Depth chart

Discussions of all the Aces sports
acesfan65
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1975

Depth chart

Postby acesfan65 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:37 am

The official roster now has 13 players on it, let's talk depth chart!

1 Riley, Givance

2 Frederking, Feehan

3 Hill, Newton

4 Hall, Williams, Becker

5 Chatkevicius, Kuhlman

We have many players who can play multiple positions so we should see many different lineups during a game. What about 90 days or so to hoopfest?!

Purplewarrior
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1976

Re: Depth chart

Postby Purplewarrior » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:56 am

I only see 11 here. In order to build a program that is designed to win first, good ball handlers, 2nd we must rebound with mental toughness, you don't always have to physically but never intimidated. Third must be able to pass the ball, and play defense. I don't care who starts as long as all players understand and execute their roles. Over the years I have seen to many games where we were beat before taking the floor. Teams mentally out toughed us.

stennisrm72
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1964

Postby stennisrm72 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:10 am

Walk on Devan Straub isn't listed here. Don't know how much he'll actually play. He's a shooter/scorer from Mater Dei. I think he's eligible 2nd semester. He might eat a few minutes for this team.

Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces101 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:48 pm

I think Williams may end up starting at the 3 spot.

I would love to see this 1st unit (athleticism and full court pressing):

1 - Riley
2 - Hill
3 - Williams
4 - Hall
5 - Chatkevicius

I would like to see this as a 2nd Unit (shooters all over the court)
1 - Feehan/Givance*
2 - Frederking/Feehan
3- Newton
4 - Kuhlman
5 - Becker

*see if Givance can be redshirted to give him a year to develop physically and have him for 4 more years after Feehan and Hill graduate - if we need him this year though, play him.

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:17 pm

Well, I’m still not sure that I have received the answer to my question on if Marty Hill was redshirting, and it gets more confusing by the day. So, I will say it like this:

I ask the question of if MH had petitioned for and RECEIVED a medical redshirt, and basically get ripped for it because of “reasons” since the NCAA is about as squirrelly as they come on this stuff.

Then, another poster says that MH has received his medical redshirt, and will be a RSJR this year.

Then, Pat Hickey changes his depth chart on Twitter to reflect MH being a JR this coming season.

Now, posters are saying that MH is a SR this season, and his scholly becomes available next season.

And lastly, the roster for the coming season shows MH as a SR (not RSJR).

I’m confused. What is he? Guess I will find out when I get the chance to talk with coach Mac soon.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

stennisrm72
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1964

Postby stennisrm72 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:13 pm

According to the school website Marty Hill is a senior. The roster also lists senior Jared Chestnut from last year's team being on the 2018-2019 squad as well. He didn't play any but was listed as a senior last season. The official MBB website shows a roster of 13.

evilleman
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1992

Postby evilleman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:03 am

Purplewarrior wrote:I only see 11 here. In order to build a program that is designed to win first, good ball handlers, 2nd we must rebound with mental toughness, you don't always have to physically but never intimidated. Third must be able to pass the ball, and play defense. I don't care who starts as long as all players understand and execute their roles. Over the years I have seen to many games where we were beat before taking the floor. Teams mentally out toughed us.

Dribble, rebound, pass, defense. Pretty much covered every cliche category other than putting the ball in the bucket. Add that one in next time.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:11 am

Based on what I know about the players (very little to nothing) here is my wild guess of a lineup

1. Givance (to me this is the biggest weakness of the team at this point - PG) We are going to be counting on an freshman to carry the load here because I just don't see Riley thriving here. I know some won't like that, and I hope I am wrong. Riley will probably get some time here, and I don't think Feehan is really a PG but may get some time here too.

2. Frederking / Feehan / Hill / Newton - Could be a really strong position for us. I could see Newton redshirting unless he can play some PG because that is what we really need.

3. Williams / Frederking / Hill / Riley - I think Williams probably starts here, and could really be a key player for us.

4. Hall / Becker / Williams - Perhaps the biggest strength of the team - Crazy to say that after all we've seen at this spot.

5. DC / Kuhlman / Becker - I think Kuhlman probably plays the most here - think he could have a big year.

The spot that scares me most is the PG spot. Everything else seems fairly solid to me.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

ncace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:29 am

The coaches will sort it all out, but Tom is pretty much 100%. Unless we get a late transfer, ALL of these kids will get playing time. I'd be surprised if Givance redshirts. Agree that PG could be a tough fill. Riley didn't seem to be totally comfortable there last season, although I'll respect others' opinions that Walter's system may bring out his best. I have great hopes for Hall in this scheme, and Becker could be a sleeper who REALLY fills a need in the second half, although it may take him a few games to adjust to D!. A positive is flexibility. We have recruited players and kept carryovers who can play multiple positions, espec. 2 and 3. I think we'll have a few nights where we absolutely shoot lights out.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:37 am

Tom Servo wrote:Based on what I know about the players (very little to nothing) here is my wild guess of a lineup

1. Givance (to me this is the biggest weakness of the team at this point - PG) We are going to be counting on an freshman to carry the load here because I just don't see Riley thriving here. I know some won't like that, and I hope I am wrong. Riley will probably get some time here, and I don't think Feehan is really a PG but may get some time here too.

2. Frederking / Feehan / Hill / Newton - Could be a really strong position for us. I could see Newton redshirting unless he can play some PG because that is what we really need.

3. Williams / Frederking / Hill / Riley - I think Williams probably starts here, and could really be a key player for us.

4. Hall / Becker / Williams - Perhaps the biggest strength of the team - Crazy to say that after all we've seen at this spot.

5. DC / Kuhlman / Becker - I think Kuhlman probably plays the most here - think he could have a big year.

The spot that scares me most is the PG spot. Everything else seems fairly solid to me.

Completely agree Tom. I just don't see Walter handing over the point guard position to Riley (but I too may be wrong). I just do not think that is his strength to this team. The coach recruited Givance because he fit the description of what he was looking for in a pg. He may be pressed into more minutes than what normally might be expected as a freshman. As I have stated before, (but could be wrong again) I think Shea is going to handle the ball a lot.

Kuhlman might possibly play the most at the 5 positon if Walter wants to stretch the opposition's defense. It could happen if he is able to hold his own defensively.

Walter will play a lot of combinations early in the season to see what works I imagine. What is exciting is most of the kids on this team can hit the three.

Because of the roster size I think it is doubtful anyone will redshirt this year unless injured,

Return to “The Aces”