pittsburgh) so I think he knows how to play basketball south of the border.

Would you not have wanted Lairy to play for the Aces? I have a hunch that if McCarty were here a year earlier, Lairy would be an Ace.

By the way, Tyrone Bogues was 5’3”....a full 7” shorter that this guy.

When Jayson was referenced earlier as a comparison about hops, was that about Jason Holsinger? If so, he was a Merfeld recruit (played two years under him and Simmons), and was 5’11”, so only an inch taller. Additionally, this kid is much quicker and more athletic than Holsinger. Harris Brown was 5’11”, so only 1 inch taller.

He's 5'8".
Here's his verbal commitment link and stats

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/sh ... ls-givance

I mentioned Mugsy Bowles & Spud Webb, in my original post.
And hope Shamar will be better than all of them.
Jayson (as a Merfield recruit) was 5'11" and elevated 28-30, on his shot.
Shamar, no where near the jump shot form of Harris, JayB, or Ned.
Just not hoping Coach isn't looking for warm bodies.

I'm on board.
go aces

Aces101
Head Cheerleader

Postby Aces101 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:20 pm

His high/prep school roster lists him as 5’10” so who knows: http://www.flcahoops.com/roster/shamar-givance/

ncace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Tue May 01, 2018 8:37 pm

Utah Valley just picked up an Ok st. Transfer PG Brandon Averette. Maybe we still get T J. IMHO, he looks ready to play this year. Note earlier post from aces101. I like Washington getting major minutes this coming season, with Shamar as back up and time to develop.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Tue May 01, 2018 8:38 pm

http://www.flcahoops.com/roster/shamar-givance-2/

This one lists him at 5'11".
That's three inches, in an afternoon.
Perhaps, he'll measure in at 6'4", by October?..... 8-)

I'm on board
go aces

Return to “Class of 2018”