2019, 2020 OVC conference tournaments to be held at Ford Center

Discussions of all the Aces sports
pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

2019, 2020 OVC conference tournaments to be held at Ford Center

Postby pafan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:12 am

Overshadowed by the McCarty news, but worth noting: Evansville Sports Corp says today that the Ohio Valley Conference tournament has renewed its agreement for two more years at Ford Center.

https://www.courierpress.com/story/spor ... 448630002/
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Re: 2019, 2020 OVC conference tournaments to be held at Ford Center

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:37 am

That is great news for the city. OVC teams were overwhelming pleased with Evansville...we all should be proud.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:50 am

Excellent day for Evansville basketball all the way around. As much as I would like to see Murray in the MVC, this tournament really needs their fans.

PurpleWhiskers
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:25 pm

pafan wrote:Overshadowed by the McCarty news, but worth noting: Evansville Sports Corp says today that the Ohio Valley Conference tournament has renewed its agreement for two more years at Ford Center.

And, the Division II Elite Eight will be held at the Ford Center for the next 4 years. All good.

fg4ster
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1986

Postby fg4ster » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:27 pm

PurpleWhiskers wrote:
pafan wrote:Overshadowed by the McCarty news, but worth noting: Evansville Sports Corp says today that the Ohio Valley Conference tournament has renewed its agreement for two more years at Ford Center.

And, the Division II Elite Eight will be held at the Ford Center for the next 4 years. All good.

I suppose we also got confirmation today that the ACES plan to keep playing there.

wildbill
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1975

Postby wildbill » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:09 am

This is very good news. Hopefully the crowds will fill Ford next year. It would be nice to be known as a basketball city, and get awarded this event on a yearly basis.

Speaking of hosting games, does anybody know how Evansville's bid to take over the First Four went? Has the NCAA made a decision yet? That would be great if we got that every year, along with OVC tourney.
:x The Boys Are Coming Back :lol:

NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Postby NumbersDontLie » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:42 am

wildbill wrote:This is very good news. Hopefully the crowds will fill Ford next year. It would be nice to be known as a basketball city, and get awarded this event on a yearly basis.

Speaking of hosting games, does anybody know how Evansville's bid to take over the First Four went? Has the NCAA made a decision yet? That would be great if we got that every year, along with OVC tourney.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/first-four-staying-arena-through-2022/lkVi3FM8pnuEV2L4dkqmkN/amp.html

It was awarded last year to Dayton through 2022. The D2 Elite 8 was the consolation prize, in my opinion.

It’s simply a size issue. UD holds about 4,000 more seats. Throw in an international airport compared to our EVv terminal and it’s an easy decision for the NCAA.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:50 am

NumbersDontLie wrote:
wildbill wrote:This is very good news. Hopefully the crowds will fill Ford next year. It would be nice to be known as a basketball city, and get awarded this event on a yearly basis.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/first-four-staying-arena-through-2022/lkVi3FM8pnuEV2L4dkqmkN/amp.html

It was awarded last year to Dayton through 2022. The D2 Elite 8 was the consolation prize, in my opinion.

It’s simply a size issue. UD holds about 4,000 more seats. Throw in an international airport compared to our EVv terminal and it’s an easy decision for the NCAA.

I agree on the size. I am under the impression that the Walnut St side can be expanded, with an upper lever built over it as well. I don't think the airports are making that much difference. DAY has the same 4 airlines we do, with a few more flights. Teams charter, and getting into EVV isn't really any more difficult than DAY.

If a host is doing a great job, the NCAA tends to stay pretty loyal. Look how long the College World Series has been in Omaha.

NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Postby NumbersDontLie » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:19 am

E-Villan wrote:
NumbersDontLie wrote:

I agree on the size. I am under the impression that the Walnut St side can be expanded, with an upper lever built over it as well. I don't think the airports are making that much difference. DAY has the same 4 airlines we do, with a few more flights. Teams charter, and getting into EVV isn't really any more difficult than DAY.

If a host is doing a great job, the NCAA tends to stay pretty loyal. Look how long the College World Series has been in Omaha.

On the Walnut side - I might be misremembering things, But wasn’t there talk of the hotel being attached with windows overlooking the arena?

I don’t mean the walkway attached, but physically attached like the Marlins Park/Clevelander hotel (minus the swimming pool of course!)

I can see why that might not ever be built, but I thought there were drawings of the upper area behind the south end being glassed in spots so fans could look in.

stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1987

Postby stl scooter » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:51 pm

#ForTheAces #GetOnBoard #ImOnBoard

Return to “The Aces”