DeAndre Williams

Discussions of all the Aces sports
GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Re: DeAndre Williams

Postby GoAcesgo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:51 pm

I will give my opinion, I do think the difference between DeAndre and Silas is this he will stay and play for the Aces, the difference is things are looking up and I believe DeAndre believes in Coach Mac, with Art and Sam waiting as well I think he will stay ....I still think we will surprise some teams this year....when is the last time we had an early signing period recruit before today?

purpleredbird
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1984

Postby purpleredbird » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:08 am

fg4ster wrote:Imagine we found out today - for the first time - that DeAndre signed with us and has 3 years of eligibility starting next year. We would be ecstatic. I have no problem grinding this season out and waiting to roll out DeAndre, Cunliffe, and Art all at the same time.

I agree completely! We all need to remember the situation that coach is taking over. To get the program where it needs to be, you sometimes have to take chances on players like this. Nothing to me shows that DeAndre is nothing but a good kid who just had some bad guidance around what he needed to do to be eligible. The fact that he gets to still be part of the team and has two other players to workout with while the team is traveling is still good. This year was going to be very tough regardless.

evilleman
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1992

Postby evilleman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:25 am

You want these type of players and athletes sometimes you gotta take the risk that comes with it. This is really not a big deal at all. I may have been wrong. I always believed we were a Thursday team. Think that next year the potential is there to be pretty darn good. Time will tell. You all may be right about not announcing this because of ticket sales, but part may be due to the fact they were going through the appeal and didn't want it out that the kid was academically eligible. If they won the appeal there was no need to make an announcement. If they were protecting ticket sales that is shady. If they were potentially trying to protect the kid should it be over turned then I respect that.

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:54 am

CoachD88 wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:It does appear that this was known for a while before the announcement. We had to hear about it through a Bradley fan on an MVC garbage site. The cynic in me suspects that UE didn't want to step on season ticket sales. They were happy to keep us excited and ignorant of the facts ($$$). I wonder when we would have learned about it if this fan board hadn't begun lighting up over it. I also wonder if Deandre isn't McCarty's Silas Adheke, who Marty described as similar to Karl Malone a year before "Karl Malone" rode off into the sunset without ever playing a game. The old truism rears its ugly head again, believe it when you see it, everything else including future rosters is little more than chatter. I do know that when you lose trust it is hard to get it back. Strike one on McCarty.

I so agree....but I would have to say that is Strike Two and maybe even 2.5 (if you consider how they have locked fans out of practices unless you have deep pockets and of course, the change in game times). I have another question for PAF.....it was just a few years ago, when during recruiting season, some of us were grumbling about how UE academic standards made it tough for us to attract players. Ummm.....how in the heck did this happen then? As much excitement as everyone is supposed to have had for the new changes in the program.....there has always been this little voice saying to me "be careful as all may not be as it seems." I feel like season-ticket holders, like myself, have been taken on somewhat of a ride this Summer and it is not going to end up in the destination we desired. As usual...just my take...but I would still like to hear everyone's thoughts on how this got by our "strict" standards.

When you lose trust, it’s hard to get back. Ok, so what has HCWM lies to you about to make you not trust him? You do realize that announcements like these come from the AD and the SID, not the coach. I will guarantee that the NCAA clearinghouse dug in to this pretty hard. Unfortunately, the NCAA changed their eligibility standards in 2016. That really makes it difficult for a student athlete who is three years into high school to rectify any problems. That is the reason he is ineligible. His GPA for his core 40 is not a 2.3. It is between 2.0 and 2.3, thusly, he can receive a scholarship and is allowed to participate in practices with the team. I posted the rule a couple of pages back.

The appeal (and this is how I would have gone at it) was most likely this. It was for eligibility for the 18-19 season due to the rule change coming in to effect going into his senior year of high school. Want to know why he was home schooled for his senior year, and then to prep school for a year? It was an attempt to bring his grades up to eligibility standards. The appeal failed, and he has to sit. Not the worst thing that could happen.

On a side note, this now makes the second appeal for a student athlete by HCWM. He is howling the boys he will fight for them. The other appeal was for Marty Hill in trying to get him a redshirt for him because his redshirt was denied due to poor record keeping. These are good things, even if there is an occasional bump in the road.

And blaming the coach for game start times??? I believe I have officially heard everything now.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

rpyke
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 2003

Postby rpyke » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:32 am

So we get the change many people begged for, and now people are finding ways to shoot it all down.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:38 am

Purple&Orange wrote:My guess is due to the ongoing appeal, which apparently resulted in the waiver to allow him the scholarship this season along with the ability to practice is the reason nothing was officially released until now.

The excitement around the program should not dimmer because of today’s announcement. There will still be growing pains with so many new faces along with a brand new style that appears to be a complete 180 for those who return. Be patient....nobody knows if these changes will lead to the promised land not seen since 1999, but any expectation that the Aces should be a threat this season with all of the losses from last year and the new faces is provable a bit unrealistic.

The experience the guys get this year will prove valuable, along with a blueprint for the guys having to sit out this season. There will be some bumps in the road, perhaps even more than anyone excepts but the first strikes of the McCarty regime being handed out before the first game is probably a little unfair.

Again, patience is required and year 2 will tell us a lot more than this year will about the trajectory of the program and where the Aces can be leading into the future. This year most certainly matters but it’s one step along the road of a rebuild.

Completely agree....could not have said it any better.

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1976

Postby CoachD88 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:19 am

Alright guys...big enough to post and big enough to take the swipes. I will back away from HC on game times (heat of the moment and more aimed at program in general than HC) and I am sure he doesn't have full control of information being released. What I won't back away from is the fact that this isn't something that just happened. This isn't even something that OUR fan base knew about and started questioning. This was known about for a long time and really kind of sad that is had to be even brought out by a 3rd party on a completely different site. And it effected another player the same way a year ago that went to the same program. This is an area (recruitment/eligibility problems) that I don't think the program has had to deal with very often and if is did...it was remedied in short order. Now, let me say this...you are all absolutely right...DeAndre is an absolutely wonderful young man. Have met him multiple times and he has been perfect gentleman to my family and I. I pray we get him for 3 years and I pray we get to see him on the floor at all with the Aces.

I know that I didn't practice what I preached about keeping an even keel on the season and the program....again, big enough to admit it. However.....the fans have been hit the past couple of weeks with 2 somewhat out of the blue "bad news" story's that could have been handled or explained months ago. WE all, at times, the last few years have been upset and questioned why information hadn't been released to the fans for this and that. I guess I was just hoping those days would be over. The Aces program wants increased fans and support......however, the Aces fans should be allowed to know what they are supporting. Forgive me for the broad brush and for any of you taking my comments as someone never satisfied....but was just hoping certain things would change along with the staff.
Just my opinion...I could be wrong!

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1976

Postby CoachD88 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:55 am

CoachD88 wrote:Alright guys...big enough to post and big enough to take the swipes. I will back away from HC on game times (heat of the moment and more aimed at program in general than HC) and I am sure he doesn't have full control of information being released. What I won't back away from is the fact that this isn't something that just happened. This is an area (recruitment/eligibility problems) that I don't think the program has had to deal with very often and if is did...it was remedied in short order. Now, let me say this...you are all absolutely right...DeAndre is an absolutely wonderful young man. Have met him multiple times and he has been perfect gentleman to my family and I. I pray we get him for 3 years and I pray we get to see him on the floor at all with the Aces.

I know that I didn't practice what I preached about keeping an even keel on the season and the program....again, big enough to admit it. However.....the fans have been hit the past couple of weeks with 2 somewhat out of the blue "bad news" story's that could have been handled or explained months ago. WE all, at times, the last few years have been upset and questioned why information hadn't been released to the fans for this and that. I guess I was just hoping those days would be over. The Aces program wants increased fans and support......however, the Aces fans should be allowed to know what they are supporting. Forgive me for the broad brush and for any of you taking my comments as someone never satisfied....but was just hoping certain things would change along with the staff.
Just my opinion...I could be wrong!

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:07 pm

This is for the people who can't stomach the MVCfans board. The Bradley fan who posted the news about DeAndre in the first place is now stating that the person who told him that news says that he knows that DeAndre is a very talented player, and has a decent chance to play in the NBA. Whomever that person is must be in position to know DeAndre, and knows what it takes to get to the NBA. We will never know who that person is, but it sure would be interesting to know.

Return to “The Aces”