2018 PF Will Becker (CO)

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Re: 2018 PF Will Becker (CO)

Postby Tom Servo » Fri May 11, 2018 8:22 am

To be completely honest...I'm not so sure Becker isn't more of a fit to what McCarty apparently wants to do than Silva is. I'd love to have both..but I think Becker will run the floor a little better and can play on the perimeter. The Celtics love to have a shooting big man who plays on the perimeter as did Butler, and Becker could do that..Silva, maybe not as much. I think he's more of a classic dump the ball down and let him go to work type of player. Who knows...

But you are right....Becker is the prototype Wisconsin player...which isn't a good sign. I think he could do really well here.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Fri May 11, 2018 8:50 am

Tom Servo wrote:To be completely honest...I'm not so sure Becker isn't more of a fit to what McCarty apparently wants to do than Silva is. I'd love to have both..but I think Becker will run the floor a little better and can play on the perimeter. The Celtics love to have a shooting big man who plays on the perimeter as did Butler, and Becker could do that..Silva, maybe not as much. I think he's more of a classic dump the ball down and let him go to work type of player. Who knows...

But you are right....Becker is the prototype Wisconsin player...which isn't a good sign. I think he could do really well here.

I had the same thoughts as you, Tom. You may be right. But besides his obvious size, I love Silva's foot work and the way he positions himself around the basket. He has some girth as well, Kind of reminds me of Dan Godfried but even better. Would hate to lose out on him, but Becker conceivably could fit McCarty's offense better. Let's just hope we land one of the two...and even better to get jean-Louis.
Last edited by letsgoAces on Fri May 11, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces101 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:56 am

Silva has never posted anything about college teams except for his discussion about the Aces. He has gone off the grid lately about anything basketball related. He's either not going to play or has a decision in mind but not sharing it with the world. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Fri May 11, 2018 9:01 am

letsgoAces wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:To be completely honest...I'm not so sure Becker isn't more of a fit to what McCarty apparently wants to do than Silva is. I'd love to have both..but I think Becker will run the floor a little better and can play on the perimeter. The Celtics love to have a shooting big man who plays on the perimeter as did Butler, and Becker could do that..Silva, maybe not as much. I think he's more of a classic dump the ball down and let him go to work type of player. Who knows...

I had the same thoughts as you, Tom. You may be right. But besides his obvious size, I love Silva's foot work and the way he positions himself around the basket. He has some girth as well, Kind of reminds me of Dan Godfried but even better. Would hate to lose out on him, but Becker conceivably could fit McCarty's offense better. Let's just hope we land one of the two...and even better to get jean-Louis.

Agree completely!
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1987

Postby stl scooter » Fri May 11, 2018 9:27 am

Aces101 wrote:Silva has never posted anything about college teams except for his discussion about the Aces. He has gone off the grid lately about anything basketball related. He's either not going to play or has a decision in mind but not sharing it with the world. I'm cautiously hopeful.

I think some players are still waiting on grades or test results.
#ForTheAces #GetOnBoard #ImOnBoard

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Fri May 11, 2018 9:54 am

I have been told by someone in the know that Silva wants to come here, and we offered, so million dollar question, why have we not signed him, can we move on if they wait to late to sign...idk

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Fri May 11, 2018 10:15 am

It would seem if Silva wanted to sign he would have. If Aces wanted to withdraw their offer they could have done that already but have not.

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Fri May 11, 2018 10:29 am

I did read that a verbal offer is not a binding contract, idk i think something is a little odd, im wondering if it's his years of eligibility.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Fri May 11, 2018 11:20 am

Correct, a verbal commit is nonbinding.

Silva has granted his release from UTEP when Tim Floyd was fired. He then went to a prep-school - I don't know why years of eligibility would be an issue.

Ad1770
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:24 am

GoAcesgo wrote:I have been told by someone in the know that Silva wants to come here, and we offered, so million dollar question, why have we not signed him, can we move on if they wait to late to sign...idk

The more I look into things, the more I believe this is about test scores. If he took the SAT on May 5 (which may be very possible considering his basketball schedule), the results will not be posted until May 18-24. That is actually two days after the signing period ends. I have a feeling that this one might be a find out when he signs up for classes.

What I can’t figure out is why a discussion about Silva is going on on Will Becker’s thread. Silva does have his own, although I can understand how a tangent can happen.

Let’s get Silva, Jean-Louis, and Becker, and I think we really get rolling next year.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

Return to “Class of 2018”