stl scooter wrote:Nice article by Mid Major Madness:

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/8/ ... g-transfer

Thanks for sharing.

+1
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Re: Team Coverage

Postby Austin Ace » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:18 am

This was the paragraph that jumped out at me from the article:

Cunliffe reportedly considered Xavier and Washington, among others, and told the Lawrence Journal-World that “this Evansville thing is a lot better than some might think.” That kind of early recruiting win may represent the dream scenario for the Aces.

Aces Aces
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces Aces » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:49 am

Acepurple71 wrote:
AcesHigh wrote:Under Coach McCutchan the Aces were definitely a run and gun team. I was there for most of those teams and they were fun to watch. I remember one year in particular Coach had the “shock troops” where Arad substituted five at a time without a loss of quality. I’m not sure but Russ may have been there at that time.

I feel certain that McCutchan’s teams would not have performed as well if they would have been coached by Simmons. Coach McCarty has been around the up and down the floor game his entire basketball career from Kentucky to the Celtics and his teams will employ that style of play. We might have to wait a couple of years until he can put together “his” team but it looks like he’s off to a good start.

I remember that team. It was after Russ had graduated, but just before the 1971 National Championship team. I believe they were called the Bandit Squad. The fans loved it when they went in around 5 mins after the start. Mac's team ran the opponents ragged.

The 5 that were substituted into the game were called The Vampire Five.

lawrencevgibson
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Postby lawrencevgibson » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:07 am

Haven’t posted in a while but I have been keeping up. Excited to see what’s coming.

Acepurple71
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Acepurple71 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:54 am

Aces Aces wrote:
Acepurple71 wrote:
AcesHigh wrote:Under Coach McCutchan the Aces were definitely a run and gun team. I was there for most of those teams and they were fun to watch. I remember one year in particular Coach had the “shock troops” where Arad substituted five at a time without a loss of quality. I’m not sure but Russ may have been there at that time.

I feel certain that McCutchan’s teams would not have performed as well if they would have been coached by Simmons. Coach McCarty has been around the up and down the floor game his entire basketball career from Kentucky to the Celtics and his teams will employ that style of play. We might have to wait a couple of years until he can put together “his” team but it looks like he’s off to a good start.

I remember that team. It was after Russ had graduated, but just before the 1971 National Championship team. I believe they were called the Bandit Squad. The fans loved it when they went in around 5 mins after the start. Mac's team ran the opponents ragged.

The 5 that were substituted into the game were called The Vampire Five.

I stand corrected. It was almost 50 years ago

GA Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1986

Postby GA Ace » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:44 pm

From the Men's Basketball Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/UEAthletics_MBB/sta ... 12/video/1

This is from yesterday, August 22nd, the first day of class. Great to see a head coach involved on campus and leading the student body in a new cheer created for the basketball team. How many times have we posted here in the past that it would be great to have a HC engage the student body and be seen on campus outside of the Carson Center? Well here it is, keep it up Coach McCarty. Hope to see a much livelier student section moving forward. And yes Blake, "Orange and Purple just got a little more exciting."

PurpleAces
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1980

Postby PurpleAces » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:43 pm

GA Ace wrote:From the Men's Basketball Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/UEAthletics_MBB/sta ... 12/video/1

This is from yesterday, August 22nd, the first day of class. Great to see a head coach involved on campus and leading the student body in a new cheer created for the basketball team. How many times have we posted here in the past that it would be great to have a HC engage the student body and be seen on campus outside of the Carson Center? Well here it is, keep it up Coach McCarty. Hope to see a much livelier student section moving forward. And yes Blake, "Orange and Purple just got a little more exciting."

That is awesome to see. All it takes is a little effort.

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:43 pm

Insider mailbag: What will signal UE basketball is on track in 2018-19 season?

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/college/evansville/2018/09/14/insider-mailbag-ue-basketball-storylines-2018-19-season/1306064002/

Pat Hickey quote: "(we will) ramp up (Aces) coverage here in the next couple weeks."

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:27 pm

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:00 pm

Does anyone know. Did we have a writer over in St. Louis today for the MVC Media day? I’m checking Twitter and can’t find anything for us, although there was a turn out for the rest of the teams today. Anyone know?
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

Return to “The Aces”