Random tidbits and thoughts

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Ad1770
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Random tidbits and thoughts

Postby Ad1770 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:08 pm

Been paying attention to the Valley board, and a few things of note. Somethings are really blowing me away.

First, has anyone noticed that HCDF May have run Church off at Mo. St? He hasn’t bee at a practice since before Christmas, and no one seems to know what is going on. Of course, the last article I can find on any of it is Dec. 27. Big blow if it’s true.

Second, UNI apparently is down to 8 scholarship players as they have now lost another to a season ending injury.

Third and lastly, it appears that even with a 19 point curb stomping of the defending champ and preseason pick to win this season, the Aces continue to get no respect from other fan bases. After the Drake game, it was that they lost their best player to an injury. Now, Loyola fan is wanting to say they came out flat and that’s why they lost. Had nothing to do with the fact that the UE defense just shut down Custer, ot that Krutweg didn’t have a single assist, or they were beaten on the boards. They were just flat. (And I might agree with that if this was a game where UE just hung around and won on a buzzer beater, but damnit, UE lead by double digits for almost 30 minutes. That isn’t coming out flat by Loyola. That is getting it handed to you.)

Rant over. Thanks for listening (or reading) to it. Now, for a theory. Please, tell me what you think.

I believe that UE will fare better in games against conference opponents that they play at home first. The are five of them that we play here, then on the road (Drake, Loyola, ISUb, Valpo, Bradley). I believe that in those return games, we go at least 2-3, maybe 3-2. However, I believe that the other 4 that we play on the road first, then home (SIU, MSU, UNI, ISUr), we go 0-4. I hope we can go over and beat MSU, but don’t see it. Something also tells me that if we lose one at home, it will be to one of these four teams.

The experiment will begin next week. We are already 0-1 in road first games, and 0-0 in road second games. Wed. Jan. 23, we play our first road second game at Drake. Let’s see what happens.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

riverboat_gambler
Ford Center Regular

Re: Random tidbits and thoughts

Postby riverboat_gambler » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:23 pm

Ad1770 wrote:the Aces continue to get no respect from other fan bases. Now, Loyola fan is wanting to say they came out flat and that’s why they lost.

“I thought after their opening week they figured it out, but they came out so flat against Evansville and seemingly everything that could go against them did (plus I think Evansvilles legit, at least at home!).”

acesfan27
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby acesfan27 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:48 pm

I don’t even go to that site anymore that place is a big toxic waste and should really be shut down imho and to Loyola saying they came out flat there’s a good reason that u guys came out flat we made you guys turn the ball over multiple times and we also blocked or alturd your shots our defense has vastly improved and when we start hitting shots more consistently look out! Go Aces!!

Ad1770
Head Cheerleader

Postby Ad1770 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:14 pm

acesfan27 wrote:I don’t even go to that site anymore that place is a big toxic waste and should really be shut down imho and to Loyola saying they came out flat there’s a good reason that u guys came out flat we made you guys turn the ball over multiple times and we also blocked or alturd your shots our defense has vastly improved and when we start hitting shots more consistently look out! Go Aces!!

Truthfully, since the WSU fans left the board, it has actually gotten much better. There is actually some civility to it now, with the exception of an occasional UNI poster. I go over there for some pretty good insight around the Valley.

riverboat_gambler wrote:
Ad1770 wrote:the Aces continue to get no respect from other fan bases. Now, Loyola fan is wanting to say they came out flat and that’s why they lost.

“I thought after their opening week they figured it out, but they came out so flat against Evansville and seemingly everything that could go against them did (plus I think Evansvilles legit, at least at home!).”

Rbg, I see what you are doing. But read through it all. This is the same UE team that beat Ball St. by 17 here. The same Ball St. team that won in CHICAGO against LU. The poster tries to cover all sides, but fails miserably. Which is it? LU was flat, considering that most people believed the they had much more talent than UE, and as is the case, is believed to get beat by LU? Or, is it the fact that UE is actually more talented than people want to believe. Plain and simple, in my time watching and learning about the game, I have learned that less talented teams do not go out there and curb stomp teams with more talent by 19, even if they have a “flat” game. So, it must mean that they are legit (at home) then. But if that is the case, why give an excuse of the team came out flat? Man up and say that you got it handed to you it happens now and again.

Anyways. I’m not arguing over what an LU fan “technically” said. So that said, according to the fan that posted that, UE is legit at home, as long as Loyola comes out flat. Got it.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

PurpleWhiskers
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:32 pm

I don't see much wrong with what the Loyola fan said. It sure isn't any different that what many of us say when we lose a game we expected to win. In truth, the Aces have mostly been a second half team. In the first half we've been outscored 545 to 512. In the second half we've outscored the opponents 631 to 583. You could say that we come out flat often. On the other hand, Loyola came out flat, got a butt chewing at halftime and came out flat in the second half anyway. Not only that but they have already lost one more game than they lost all of last year. Loyola started the season flat and has basically stayed there. I'm not convinced yet that they will win the conference or Arch Madness.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:38 pm

As far as the Loyola game goes I don't think it was all 100% that Loyola came out flat, or 100% that the Aces just played harder than Loyola did. There was some of both factors involved. Porter Moser said after the game that Loyola didn't come to play, and the Aces took it to them. No team can play at 100% efficiency every game, and there are going to be games during the season that you just are not going to win, for whatever reason. I'm sure the Aces will have some more of those type of Ill. ST. games, as will Loyola. Do I think that the Aces are 19 points better than Loyola, I do not. I think that on a certain night in January they were on our home court, but that on another night, in Chicago they may not be. The mental aspect of any sport is way more important the the physical aspect, and who knows what is in the mind of 18, 19 , 20 year old's on any given night. All you can do enjoy the high points, and learn from the low points.

Yes, I do believe that the MVC board is a much better forum now that all the A hole Shocker fans are no longer there. I don't see a lot of Valpo fans coming out to say how good Mo. ST. is, Bradley fans praising SIU, or Ind. St fans saying how good Northern Iowa is, nor would I expect anybody to come out and give the Aces a lot of praise. Praise has to be earned, and the Aces haven't done enough yet to get that praise. I expect that before the year is out, that might change.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:20 pm

I don't go on the MVC board like I used to, so I decided to take a looksie. I really didn't have a problem with the Loyola post. They are pretty humble for the most part, and outside of last season, haven't had much to gloat about in a few decades. I didn't see anything that we wouldn't post after a similar performance. I did notice some Sycamore newbie has already posted this very thread on there trying to stir up some crap. I don't recall ever seeing Indiana State fans ever on there before, heck, there are more Murray State fans on there than INSU. Must of finally got dial up in Terre Haute.

There were a few Wichita fans that were really moronic, but let's face it, any ridicule we took in the Marty years was probably justified. There was the one UNI poster that interestingly, is now nowhere to be found. Big blowhard when they are winning, and hiding with his tail tucked now that they are a basement dweller. Even the Shocker fans would show up when they were losing.

With that great 3-0 start, I enjoyed the Valpo fans chest thumping and congratulating themselves on their upcoming 2019 conference championship. Never mind they heaved a miracle half-court shot at home to beat Illinois State, and then played two of the worst teams in the conference...they are 3-0, start the parade.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader

Postby muni cup14 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:55 am

My thoughts.The Aces are a much better team this year,and we are doing it with Marty's leftovers.Feehan and Hill are
the invaders to start.And I'm not knocking Jawan or Shamar but I believe Ryan and Dru are better than those two.Plus
you have 2 other Marty holdovers coming off the bench.So my point is could you imagine how good we might have been
with Ryan and Dru.So I guess Marty's system didn't allow these kids to flourish

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader

Postby muni cup14 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:59 am

Field of dreams:Build it and they will come.
Aces Basketball:Win games and they will come.

purpleredbird
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1984

Postby purpleredbird » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:47 am

PurpleWhiskers wrote:I don't see much wrong with what the Loyola fan said. It sure isn't any different that what many of us say when we lose a game we expected to win. In truth, the Aces have mostly been a second half team. In the first half we've been outscored 545 to 512. In the second half we've outscored the opponents 631 to 583. You could say that we come out flat often. On the other hand, Loyola came out flat, got a butt chewing at halftime and came out flat in the second half anyway. Not only that but they have already lost one more game than they lost all of last year. Loyola started the season flat and has basically stayed there. I'm not convinced yet that they will win the conference or Arch Madness.

I agree. I don't have a problem with what the Loyola fan posted. After watching the game I came away with a few conclusions.....at least from my perspective.

- Loyola seemed to come in very over-confident (re: flat).
- When Loyola got punched in the mouth early, they seemed to cave.
- Loyola does not have a lot of talent. Beyond their main 3 players (and maybe Williamson when he gets back), I don't really see much depth. At least not talent ready to step up when their big 3 have down games. If something doesn't change, could be some lean years ahead for Loyola after Custer and Townes are gone.
- Porter is still the same Porter I saw at ISUr. He is just not a very good game coach when it comes to making adjustments, either during the game or at halftime.

Go Aces!!!!!!!

Return to “The Aces”