Game Thread---TREES @ ACES---1/17

Discussions of all the Aces sports
pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Re: Game Thread---TREES @ ACES---1/17

Postby pafan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:21 pm

Ad1770 wrote:Food for thought here. Don’t forget that St. Joseph (IN) closed at the end of last year due to financial problems, and they actually had more students attending then UE currently does.

St. Joseph's College did close, but its enrollment did not at the time, nor did it ever, exceed UE's.
In 2013, St. Joe's had 1163 students, a record high, but it had only 904 when it closed.

Citations: 2013 enrollment, 2017 enrollment
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

Atlanta Ace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Atlanta Ace » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:25 pm

acefan wrote:Y'all need to read/reread this article from the C&P from a couple years ago.

http://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/college/evansville/2016/11/10/ue-mens-basketball-program-hopes-build-recent-success/93495746/

Seventeen members of the Champions Club made a financial commitment to Aces Basketball thru the 2017-2018 season. That time frame is obviously about to end. This group of contributors is likely VERY influential regarding what will happen to the basketball program moving forward. Other than those mentioned in the article I have no information regarding who those seventeen are. But, I would suggest if you want change or if you want the status quo, it would probably be beneficial to attempt to identify those seventeen and begin some conversation.

Thanks for posting Acefan. This explains everything. As a fan, I feel there is nothing I can do. These people are content with the program as is.
Let's get this McCarty Party started.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:29 pm

tomace44 wrote:A. A.H.

Just out of curiosity, what does this stand for? Never seen it before, but saw it posted twice so wondered.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:34 pm

acefan wrote:Y'all need to read/reread this article from the C&P from a couple years ago.

http://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/college/evansville/2016/11/10/ue-mens-basketball-program-hopes-build-recent-success/93495746/

Seventeen members of the Champions Club made a financial commitment to Aces Basketball thru the 2017-2018 season. That time frame is obviously about to end. This group of contributors is likely VERY influential regarding what will happen to the basketball program moving forward. Other than those mentioned in the article I have no information regarding who those seventeen are. But, I would suggest if you want change or if you want the status quo, it would probably be beneficial to attempt to identify those seventeen and begin some conversation.

If you look at this article and the players mentioned and those pictured, look what those guys contributed in terms of wins and great stats for the Aces? Not much. One player never played and transferred, another transferred after a year, another averaged less than five minutes a game and another was not D1 material and maybe played ten minutes a game. All weak recruits selected by our coaching staff. Other than JB pictured we got little out of the others pictured and mentioned.

I can assure you that the guys in this Champions Group they call themselves are probably very disappointed in their investment. There has been no "Champion" of any kind (I guess you can count the CBI or CIT or whatever the play to pay tournament was) in the W column come since the investment. I am not sure what kind of ROI they may have been seeking but if it was anything more than a "donation" such as a few NCAA bids or NIT bids..goose egg. If it was quality wins vs good competition and strong showings vs top 25 teams another goose egg.

What I remember are embarrassing losses vs IU every time, Duke, Louisville, NC and a handful of others not so well known. This is also what many of our fans remember and would like to forget. Some have not forgotten and they showed their displeasure by not sending in their check for season tickets. It's like another poster noted, if the CEO keeps losing money do you not replace him because you are worried the next CEO might lose money? As others have said, how far does it have to slip before a change is made? I say all this with uncertainty of what a new guy would bring, but maybe more importantly, what in the world Olmstead is going to do.

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:00 pm

pafan wrote:
Ad1770 wrote:Food for thought here. Don’t forget that St. Joseph (IN) closed at the end of last year due to financial problems, and they actually had more students attending then UE currently does.

St. Joseph's College did close, but its enrollment did not at the time, nor did it ever, exceed UE's.
In 2013, St. Joe's had 1163 students, a record high, but it had only 904 when it closed.

Citations: 2013 enrollment, 2017 enrollment

Thank you for correcting me.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:37 pm

With the funding commitment made through the end of this season, it will be real interesting to see what happens after the season is over. Will they recommit? Will they demand changes? Will they increase the funding? A lot of unknowns. Since this article, and their pleasure at the upward trends of the basketball program, the program crashed to 9th place last season, and is almost assured of playing on Thursday night again this year. 0-2 if the goal is to avoid the play in game...throw in the fact Blake graduates, and Marty is unable to fill scholarships, and I would bet his tenure would be over..if it wasn't for the fact Kazee is retiring.

Also, I had forgotten how non-chalant Spencer was about Marty applying at Wright State. Walters and Crews both turned down overtures from P5 schools, and Spencer was acting like Marty was looking into Ohio State. There is no excuse ever for Wright State or any Horizon program to be able to pluck a coach from the MVC, and if it is currently more attractive, it is only because the powers that be have let us fall that low.

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:39 pm

Trees giving the birds a beat down.

6th man
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 6th man » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:21 pm

in case u missed it

School 1 2 Score Status Final

Illinois State
10-9
27 27 54
Indiana State
9-10
42 42 84
It's a great time to be an Aces fan
#getonboard

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:46 pm

6th man wrote:in case u missed it

School 1 2 Score Status Final

Illinois State
10-9
27 27 54
Indiana State
9-10
42 42 84

Fire Dan Muller :)

“It’s a bad year to be average,” ISU coach Dan Muller said. “You can be average and finish ninth.”

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:41 pm

E-Villan wrote:With the funding commitment made through the end of this season, it will be real interesting to see what happens after the season is over. Will they recommit? Will they demand changes? Will they increase the funding? A lot of unknowns. Since this article, and their pleasure at the upward trends of the basketball program, the program crashed to 9th place last season, and is almost assured of playing on Thursday night again this year. 0-2 if the goal is to avoid the play in game...throw in the fact Blake graduates, and Marty is unable to fill scholarships, and I would bet his tenure would be over..if it wasn't for the fact Kazee is retiring.

Also, I had forgotten how non-chalant Spencer was about Marty applying at Wright State. Walters and Crews both turned down overtures from P5 schools, and Spencer was acting like Marty was looking into Ohio State. There is no excuse ever for Wright State or any Horizon program to be able to pluck a coach from the MVC, and if it is currently more attractive, it is only because the powers that be have let us fall that low.

Marty was likely never interesting in Wright State but used this to get more $$$ out of UE and a longer contract. If I am not mistaken Crews may have done the same thing during his time at UE to make it seem like he was wanted by other schools.

Return to “The Aces”