2018 PF Will Becker (CO)

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Re: 2018 PF Will Becker (CO)

Postby Tom Servo » Mon May 14, 2018 9:03 am

Agreed, good read, thank you for sharing. I see him as someone who has a ton of potential that hasn't really been tapped into. If someone that big has the ability to shoot from the perimeter and is extremely athletic, like he is, he be a huge get for UE. That's why so many of us continually ripped our hair out with the whole Sawvell fiasco. Super athletic, shooting 6'8-6'9 guys don't grow on trees so you certainly don't want to waste them if you do get lucky enough to get one.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Mon May 14, 2018 9:14 am

It is true, Becker's numbers won't wow you but given the other talent his high school team it is understandable. Given the opportunity he had in the tournament he was able to show off his talent. No question he is an athlete, but a guy who has been under the radar. I like that he can drive as well as shoot the three, and is very adept at blocking shots. He could be quite a steal.

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Mon May 14, 2018 9:23 am

Looks great, I have a theory I think we are playing the waiting game on Silva because he didn't sign right away, and because of Becker, if Becker doesn't sign we will pick up Silva, if he is available...I think Becker type of players are a better fit into the system McCarty will run.

Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces101 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:39 am

The concerning point is the talent of the opponent. Colorado isn’t known for its high school basketball. Why isn’t he being recruited by Colorado or Colorado St?

Anyway, I like his potential and would love to see him at UE.

ncace
Road Tripper

Postby ncace » Mon May 14, 2018 10:11 am

This kid would fit Walter's system really well. Add 15-20 lbs. to his frame, and he'd be a real force. It's been stated that he's under the radar, and his CO background doesn't concern me. Their team played well against kids from other parts of the country, and in fact, there are at least 4 other kids on the team who hold D1 offers. Some of them are 2019 kids, but there is talent everywhere. Has anyone seen anything to indicate that Becker is going to visit UE?

SI_Acesfan
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1967

Postby SI_Acesfan » Mon May 14, 2018 10:27 am

Tom Servo wrote:To be completely honest...I'm not so sure Becker isn't more of a fit to what McCarty apparently wants to do than Silva is. I'd love to have both..but I think Becker will run the floor a little better and can play on the perimeter. The Celtics love to have a shooting big man who plays on the perimeter as did Butler, and Becker could do that..Silva, maybe not as much. I think he's more of a classic dump the ball down and let him go to work type of player. Who knows...

But you are right....Becker is the prototype Wisconsin player...which isn't a good sign. I think he could do really well here.

You read my mind as well. He is a better fit. Definitely runs the floor better. Better mobility, better motor. Equal or better outside shooter. Isn't as skilled with the post moves. But, more tools in the toolbox. Quite frankly, Silva concerns me, defensively speaking. Especially considering Walter wants to play at a quicker pace and press our opponents. Silva needs a lot of work with regard to his lateral mobility.

I hope Walter can work his magic in the next couple of days and get Becker signed.

If we can get Becker and a 1 year rental from Feehan, I would call that a very good overall scenario for us. We should be a little patient with our team and our scholarship management. Most of our holes would be plugged. Having 3 open scholarships for next fall is how we set ourselves up to keep moving the program upward vs. a continuous cycle of scrambling in May or having only one to give in the fall.

ncace
Road Tripper

Postby ncace » Mon May 14, 2018 10:44 am

Got it. Just a hunch, but I'm thinking Silva is somehow waiting for a magic D1 offer from a school in California...but the fact that he doesn't appear to have one yet probably means that other teams have big questions about him. My guess is that he might go D2 in Calif., rather that relocate to the midwest.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Mon May 14, 2018 9:58 pm

My gut tells me Silva will not be wearing the purple and orange. Been too long. Something just smells on this one. I agree he is not the best fit for the new system based on all I have heard and read.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Mon May 14, 2018 10:12 pm

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:My gut tells me Silva will not be wearing the purple and orange. Been too long. Something just smells on this one. I agree he is not the best fit for the new system based on all I have heard and read.

Bleed, I think you are correct.

NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Postby NumbersDontLie » Tue May 15, 2018 8:08 pm

ncace wrote:This kid would fit Walter's system really well. Add 15-20 lbs. to his frame, and he'd be a real force. It's been stated that he's under the radar, and his CO background doesn't concern me. Their team played well against kids from other parts of the country, and in fact, there are at least 4 other kids on the team who hold D1 offers. Some of them are 2019 kids, but there is talent everywhere. Has anyone seen anything to indicate that Becker is going to visit UE?

Heard that Will and family were on campus Monday. Don’t know any more than that.

Return to “Class of 2018”