Todd Golden ESPN+ Article

Discussions of all the Aces sports
E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Todd Golden ESPN+ Article

Postby E-Villan » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:08 am

Here is a link to an article by Todd Golden of the Terre Haute Tribune-Star. If you are not aware, Todd is the beat writer for ISU, and does a nice job covering them and the league.

I understand his points, but to me, they are only valid if you are a current cable or satellite subscriber. Under the current set-up, to watch the "free" content on ESPN3, you had to be a cable or satellite customer. Yes, you could also have a Sling or similar package, but all have monthly subscription costs. None of it is "free".

From my understanding, with the new ESPN+ option, it is a stand-alone product, that is purchased independently of a subscription for $5/month. So a cord-cutter could access it now with this agreement for $5/month. Additionally, you could elect just to have it say from November through February. So, for around $20 total, you can access all of the MVC content on there during basketball season.

It is clear why ESPN is doing this. They have lost millions of traditional subscribers over the last couple of years. A lot of it is costs by cord-cutters. ESPN charges over 5X per subscriber more than the 2nd costliest cable channel. Many have become angered as well that ESPN seems to be less interested in providing un-objected sports coverage, and more time with political driven agendas. Without offering a stand alone product, they will continue to lose subscribers.

I keep cable for two reasons..the Cardinal games on Fox Midwest, and the Spectrum Roku app that lets me stream live channels without a cord. Pretty nice on the back porch or deck in the summer. If I cut the cord, I would have no interest in a streaming service to keep ESPN as part of a package. My only real interest would be the MVC coverage. With the new set-up, I can access it for 4 months for a lot less money.

http://www.tribstar.com/sports/todd-aar ... 3eb5d.html

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Re: Todd Golden ESPN+ Article

Postby Ad1770 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:26 pm

E-Villan wrote:Here is a link to an article by Todd Golden of the Terre Haute Tribune-Star. If you are not aware, Todd is the beat writer for ISU, and does a nice job covering them and the league.

I understand his points, but to me, they are only valid if you are a current cable or satellite subscriber. Under the current set-up, to watch the "free" content on ESPN3, you had to be a cable or satellite customer. Yes, you could also have a Sling or similar package, but all have monthly subscription costs. None of it is "free".

From my understanding, with the new ESPN+ option, it is a stand-alone product, that is purchased independently of a subscription for $5/month. So a cord-cutter could access it now with this agreement for $5/month. Additionally, you could elect just to have it say from November through February. So, for around $20 total, you can access all of the MVC content on there during basketball season.

It is clear why ESPN is doing this. They have lost millions of traditional subscribers over the last couple of years. A lot of it is costs by cord-cutters. ESPN charges over 5X per subscriber more than the 2nd costliest cable channel. Many have become angered as well that ESPN seems to be less interested in providing un-objected sports coverage, and more time with political driven agendas. Without offering a stand alone product, they will continue to lose subscribers.

I keep cable for two reasons..the Cardinal games on Fox Midwest, and the Spectrum Roku app that lets me stream live channels without a cord. Pretty nice on the back porch or deck in the summer. If I cut the cord, I would have no interest in a streaming service to keep ESPN as part of a package. My only real interest would be the MVC coverage. With the new set-up, I can access it for 4 months for a lot less money.

http://www.tribstar.com/sports/todd-aar ... 3eb5d.html

Couple of things on this. I cut cable a long time back. I do not believe I have had any type of cable in this house since I moved in. Hasn’t been worth it in all reality. Thing was this. Last season, I was able to watch any MVC games on my phone with ESPN3. I did not need a cable subscription for it. Now, part way through the season, we did pick up the direct tv streaming, and it still wasn’t as much as cable would have been monthly. But, now they want to take content that was free for us, and put it behind a paywall and make us pay a subscription fee for it? Who is making the money on this deal then since the MVC schools have to pay for ESPN to put their content on air, and now, ESPN is charging the customer the get that product that the schools are having to pay to put on. That is just bad business.

I will actually have a subscription on ESPN+, along with Hulu, Netflix, and HBO Go. (Direct TV probably getting dropped), but my question is this:

How many ways should ESPN be able to get paid for the content they put out? It is really getting to be a joke what these companies are allowed to do to chase a dollar.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

wildbill
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1975

Postby wildbill » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:35 pm

Well, I really enjoyed watching games on ESPN3. I am sure I will pay the 5 bucks for continued access. I already have Direct TV, which includes the ESPN family in my monthly rate, which is over $100 per month. Seems to me that I already pay ESPN enough, and I shouldn't have that extra $5. As for a person not paying for any ESPN, I would think the $5 fee was fair.

ncace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:42 pm

ESPN knows more ways to make money off content than we have ways to wisely manage our entertainment $$s. If you want a good long term return on your dollar, buy a hundred shares of Disney, which, as you know, owns ESPN, ABC, Pixar, etc.

UE11
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 2002

Postby UE11 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:53 am

Ad1770 wrote: Couple of things on this. I cut cable a long time back. I do not believe I have had any type of cable in this house since I moved in. Hasn’t been worth it in all reality. Thing was this. Last season, I was able to watch any MVC games on my phone with ESPN3. I did not need a cable subscription for it. Now, part way through the season, we did pick up the direct tv streaming, and it still wasn’t as much as cable would have been monthly. But, now they want to take content that was free for us, and put it behind a paywall and make us pay a subscription fee for it? Who is making the money on this deal then since the MVC schools have to pay for ESPN to put their content on air, and now, ESPN is charging the customer the get that product that the schools are having to pay to put on. That is just bad business.

I will actually have a subscription on ESPN+, along with Hulu, Netflix, and HBO Go. (Direct TV probably getting dropped), but my question is this:

How many ways should ESPN be able to get paid for the content they put out? It is really getting to be a joke what these companies are allowed to do to chase a dollar.

You may have not have had to pay any additional standalone fee to access ESPN3, but your internet service provider did to allow you to access the content. ESPN is now cutting out the middle man and offering the service direct to the consumer. Will your monthly internet bill go down now? Highly doubtful, but in one way or another you were still paying for the ESPN3 content. TNSTAAFL

At the risk of sounding like an ESPN salesman, the content on ESPN+ is much deeper than ESPN3, which was essentially a landing spot for mid-major conferences. Granted most of the people on this board were probably tuning in for exactly that, ESPN+ offers an MLB and NHL game a day, all non-national MLS broadcasts, USL, EFL, and access to on-demand content like 30 for 30 documentaries.

Finally, how are companies allowed to get paid for the content they offer? Seems self-explanatory to me, but if not, you have a couple of options; 1) Don’t subscribe, or 2) Find investors, buy the digital broadcast rights to MVC and whatever other niche sport leagues you want, offer them to whomever wants them free of charge.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

There are countless Eastern-Euro & Asian bootleg sites on that "inter-webs" thing.
I haven't paid for sports or entertainment programs whether broadcasted, cable, or even a film that just opened in a theater for years.
Have a laptop connected to a flat screen that's dedicated to only that purpose.
Using a second phone as a hot spot, tethered to the computer.
It's the advertising monies, that are important to cable and networks.
How many games have you attended.....college, pro, basketball, football, or hockey that are delayed because of the loss of an advertisers slot, during the game.
Those TV timeouts, during the game aren't for readjusting the signal or correcting the data stream.
Subscriber's fees are divided by so many corporate hands and signal providers pockets, by the time those monthly fees arrive at its destination, it's pennies on the dollar.
I attend an average of 7-8 ACES games a season, when I'm in the area. I've watched probably 95% of the rest, using this method.
If it's broadcasted, its out there.
Just gotta find it.

UE11
Road Tripper

Postby UE11 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:45 am

COUTEAU wrote:There are countless Eastern-Euro & Asian bootleg sites on that "inter-webs" thing.
I haven't paid for sports or entertainment programs whether broadcasted, cable, or even a film that just opened in a theater for years.
Have a laptop connected to a flat screen that's dedicated to only that purpose.
Using a second phone as a hot spot, tethered to the computer.
It's the advertising monies, that are important to cable and networks.
How many games have you attended.....college, pro, basketball, football, or hockey that are delayed because of the loss of an advertisers slot, during the game.
Those TV timeouts, during the game aren't for readjusting the signal or correcting the data stream.
Subscriber's fees are divided by so many corporate hands and signal providers pockets, by the time those monthly fees arrive at its destination, it's pennies on the dollar.
I attend an average of 7-8 ACES games a season, when I'm in the area. I've watched probably 95% of the rest, using this method.
If it's broadcasted, its out there.
Just gotta find it.

I'm not sure how buying a $500 laptop and paying $50/month for a phone/data plan makes better finanical sense than $~35/month for legit ways to view sports and moves.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:59 am

If you spend $500 on a laptop, someone saw you coming.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:02 am

And $50 on a second phone, is a whole lot less than cable bundled with an internet provider.

UE11
Road Tripper

Postby UE11 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:09 am

COUTEAU wrote:If you spend $500 on a laptop, someone saw you coming.

Ok, then a $200 laptop that will need replaced in a year because of the viruses from the bootleg sites, or $100, or $50. I still don't see how it makes more sense financially to buy a stand alone computer and a second data plan to stick it to the man and avoid paying $20/month for something like Sling and $5/month (or $50/year) for ESPN+.

Return to “The Aces”