Recruiting

fg4ster
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1986

Re: Recruiting

Postby fg4ster » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:20 pm

My main point was that, even without Holston, I think this recruiting class will give us a 2020/21 and 2021/22 that we couldn't have dreamed of a few months ago.

I like the returning guys a lot too. Some of them haven't had a clear path to minutes before now. I think their potential remains to be seen.

But, yes, I think this year could be ugly:

-We're replacing our P5-quality redshirt senior and our P5-quality junior with freshmen.
-We're losing Blake, who was better than advertised, and had more D-1 game experience than our entire current roster combined.
-Of the 6 returning guys, none has played more than a single D-1 season.
-Some of them have hardly played D-1 basketball at all (e.g. Hill).
-There's no telling how some will transition to Walt's system (e.g. Frederking and Kuhlman).
-Did I mention we're young?
- Our 4 seniors have an aggregate total of 1 season and 9 games worth of D-1 experience.
- Our 1 junior has 1 season of D-1 experience.
- Our 2 sophomores had a few nice moments in limited minutes last year.
- The rest of the team is made up of freshmen and walk-ons.

For all I know, Walt's a horse-whisperer, Deandre's a lottery pick, Marty had a bench full of studs that he refused to play just to spite PurpleAcesFans.com message board posters, and we'll be 2018/19 MVC champions. But it's at least within the realm of possibility that a team made up of 5 freshmen and last year's role players will have some growing pains.

Still, I think we're trending toward the top of the Valley and beyond.

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:12 am

fg4ster wrote:My main point was that, even without Holston, I think this recruiting class will give us a 2020/21 and 2021/22 that we couldn't have dreamed of a few months ago.

I like the returning guys a lot too. Some of them haven't had a clear path to minutes before now. I think their potential remains to be seen.

But, yes, I think this year could be ugly:

-We're replacing our P5-quality redshirt senior and our P5-quality junior with freshmen.
-We're losing Blake, who was better than advertised, and had more D-1 game experience than our entire current roster combined.
-Of the 6 returning guys, none has played more than a single D-1 season.
-Some of them have hardly played D-1 basketball at all (e.g. Hill).
-There's no telling how some will transition to Walt's system (e.g. Frederking and Kuhlman).
-Did I mention we're young?
- Our 4 seniors have an aggregate total of 1 season and 9 games worth of D-1 experience.
- Our 1 junior has 1 season of D-1 experience.
- Our 2 sophomores had a few nice moments in limited minutes last year.
- The rest of the team is made up of freshmen and walk-ons.

For all I know, Walt's a horse-whisperer, Deandre's a lottery pick, Marty had a bench full of studs that he refused to play just to spite PurpleAcesFans.com message board posters, and we'll be 2018/19 MVC champions. But it's at least within the realm of possibility that a team made up of 5 freshmen and last year's role players will have some growing pains.

Still, I think we're trending toward the top of the Valley and beyond.

I doubt we win the Valley, but top 5 is a possibility. I’ll do my season breakdown in a couple of weeks after I have spoken with a couple of people.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

UE0958
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1976

Postby UE0958 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:13 am

Hoping for the best this year (like all years) but I can see this team having growing pains due to three reasons 1) Inexperience at D1 2) Chemistry of learning to play as unit 3) New coaching scheme to all the players and coach learning that the players aren't of the skill level of the Celtics or UK.

Excited that the tempo of play will be much more enjoyable to watch and I think the team will likely be at its peak at the end of the season.

Extremely excited that Walter and his staff will have an entire recruiting period to bring in the best recruits that they can get to commit to UE.

I look at this way this year should be the low point in the win category for the McCarty Party and then things will start to be enjoyable not just from the tempo but from the winning games!

Go ACES!

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:46 am

UE0958 wrote:Hoping for the best this year (like all years) but I can see this team having growing pains due to three reasons 1) Inexperience at D1 2) Chemistry of learning to play as unit 3) New coaching scheme to all the players and coach learning that the players aren't of the skill level of the Celtics or UK.

Excited that the tempo of play will be much more enjoyable to watch and I think the team will likely be at its peak at the end of the season.

Extremely excited that Walter and his staff will have an entire recruiting period to bring in the best recruits that they can get to commit to UE.

I look at this way this year should be the low point in the win category for the McCarty Party and then things will start to be enjoyable not just from the tempo but from the winning games!

Go ACES!

Well said, and I completely agree. Also agree with fg4ster, for all the reasons described in his post.

I'm not too concerned about what our record is this year. Sure, I'd love to see us completely gel and take everyone by surprise. However, I think people need to remember this will be a process. Quite a large hole has been dug and it may take some time to get out of. Hopefully it doesn't but I think the city needs to be patient. The pieces are coming together, and I truly think good things are on the horizon for the program.

The huge key in all this is this approaching recruiting period for the 2019 class. There's a lot of talent out there and it would even build more excitement if we could land some of that talent that's out there.

Here are some numbers for reference:

8-19 (3-9)
17-12 (8-4) (MCC Champ)
21-8 (6-4) (MCC 2nd place - NIT)
25-6 (10-2) (NCAA - MCC Champ)

For those who don't know those are Crews' first 4 years. The point being, let's not read too much into year one.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Postby NumbersDontLie » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:10 pm

We lost by 64 on national TV.

It doesn’t get much uglier than that.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:33 pm

We aren't going to win the MVC, may even be a Thursday team, may even finish last because of all the above mentioned problems, but I'll bet money that we will be fun to watch. I'm with Tom, don't really care that much about the record, but I sure hope that there will be a lot of teams that won't want to play us in ST. LOUIS. I really believe that we will be a much better team in March, than we will be in November. Of course, we will have to stay pretty healthy. Injuries will kill any team.

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:40 pm

I’m sure we won’t be hearing fans in the stands screaming “shoot” and “move” and team “spectators” will be watching from the bench. It will be like watching someone else’s team. In fact it will be Walter’s team.

bogey
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1950

Postby bogey » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:31 pm

A player I haven't heard much about is Jawaun Newton, a 6-03 guard from El Paso, TX. It seems this kid has some shooting skills averaging 28.5 pts. a game along with 7 rebounds. Does anyone have more information on this player? If coach recruited him that's good enough for me. I am just interested in any news about the Aces.

acefan
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1962

Postby acefan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:38 pm

bogey wrote:A player I haven't heard much about is Jawaun Newton, a 6-03 guard from El Paso, TX. It seems this kid has some shooting skills averaging 28.5 pts. a game along with 7 rebounds. Does anyone have more information on this player? If coach recruited him that's good enough for me. I am just interested in any news about the Aces.

How timely!

https://gopurpleaces.com/news/2018/7/19/mens-basketball-jawaun-newton-brings-unlimited-athleticism-to-the-next-level.aspx

ncace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:10 pm

A terrific young man, not unlike DJ when he arrived. A high basketball IQ with toughness and conviction. He is the kind of kid that other recruits want to have as a teammate. We are fortunate to have him on board. Thanks for the article....and
GO ACES!!

Return to “Class of 2018”