What the Aces need to do to avoid the play-in game

Discussions of all the Aces sports
PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Re: What the Aces need to do to avoid the play-in game

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:33 am

It doesn't give me great pleasure to say that unless Ryan Taylor drops in 40 per game the rest of the way the Aces will be home in time to watch the OVC Tournament at the Ford Center. After 11 years of stubborn Marty's boring, antique system, winning Arch Madness would only give UE cover to extend his attendance-shrinking reign of mediocrity. There is no bigger Ace's fan than me, but I'd rather not trade potential long term success and a boost in attendance under a new coach for a short-lived thrill brought about only because four Ace's opponents unexpectedly collapsed in St. Louis.

Aces1982
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces1982 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:56 am

Am I reading this right? People have such hate for Simmons, that they would rather lose then get in the NCAA?
Not sure I have ever heard fans, from a school that hasn't been to NCAA in almost 20 years, say they don't want to go to NCAA because it would be just an embarrassment.
If anyone feels this strongly, then they really should stop attending games and drop their season tickets.
Marty, mediocrity its what he does.
151-142
ZERO NCAA or NIT bids
9 years yet some want more of the same

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:07 am

Are we really talking about what it would be if we made the NCAA tournament THIS YEAR? Talk about crying, I will be crying if we win the Thursday game.

Aces1997
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 2000

Postby Aces1997 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:08 am

PurpleWhiskers wrote:It doesn't give me great pleasure to say that unless Ryan Taylor drops in 40 per game the rest of the way the Aces will be home in time to watch the OVC Tournament at the Ford Center. After 11 years of stubborn Marty's boring, antique system, winning Arch Madness would only give UE cover to extend his attendance-shrinking reign of mediocrity. There is no bigger Ace's fan than me, but I'd rather not trade potential long term success and a boost in attendance under a new coach for a short-lived thrill brought about only because four Ace's opponents unexpectedly collapsed in St. Louis.

How can you say your the biggest aces fan and then say something about four unexpected collapses by the opponent in the same paragraph? If they were to win the tournament it would be a TEAM effort and very well deserved.

Aces1982
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces1982 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:25 am

acecard wrote:Are we really talking about what it would be if we made the NCAA tournament THIS YEAR? Talk about crying, I will be crying if we win the Thursday game.

It is an "if". No one is saying they will win in St. Louis.

I do think any of 8 teams could win it. UE is in one of those 8. Not saying they will win it, but I do think they have a chance.

Look at the games so far:y
Illinois St-played a very strange back to back on Saturday and Sunday then to Duke on Wednesday. Finishing up 4 games that week with league opener. Lose by 6. A big 3 by Evans late in the game.
@Loyola-was ahead most of that game till down the stretch.
@SIU-Lose by 2. Had the game won.
Beat Bradley
Beat Missouri St
@Drake-bus ride and don't play well there. They were playing really good at that time
Ind St-this one was kind of a head scratcher
@Bradley-loss
@Valpo-win
Drake-win. 20 point turn around
@Illinois ST- lose close one
Valpo-WIn
@Missouri St-never was in the game

I didn't mention any injuries and who may not have played in certain games.

Tell me a team, UE can't beat?

I don't know how much some of you pay attention to other teams, but the MVC is not a great conference this year. There is not a team or 2 teams that will go to St Louis who you know will be in the championship game like years past. Like I said, I think 8 teams, have a chance to win it.
Marty, mediocrity its what he does.
151-142
ZERO NCAA or NIT bids
9 years yet some want more of the same

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:33 am

Aces1997 wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:It doesn't give me great pleasure to say that unless Ryan Taylor drops in 40 per game the rest of the way the Aces will be home in time to watch the OVC Tournament at the Ford Center. After 11 years of stubborn Marty's boring, antique system, winning Arch Madness would only give UE cover to extend his attendance-shrinking reign of mediocrity. There is no bigger Ace's fan than me, but I'd rather not trade potential long term success and a boost in attendance under a new coach for a short-lived thrill brought about only because four Ace's opponents unexpectedly collapsed in St. Louis.

How can you say your the biggest aces fan and then say something about four unexpected collapses by the opponent in the same paragraph? If they were to win the tournament it would be a TEAM effort and very well deserved.

Well, in fairness there is a possibility we would be the favorite in the Thursday game. But a team 7th place or below, winning a conference tournament will be considered luck by just about any observer.

Aces1997
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 2000

Postby Aces1997 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:41 am

E-Villan wrote:
Aces1997 wrote:

Well, in fairness there is a possibility we would be the favorite in the Thursday game. But a team 7th place or below, winning a conference tournament will be considered luck by just about any observer.

Whatever makes you happy man. And as someone just mentioned you must not be one of the fans who pays attention to the rest of the league. It’s as wide open as ever and any team 1-10 could walk away march 4 with the title.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:50 am

Some of you need to re-read what I said. For me, I have never rooted for the Aces to lose in any particular game, and I am sure that will be the case going forward. I want them to win tonight. I want them to beat ISU, Loyola, etc and yes, if they are still playing on Sunday in St. Louis, I will actively be cheering them on.

What I said or meant, is that from this far out, without having an emotional attachment to any particular game, I, for the first time couldn't be excited if they somehow won St. Louis. Some of you appear younger, with statements like you have never seen the Aces in the NCAA. I understand. I have seen them in 5, along with a few NIT. For the last 19 years, I have hoped this would be the year we would end the drought. Even this year.

Here's the difference, for all of those 5 appearances, and the NIT bids, I was proud of the program. I went into those games hopeful, and knowing regardless of a win or not, we would represent, compete and the program would be favorably viewed...and every single time we were. That is simply not the case any longer. It isn't about a supposed hatred of Marty. It's about an embarassment of what we have become, from the admins who don't have a clue to what to do, the ones who tell supporters like Tom Servo they have no interest in trying promotions, to the band director who doesn't even want to appear at our games, to Lance Wilkerson who is supposedly in charge of media relations, yet we have no media relationships, to trusting our booster club to elitist who spent a career gouging the good folks of this community, and bolted the minute he retired so he wouldn't have to pay those same outrageous rates, to the coach that is in way over his head, and simply refuses to alter a game plan, which results in monumental blowouts by teams with coaches and talent smart enough to play around it.

Sorry, but again, without an emotional investment in the particular game, I fail to see how being viewed as a lucky bottom seed to win a conference tournament, and facing a certain Duke-esque blowout in the opening game, is good for the program. I don't think any recruit who sees Marty waddling around the sidelines getting pasted by 50 points is going to decide they want to come here.

Trust me, after 50 years of following this program, this feeling absolutely sucks.

PurpleAces
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1980

Postby PurpleAces » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:58 am

I never said I would be embarrassed if they made the tourney. Hell I would have a viewing party at the house. I just don't see a snowballs chance in you know where that we will see that. First off if they do hats off because we will have guys playing 35min a game for 4 straight games to do it. I just don't think that will get the community back. I feel like Marty has had his time to do it and people have seen enough. I just can't see anything Marty can do right now to get more people out there. I hear it everyday at work. I don't even talk about them at work anymore because I am tired of hearing about it. I told my dad when they hired him I hope he works out because it will be hard to get rid of him if he doesn't. That's where we are at nobody wants to be the bad guy to fire Marty. Well that's good but we will lose what's left of this program if he continues to be the coach.

PurpleAces
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1980

Postby PurpleAces » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:05 pm

E-Villan wrote:Some of you need to re-read what I said. For me, I have never rooted for the Aces to lose in any particular game, and I am sure that will be the case going forward. I want them to win tonight. I want them to beat ISU, Loyola, etc and yes, if they are still playing on Sunday in St. Louis, I will actively be cheering them on.

What I said or meant, is that from this far out, without having an emotional attachment to any particular game, I, for the first time couldn't be excited if they somehow won St. Louis. Some of you appear younger, with statements like you have never seen the Aces in the NCAA. I understand. I have seen them in 5, along with a few NIT. For the last 19 years, I have hoped this would be the year we would end the drought. Even this year.

Here's the difference, for all of those 5 appearances, and the NIT bids, I was proud of the program. I went into those games hopeful, and knowing regardless of a win or not, we would represent, compete and the program would be favorably viewed...and every single time we were. That is simply not the case any longer. It isn't about a supposed hatred of Marty. It's about an embarassment of what we have become, from the admins who don't have a clue to what to do, the ones who tell supporters like Tom Servo they have no interest in trying promotions, to the band director who doesn't even want to appear at our games, to Lance Wilkerson who is supposedly in charge of media relations, yet we have no media relationships, to trusting our booster club to elitist who spent a career gouging the good folks of this community, and bolted the minute he retired so he wouldn't have to pay those same outrageous rates, to the coach that is in way over his head, and simply refuses to alter a game plan, which results in monumental blowouts by teams with coaches and talent smart enough to play around it.

Sorry, but again, without an emotional investment in the particular game, I fail to see how being viewed as a lucky bottom seed to win a conference tournament, and facing a certain Duke-esque blowout in the opening game, is good for the program. I don't think any recruit who sees Marty waddling around the sidelines getting pasted by 50 points is going to decide they want to come here.

Trust me, after 50 years of following this program, this feeling absolutely sucks.

You said everything I have been thinking. Yes the feeling does suck. We have witnessed what this program is capable of and what it can be again. I love going to games but it gets harder for me every year. So I can't blame the casual fans for not going.

Return to “The Aces”