Updated Roster 2018-19

Discussions of all the Aces sports
ncace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1969

Re: Updated Roster 2018-19

Postby ncace » Fri May 18, 2018 9:24 am

It's going to be fun watching all of this develop. As well as the coaches have done on the recruiting trail, it'll be just as interesting to see how Walt and the ACs bring the team together. Some of the returnees could show an entirely different game in a new system. The recruits obviously have athleticism, and with Hurley and Feehan there is maturity combined with Chats. Yes, they all shoot the three. We've got guys who can make FTs late in the game. Conditioning will be robust as we've not seen in a long time.

Even the practices will be exciting. This is where we're going to see the ACs shine. Yes, as fans we have to be patient, but it's clear that we've got something here....and as the momentum builds...well, it's a good time to be an Axes fan, and it's also a good time to be an Aces recruit!

PurpleAces
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1980

Postby PurpleAces » Fri May 18, 2018 9:32 am

Tom Servo wrote:PG - Feehan/Givance/Newton
SG - Frederking/Hurley/Hill
SF - Hurley/Williams/Hall/Riley
PF - Williams/Hall/Becker
C - DC/Kuhlman/Becker

Just a guess...a lot of these guys can play in a lot of different places. I do think we will see a lot of Williams, Feehan, Frederking, and Givance. At the center spot, expecting to see a lot of Kuhlman and Becker. Becker might see some "4" time as well. Expecting to see McCarty use a lot of the Celtics and Butler strategy of pulling the center out on the floor and having them become a jump shooter as well as an inside player, which is where Kuhlman and Becker can have success.

One of the biggest keys to this season is Frederking, in my opinion. If he can really become the high IQ playmaker and knock down shooter that a lot of us think he's capable of, he can really be huge for this team. He's a fiery player, who should thrive under this type of system. Hurley and Feehan are going to be asked to do a lot as well.

It will be much different than what we've become accustomed to!

Totally agree with this. Would like to add another Marty Hill. The kid can flat out play. He will fit nicely in a fast tempo. I know we didn't get to see it a lot last year with his injuries. He can really help us and is healthy.

Purplewarrior
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1976

Postby Purplewarrior » Fri May 18, 2018 9:48 am

I keep seeing Hankton but I look everywhere no,commit?

Purplewarrior
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1976

Postby Purplewarrior » Fri May 18, 2018 9:57 am

I also think we are looking at an all around athletic team. Remember under pitino starting 5 subed for next 5. In nba brad Stephen's not afraid to sub either. I think the biggest difference we will see is 12 players in shape and our defense will play to win, instead of not to lose.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Fri May 18, 2018 10:16 am

Purplewarrior wrote:I also think we are looking at an all around athletic team. Remember under pitino starting 5 subed for next 5. In nba brad Stephen's not afraid to sub either. I think the biggest difference we will see is 12 players in shape and our defense will play to win, instead of not to lose.

The whole program will be based on playing to win, rather than playing not to lose. This is the most athletic recruiting class the Aces have had in the last 25 years. Now it's up to Walter, and his AC's, to mold them into a winning TEAM. I've been fooled before by looking at You Tube footage, but I really think this team could be a top half team next year, if they are as good as they seem to be, and they can stay healthy. We have to remember though that we are putting a lot of expectations on unproven young players. It's going to be interesting to say the least. As has been mentioned, it's a lot different playing in a system that says, if you get a good three point shot, take it, no matter how many seconds have lapsed, or where you are at, rather than taking it as a last resort.

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:31 am

AcesHigh wrote:So what happened to Kuhlman? Is he still at the end of the bench?

Not a knock on anyone not mentioned. After all, unless rules are changed we can only have 5 on the court at the same time. Does it mean that I believe that Kuhlman, Hill, or even Riley will sit on the end of the bench? No. I believe all of them will play quality minutes, but to answer your question, I will give my best estimation based on my knowledge of the system and my limited knowledge of the players.

In the offense that coach is planning to run, foot speed is everything. This is the thing that will give the newcomers the upper hand over Kuhlman, especially at the four spot. Kuhlman will make an excellent stretch five, forcing other bigs out on the perimeter to guard him when he gets in. I can realistically see all 12 guys we currently have on roster getting minutes every game.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

ncace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Fri May 18, 2018 12:30 pm

Ad offers great insight. Game match ups, injuries, the grind of the MVC, all factors. Excellent staff will make sure kids know their roles, and I think you'll see incredible growth from some of these guys as the season progresses. The kids themselves will have a pretty good idea of their place in the system (and the minutes they can expect) as they work against each other.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Fri May 18, 2018 12:40 pm

Coach McCarty might just roll the ball out there and let 'em play.
Saying that, I'm sure there'll be a structured offensive plan to run and certain parameters to be met. But, a miscued shot or errant pass, most likely not gonna be getting ya the hook.
At any given time, each and every player needs to be ready to step on the floor, fill his role and make the most of that opportunity.
Don't see two or three ACES collecting 30 plus mins a game, next season. But, 7 or 8 playing 18 plus....
Definitely, should be fun ride for fans and players alike on the Waltrain.

I'm on board!
go aces

Purp
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1974

Postby Purp » Fri May 18, 2018 12:40 pm

Easy to look past the fact that Frederking, Kuhlman, and Hall were freshmen last year and had really solid seasons. If they make the expected jump, we have a lot to look forward to from them. Honestly, there isn't a single angle to look at in our current situation that doesn't get me excited.

kyace1
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1983

Postby kyace1 » Fri May 18, 2018 12:52 pm

I have not been this excited - ever - as an Aces Fan. I have been thinking about which 5 players make the best athletic unit, which 5 make up the Big Lineup, which lineup could stretch the floor with 5 shooters, etc... I think practices will be great. Competition will be high. I believe playing time will be shared. We are in for a fun ride!

Return to “The Aces”