2018 PG CA Shamar Samuels-Givance

NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Re: 2018 PG CA Shamar Samuels-Givance

Postby NumbersDontLie » Tue May 01, 2018 8:52 pm

COUTEAU wrote:Via email & PM, have been made quite aware that 1/2 of members in here, don't even read or discard my comments as rubbish.
But, I have to say if Coach Simmons would have used a slot for a 5'8" PG, there are countless numbers of PAfans members that would have wanted to have him certified and committed, before morning.
I hope this kid surprises us all and is the second coming of Mugsy & Spud, rolled into one.
But......he's a full 5 inches shorter than Fred, JayB, Paris, or Ned.
Smaller even than Harris Brown or Jayson....And, I don't see this guy to have anywhere near the range or hops, of any one of them.
And, his moves through the lane and towards the hoop.....I don't think will work out that well, this side of the border, like they do in Canada.

Like I said, hope he proves me wrong.
I'm on board and have been since, March 21.
Just don't want to be dissapointed in Coach McCarty's recruits, in his first season, just trying to fill the roster.
I feel, someone had to say it.

Nice Strawman argument there. Coach Simmons is gone, so who cares if he would have offered him?

And if you think Ned Cox or Troy Taylor were really 6’1 and 6’0, I’ve got some beachfront property in Omaha to sell you.

Tyler Ulis worked out pretty well for UK. Players can play. Regardless of size.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Tue May 01, 2018 9:21 pm

If this kid could not play or would not fit in, he would not have been offered to wear the Purple and Orange.

Go Aces !

Purplewarrior
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1976

Postby Purplewarrior » Tue May 01, 2018 9:49 pm

Keep in mind when people mention High Point the head Coach is Tubby Smith a winner who likes and recruits quality players.

wildbill
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1975

Postby wildbill » Tue May 01, 2018 9:58 pm

I really like how this team is forming. Seriously, I like the kids Coach has gotten to commit. With our returning kids, we have a very good chance to be in the middle of the MVC pack. I do not believe any of the kids we got to commit are just "warm bodies to fill up a roster." I think our staff has worked really hard to try to get the up tempo, athletic kids for our new system. This season sounds very exciting, cannot wait.
:x The Boys Are Coming Back :lol:

NGU
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1989

Postby NGU » Tue May 01, 2018 10:05 pm

COUTEAU wrote:Via email & PM, have been made quite aware that 1/2 of members in here, don't even read or discard my comments as rubbish.
But, I have to say if Coach Simmons would have used a slot for a 5'8" PG, there are countless numbers of PAfans members that would have wanted to have him certified and committed, before morning.
I hope this kid surprises us all and is the second coming of Mugsy & Spud, rolled into one.
Smaller even than Harris Brown or Jayson....And, I don't see this guy to have anywhere near the range or hops, of any one of them.
And, his moves through the lane and towards the hoop.....I don't think will work out that well, this side of the border, like they do in Canada.

Just don't want to be dissapointed in Coach McCarty's recruits, in his first season, just trying to fill the roster.

Quit kidding yourself that only 50% delete your posts........it may be closer to 90%.
Please drink your half empty cup of life and MOVE ON!
I feel, someone had to say it.[/quote]

51ACE
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1978

Postby 51ACE » Tue May 01, 2018 10:09 pm

I like him.....no doubt in my mind that he could be a solid point guard. As many are mentioning, I trust coach McCarty and his staff to make the proper decisions with this recruiting class. In my opinion this is what we have all been wanting, a point guard that can push the ball up the court, penetrate, find the open man or pull up an hit a jumper. He reminds me somewhat of the Daniel Sackey kid we offered a while back, but chose to go to Valpo instead. I was a big fan of his, and I have the same feeling about Shamar.

rpyke
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 2003

Postby rpyke » Tue May 01, 2018 10:14 pm

He isn't scared to attack the trees, he's very quick, has good court vision, likes to get his teammates involved with oops. His jumper looks pure. I'll take him whether he's 5'8 5'9 5'11 6'7, welcome Shamar. Glad you chose Evansville.

wildbill
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1975

Postby wildbill » Tue May 01, 2018 10:18 pm

I really like this recruit. His short stature will not hamper him in our system.

Like I said before, now go sign Silva and we can call it a very good class for our coaching staff.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Wed May 02, 2018 8:12 am

I'm cautiously optimistic...I'm going to trust the staff on this one. I do like the quickness and the passing ability. He does seem like a natural point guard, so that is a huge plus. I understand Couteau's point though...the only difference is Simmons was recruiting guys at that size who were "combo guards" which means they are really a shooting guard in a PG's body. That's not good...small shooting guards don't work. Since this guy appears to be a natural PG...I could see it working.

That's just my stance on it.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Wed May 02, 2018 8:28 am

I understand what you are saying Couteau, and I always respect and enjoy your take on things. Some have over-reacted to your post. :roll:
When a team has gone through 11 years of "groundhog day" as the Aces Basketball programs has under the past coaching regime there would have been a lot more skepticism over a 5"7 recruit. I am still a bit skeptical...I base my knowledge on just bits of video tape only. McCarty has seen him and at this point I am going to give him the benefit. To Aces's fans credit they are willing to trust the coach as well. He is putting in his own offense and he knows what he wants. We will know in good time if this works out as well as we hope.

Return to “Class of 2018”