PurpleWhiskers
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1977

Re: Pitt transfer Peace Ilegmah

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:39 pm

Ace78 wrote:
51ACE wrote:
Ad1770 wrote:
I actually hope that they can bring in one more “big” man, to help at the center spot, and then, he could be free to put Williams at the 4, or even the 3 on the wing. It would be a great rotation, and UE could potentially have mismatches all over the floor.

I am not totally disagreeing with you, but I actually would take Michael Moreno and consider saving a scholarship for the next year. I understand wanting the size, but the more I watch video on Moreno, the more I think he could be a dominate player for us. Obviously I don't know his mentality, but looking at his offense and his bulky size makes me think of a Charles Barkley type player. I am super high on him and think he could really put us over the top.....by the way, I am happy to have Peace on board and the fact that the coaches have the next 9 months to a year to work with him.

I totally agree about trying to win over Moreno. I've also been very impressed by the way he plays. Reminds me a lot of Parrish Casebier, but the way I understand it, he is an exemplary young man. Moreno would be an incredible addition to the talent we have on board for next year. Hopefully, Michael is keeping an eye on the success we are having, and will want to be a part of something special here. I also agree with saving that scholarship for next year.

No need to save a scholarship. Someone leaves the program every year for one reason or another opening up one or more. Saving a scholarship just leaves your bench thinner.

2012-13 Jordan Jahr and Jordan Nelson
2013-14 Ptacek, Sawvell, Rokas
2014-15 Brzoja, Taylor Stafford
2015-16 Harris Brown
2016-17 Jaiveon Eaves, Silas Adheke
2017-18 Dru Smith, Taylor, Hainna

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:48 pm

Great to have Peace on board. He may not be a blue chipper on offense, but he will be a great positive on defense, blocking shots, and getting rebounds. The coaching staff will have nine months to improve his offense, and I bet they do. I am all in on going for another 3 star, or better, post player. As they say in baseball, you can never have too much pitching.

mybigpurplebrain
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1982

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:51 pm

Ace78 wrote:
51ACE wrote:
Ad1770 wrote:
I actually hope that they can bring in one more “big” man, to help at the center spot, and then, he could be free to put Williams at the 4, or even the 3 on the wing. It would be a great rotation, and UE could potentially have mismatches all over the floor.

I am not totally disagreeing with you, but I actually would take Michael Moreno and consider saving a scholarship for the next year. I understand wanting the size, but the more I watch video on Moreno, the more I think he could be a dominate player for us. Obviously I don't know his mentality, but looking at his offense and his bulky size makes me think of a Charles Barkley type player. I am super high on him and think he could really put us over the top.....by the way, I am happy to have Peace on board and the fact that the coaches have the next 9 months to a year to work with him.

I totally agree about trying to win over Moreno. I've also been very impressed by the way he plays. Reminds me a lot of Parrish Casebier, but the way I understand it, he is an exemplary young man. Moreno would be an incredible addition to the talent we have on board for next year. Hopefully, Michael is keeping an eye on the success we are having, and will want to be a part of something special here. I also agree with saving that scholarship for next year.

Moreno is bigger than Casebier was also.

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:09 pm

I agree about not holding a scholarship. Any of a number of things can happen that can put a strain on a team if you don’t use all the resources available. Thirteen spread over five positions does not leave much of a margin for error.

I’m not advocating giving one just to fill it. The recipient must be worthy of the award. While I don’t want to see any of our current players leave, once our redshirts begin to play it would not surprise me if one or more did. That happens to programs everywhere. One thing I can say is that the chemistry of this team has not been seen in a long time. I see more smiles during the game than ever before. These kids really like playing together.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:06 pm

AcesHigh wrote:I agree about not holding a scholarship. Any of a number of things can happen that can put a strain on a team if you don’t use all the resources available. Thirteen spread over five positions does not leave much of a margin for error.

I’m not advocating giving one just to fill it. The recipient must be worthy of the award. While I don’t want to see any of our current players leave, once our redshirts begin to play it would not surprise me if one or more did. That happens to programs everywhere. One thing I can say is that the chemistry of this team has not been seen in a long time. I see more smiles during the game than ever before. These kids really like playing together.

As noted players leave all the time for a number of reasons because they think the grass is greener on the other side. I would imagine lack of playing time is the main reason for leaving. In the past 11 years we lost our fair share as posted already on this thread. I would imagine we lost our share due to lack of playing time, lack of any post season appearances and maybe a number of players did not like playing behind X player or being told you don't shoot, you screen hundreds of times, obviously not a lot of fun. That said, the players do appear to be enjoying themselves more under this coaching staff and players now have a much greater chance to see the post season unlike the last 20 years. However, some have to see the writing on the wall in that their playing time will become limited with three guys on the bench being eligible next year plus the recruits coming in and who is ahead of them already. So, they will each have to make a decision...do I like the school, the coaches, the teammates and even if I play 5-10 minutes a game and may go to the NIT or NCAA in a year or two, is it worth it vs going elsewhere at a lower level program and seeing more playing time? That said, I hope we do not lose any players. It is terrible Marty Hill will not be back again as Simmons blew that one for us. I feel terrible for him as all of us do on this board.

ncace
Bobblehead Owner

Postby ncace » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:51 pm

Walter is casting his net a lot wider than Simmons did....duh. He understands that you cannot wait until Spring of a kid's Sr. Year to get, and stay, in touch. His staff is building early relationships with multiple kids, and that just provides options. Young men make decisions, then change their minds. Guys transfer for more PT. D1 recruiting is nerve racking. If we upgrade a position thru recruiting, then a current player may decide to drop to D2, where he can star. Another kid might want to play closer to home, or there is a problem with grades. Ultimately, the coaching staff should be on a constant lookout for upgrading talent, while also bringing on a better schedule....that's the way you build a program.

As for Peace, he could provide immense value. Just look at John Hall's role this year. He has made a terrific contribution on the boards. Does he need 10-12 shots a game? No, he'll get 7 or 8 shots on a good night, because that's not the main role he's been asked to fill. I can see our coaches working with Peace to the point where he is a DOMINANT rebounder, getting 5-7 shots per game/putbacks, lay ups, dunks, and shooting 70% from the field, plus serving as a big-time rim defender. If he can run the court and limit fouls, we could really have something.

Just one more note re: Moreno. This is a very tough kid, and I've heard that he's a TEAM player. He is full throttle, and on his night, he can fill it up. He will thrive in Walter's system.

rpyke
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 2003

Postby rpyke » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:16 pm

Aces Insider on Peace.

https://youtu.be/PcvCwb1X3yI

ncace
Bobblehead Owner

Postby ncace » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:11 pm

A really good article. Obviously, Walter's rep is almost unlimited. When you can talk directly to Jeff Capel to see if a player fits, what he needs to reach his potential, etc. it just means that you can make a more educated decision. Peace seems to have a great ATTITUDE, and it sounds like he's a tough fella, based on what Walter and Feehan have said.

I really like this get. Peace may be a little raw, but he's an ATHLETE, and my money's on Walt and staff to bring him a ton of experience before he officially hits the court next season.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:23 pm

rpyke wrote:Aces Insider on Peace.

https://youtu.be/PcvCwb1X3yI

Thanks for the clip. Excellent job by Downs and informative. I think Peace will get excellent coaching and Walter will know how and when to use him.

Aces still need to recruit another big and feel the last scholarship with the best available player. Moreno would be a heck of a heist

ncace
Bobblehead Owner

Postby ncace » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:01 pm

100% on Moreno

Return to “Class of 2019”