Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Re: Aces Insider

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:38 am

arodd13 wrote:
acecard wrote:
Aceup13 wrote:
Winning and being relevant is almost the only way. We all had no problem showing up and filling student section and two sections behind when Wichita came to a solid Aces team 2 years ago

Being an exciting, fun to watch team that wins 20 games every year will solve a lot of attendance problems.

I'm not on the Student Section committee or anything, but as a student who has attended at least 90% of home games over the course of my time here, the biggest issue is the lack of awareness about games (which is a bad excuse in my opinion) and the perceived "boring-ness" of the on-court product. Students complain about games not being on campus as well, but the Ford Center is a 5 minute drive, which is less of a commute than many students have to make at bigger schools who might have a 20 minute walk across campus to the arena. Plus, the teams that do play on campus (outside of the occasional men's soccer game) don't get great student support either.

Another complaint is the actual set up for the student section at the Ford. It's not ideal, and personally, I much prefer to find an empty seat in the lower level and sit there with some friends, as it's just a better view. More students go to the games than you think, but it's hard to tell because everyone is spread out. I really hope that changes this year. I think something the Student Section Committee needs to do is target Greek Life, and make some kind of competition between fraternities/sororities and seeing who can get the most people at each game. I hate incentivizing things, but it definitely helps when trying to get people to do stuff.

That being said, there is a lot of excitement on campus with Walter. He is a big name who makes his presence KNOWN on campus. I see him on the south side of Walnut all the time, while I can't say I ever saw Marty outside of the Carson Center in my time as an undergrad. I think we'll see some improvements at games this year with a more exciting product on the court, and a coach who makes an effort to reach out to students and get them excited for games.

Well said, as a former student, I also heard all of these things very often and had a lot of the same experiences.

The location of the student section is still an issue that has been discussed. When I was a student I never sat down there because of two reasons. 1. The seats are bad. 2. Didn't know anyone down there (sometimes there was no one else down there).

McCarty being visible on campus and interacting/building relationships will be huge, as that hasn't happened for a long time. Hopefully that will increase the attendance dramatically. It just needs to become the "thing to do" again. That will get much more of them there.

The biggest key though is still getting the community to show up, as that's always the driver behind UE basketball attendance.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:36 pm

ACES INSIDER - Coach McCarty kids camp opens

https://gopurpleaces.com/news/2018/6/11/aces-insider-coach-mccarty-kids-camp-opens.aspx

The inaugural Coach McCarty Kids Camp tipped off Monday morning with more than one hundred campers registering for the week. Aces Insider Joe Downs has the story from the Carson Center.

Coach McCarty and some of the players (Marty Hill, John Hall, KJ) are in this video. Not sure on who a couple of the players helping are - maybe DeAndre; not sure at all who the player near the end of the video is.

Go Aces!!!

PurpleAces
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1980

Postby PurpleAces » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:31 am

Austin Ace wrote:ACES INSIDER - Coach McCarty kids camp opens

https://gopurpleaces.com/news/2018/6/11/aces-insider-coach-mccarty-kids-camp-opens.aspx

The inaugural Coach McCarty Kids Camp tipped off Monday morning with more than one hundred campers registering for the week. Aces Insider Joe Downs has the story from the Carson Center.

Coach McCarty and some of the players (Marty Hill, John Hall, KJ) are in this video. Not sure on who a couple of the players helping are - maybe DeAndre; not sure at all who the player near the end of the video is.

Go Aces!!!

DeAndre was there. Noah, Evan, Marty Hill, KJ and Hall have all been helping out. We are going to love DeAndre he is going to be a beast.

tbehrend
New User
New User
Fan Since: 1999

Postby tbehrend » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:41 am

Austin Ace-
Near the end of the video (3:08-3:10), I believe that it is a walk-on named Devan Straub. Evansville Mater Dei alum.

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader

Postby Austin Ace » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:55 am

tbehrend wrote:Austin Ace-
Near the end of the video (3:08-3:10), I believe that it is a walk-on named Devan Straub. Evansville Mater Dei alum.

Thanks that helps, but I was talking about 15 seconds after that with about 30 seconds left in the video. It looks like a "basketball player" was rebounding for the kids. He had a build similar to Marty Hill but it is not Marty. Just wasn't sure who that was.

Thanks again as that at least clarifies who Devan is.

bikerace
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1963

Postby bikerace » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:31 am

I think that was the d3 grad transfer

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:35 am

bikerace wrote:I think that was the d3 grad transfer

Devan transferred from IU Kokomo which competes at the NAIA level.

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader

Postby Austin Ace » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:23 am

I think that was Devan and not Shea Feehan, the D3 transfer.

Still not sure who the guy was that I was talking about at the end of the video. Possibly it was Chestnut, the walk on from last year. Is he still on the team or helping out? In the snapshot I include below I think the guy in the video that I am talking about is the first guy on the left with a basketball. Then you have John Hall, Noah, KJ, DeAndre, Devan, Evan, Danius, and Marty. I think the guy on the right (under the goal) is Matthew Graves. But again not sure who the guy is to the left of John Hall.

Here is a snapshot at the beginning of the video that shows all of the helpers:
Attachments
2018UECamp 25perc.jpg
2018UECamp 25perc.jpg (126.63 KiB) Viewed 368 times

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Today 7:32 am

The graphic under Marty Hill, again listed his class status as "Senior".
Did I miss it anywhere posted?
Or, has that been determined to be correct?

I'm on board!
go aces

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader

Postby Austin Ace » Today 9:08 am

COUTEAU wrote:The graphic under Marty Hill, again listed his class status as "Senior".
Did I miss it anywhere posted?
Or, has that been determined to be correct?

I'm on board!
go aces

That might be a good grab bag question for Mr. Hickey to verify whether Marty is a Junior or Senior this year.

Happy Father's Day and Go Aces!!!

Return to “The Aces”