Discussions of all the Aces sports
muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

What are our needs

Postby muni cup14 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:16 am

According to a article Marty is wanting to sign one JC player to fill
One of our 2 scholarships available.Questions,would we want a shooting guard,
Or one of the power forwards.What if 2 of the JC players want to sign,do we sign both.
I'm starting to believe we don't have a chance with any of the freshman we are currently
Looking at.Or do we get the best 2 available players.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Re: What are our needs

Postby acecard » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:41 am

All good questions. That Darrington kid out of Vincennes JC might be a good pickup, but you can never have too many GOOD power forwards. TWO guards would not be good in my opinion.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:33 am

A big man is desperately needed. Traore a big question mark with his physical problems and there is no viable depth at all. Aces also need a offensive threat who can drive and also hit the three. If Tai Bibbs is out of reach I then sign both Vance Johnson and Marty Hill together. Both can score and would be important upgrades for the Aces. I understand the JUCO factor with Marty - but I just can't see how those two kids would not get significant minutes for Evansville - it's not like the competition they would be facing among their teammates would be that strong.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:37 pm

I have heard before they will get the best available player regardless of position. I agree two guards is not what we need the most. We need some size. The JC route has not proven to be of any real help imho over the last ten years. However if we can't get any decent freshman, it may be the next best option. Not happy we have not landed someone really solid by now with at least one of those two open scholarships.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:55 pm

letsgoAces wrote:A big man is desperately needed. Traore a big question mark with his physical problems and there is no viable depth at all. Aces also need a offensive threat who can drive and also hit the three. If Tai Bibbs is out of reach I then sign both Vance Johnson and Marty Hill together. Both can score and would be important upgrades for the Aces. I understand the JUCO factor with Marty - but I just can't see how those two kids would not get significant minutes for Evansville - it's not like the competition they would be facing among their teammates would be that strong.

Definitely agree on Johnson. I think at this point he's our best option. We have to get someone to play center along with Silas. The Darrington kid from VU is probably the next best option now that Bibbs is gone.

If we can't get one or both of them we are going to be up be up the creek, because then it's going to be the same old story of the left over spring recruits who are major, major projects. I'm not sure about Hill. If we get him, he seems like the classic Marty Simmons super undersized 4 man, which obviously doesn't work. I could be way off there but we've seen guys like that at the 4 for a long time now. I'm afraid if we get him or someone like that Marty will bench Hall and Kuhlman and go small.

Hope I'm wrong but this isn't looking good once again...
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

evilleman
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1992

Postby evilleman » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:44 pm

I'm not much of a recruiting guy. I just follow the posts of the others that are more knowledgeable about it on here. In my opinion, with the position we are in we take the best available players regardless of position. Similar to many teams approach to the NFL draft. At this point I think we just need to acquire the most talent that we can. However, it seems it may be we end up with whoever is left. Like me at closing time at the bars back in college.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:13 pm

Tom Servo wrote:
letsgoAces wrote:A big man is desperately needed. Traore a big question mark with his physical problems and there is no viable depth at all. Aces also need a offensive threat who can drive and also hit the three. If Tai Bibbs is out of reach I then sign both Vance Johnson and Marty Hill together. Both can score and would be important upgrades for the Aces. I understand the JUCO factor with Marty - but I just can't see how those two kids would not get significant minutes for Evansville - it's not like the competition they would be facing among their teammates would be that strong.

Definitely agree on Johnson. I think at this point he's our best option. We have to get someone to play center along with Silas. The Darrington kid from VU is probably the next best option now that Bibbs is gone.

If we can't get one or both of them we are going to be up be up the creek, because then it's going to be the same old story of the left over spring recruits who are major, major projects. I'm not sure about Hill. If we get him, he seems like the classic Marty Simmons super undersized 4 man, which obviously doesn't work. I could be way off there but we've seen guys like that at the 4 for a long time now. I'm afraid if we get him or someone like that Marty will bench Hall and Kuhlman and go small.

Hope I'm wrong but this isn't looking good once again...

Tom, Understand your concerns but Marty Hill is a swingman - he would play guard or small forward. Not even Coach Simmons would play a 170lb guy at power forward. Marty would be an excellent addition IMO. Great elevation and release point on his shot. Being 6'5 and athletic and having a great 3 point shot would be welcome for this team. Get Johnson to come on board as well would give great depth and options for the coaching staff. Not sure where Silas projects - power forward/center??? He and Johnson on floor together could be pretty cool. Johnson looks qujte mobile to me. Hopefully things will work out alright. We will know more about this time next week

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:02 pm

evilleman wrote:I'm not much of a recruiting guy. I just follow the posts of the others that are more knowledgeable about it on here. In my opinion, with the position we are in we take the best available players regardless of position. Similar to many teams approach to the NFL draft. At this point I think we just need to acquire the most talent that we can. However, it seems it may be we end up with whoever is left. Like me at closing time at the bars back in college.

LOL

evilleman
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1992

Postby evilleman » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:02 am

acecard wrote:
evilleman wrote:I'm not much of a recruiting guy. I just follow the posts of the others that are more knowledgeable about it on here. In my opinion, with the position we are in we take the best available players regardless of position. Similar to many teams approach to the NFL draft. At this point I think we just need to acquire the most talent that we can. However, it seems it may be we end up with whoever is left. Like me at closing time at the bars back in college.

LOL

Thanks for appreciating my sense of humor my man.

stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1987

Postby stl scooter » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:01 pm

The signing period started 4/12 (yesterday) and runs through 5/17.
#ACESACES #GetOnBoard #ImOnBoard

Return to “The Aces”