2019 WG Tristen Newton

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Re: 2019 WG Tristen Newton

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:20 am

muni cup14 wrote:Not to be pessimistic, but is Tristen that good,or is his
competition that bad. :| :|

I think that is a fair and legit question. Not too long ago his 3 point shooting percentage was not all that good. The 50 points is a wildly crazy achievement but how does his overall game translate to playing in the MVC? I understand your point...particularly when there does not appear too much attention being given by D-1 schools. Triston's brother, Juwan, a two time player of the year in El Paso, had very little interest as well.

My biggest concern is their lack of elevation on their shot...but I am no scout. I do know that I trust Coach McCarty and his staff. When Bruce Webber was coaching SIU he recruited a bunch of players nobody else wanted and had great success. Time will tell....

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:21 am

I have no idea of the level of competition, but Tristen's team lost the game.

mybigpurplebrain
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1982

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:55 pm

AcesHigh wrote:

I was wondering to. They are a 5A school in a city of 683000 . I would think the competition may be good. Early season games so might have been a little weak as they have lost their last 2 to have a record of 5-2

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:27 pm

If Tristen is the better of the 2 I would definitely take him, I think Jawuan could end up being a really great player for us, I already think he is one of our better defenders, I thinks it's 4 years players like Juwan and Tristen that help build programs.

Purp
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1974

Postby Purp » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:58 pm

GoAcesgo wrote:If Tristen is the better of the 2 I would definitely take him, I think Jawuan could end up being a really great player for us, I already think he is one of our better defenders, I thinks it's 4 years players like Juwan and Tristen that help build programs.

I agree. Jawaun is getting better game by game, and you can tell that coach has a lot of confidence in him. Would love to have Tristen, too. However, as some have said, I would like to see them develop more elevation on their jump shots. I don't think Jawaun is getting the ball away from 3 like he was accustomed to in high school.

JohnU
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1966

Postby JohnU » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:40 pm

mybigpurplebrain wrote:
AcesHigh wrote:

I was wondering to. They are a 5A school in a city of 683000 . I would think the competition may be good. Early season games so might have been a little weak as they have lost their last 2 to have a record of 5-2

It appears they are regionally pretty strong in their division, which suggests something.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:50 pm

JohnU wrote:
mybigpurplebrain wrote:
AcesHigh wrote:I have no idea of the level of competition, but Tristen's team lost the game.

It appears they are regionally pretty strong in their division, which suggests something.

They are also ranked 16th in 5-A in Texas' 6-class system. That wouldn't be chopped liver.

Return to “Class of 2019”