Game Thread: Trees at Evansville

Discussions of all the Aces sports
sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Re: Game Thread: Trees at Evansville

Postby sect.3purple » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:19 pm

Ad1770 wrote:Ok. I took some time before I posted. I took the time to process what I saw yesterday, and came up with my reasonings. I understand when everyone says we need to have patience. I really get it. Thing is, at this point, and looking through the season, what are we needing to be patient about? The guys have shown that they have a good understanding of the offense and play it very well. The holdovers have adapted to it, and have shown that they understand it. Surely, it isn’t that.

I can be patient, but I have a big issues with the mistakes that are being made that should have been fixed by this point in time. 17.5 turnovers a game in conference play. That is way too many. Want to know why UE lost yesterday? 24 points off of 19 UE turnovers. This has been a continual problem all season, and they can’t shoot 55% every game to make up for it.

I guess I’ll be the one to ask it. Why is it, we have a player averaging over 4 turnovers a game and can’t hit a shot from over five feet from the rim handling the ball late in games and averaging 38 minutes a game, while we have a player sitting on the bench who plays the point much smoother, and averaging less than 2 turnovers a game, and has shown the ability to hit an outside jump shot.

Also, Kuhlman has got to get tougher down low. That is an area that we are thin. This is a huge problem.

Yesterday’s game was an anomaly of sorts. We seemed to beat them in every category, and actually beat them on the boards, while offensive rebounds are what sticks out in the OT, that wasn’t the reason we lost. Turnovers were.

We lost another game we should have won because as usual, the guys can’t take care of the basketball. And once again, we say the same thing. Need patience. Unfortunately, at some point, patience isn’t enough. Accountability is needed, and if it takes me saying something to start that ball rolling, so be it.

I have been criticized for posting my comments about a game performance that consisted of sloppy, non-focused play that resulted in us losing a game we could have won, and me being reminded that we are young, inexperienced, and that we should have patience because, after all, we shouldn't expect much this year.

I think that we SHOULD expect much more solid ball handling, attention to defense, ability to put the ball in the basket on layups and attention to the clock, avoiding those desperate clock-shot shots or violations.....to me, it is reasonable to expect time to develop team play, individual shooting skills, intensity on defense without fouling, etc., but the huge numbers of ball-handling turnovers and missed close-up shooting and lack of clock awareness are what should have been corrected many games ago and what are costing us wins that should have been ours.

The game yesterday with its 19 turnovers was an example of game that was so disappointing to me....I don't even think that our coach would ask patience with that sort of performance....at least I hope that he doesn't....patience shouldn't be a requirement for basics or for focus by a team.

Love the ACES but all out of patience and expecting much better ball handling, focus, and improvement on offense even if it takes extra practice n the gym......with an opening video like that dynamic one to open our game yesterday we need our ACES to play like the video introduces them!!! Patience has had its chance, now let's let focus and effort take over!

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:55 pm

sect.3purple wrote:
Ad1770 wrote:Ok. I took some time before I posted. I took the time to process what I saw yesterday, and came up with my reasonings. I understand when everyone says we need to have patience. I really get it. Thing is, at this point, and looking through the season, what are we needing to be patient about? The guys have shown that they have a good understanding of the offense and play it very well. The holdovers have adapted to it, and have shown that they understand it. Surely, it isn’t that.

I can be patient, but I have a big issues with the mistakes that are being made that should have been fixed by this point in time. 17.5 turnovers a game in conference play. That is way too many. Want to know why UE lost yesterday? 24 points off of 19 UE turnovers. This has been a continual problem all season, and they can’t shoot 55% every game to make up for it.

I guess I’ll be the one to ask it. Why is it, we have a player averaging over 4 turnovers a game and can’t hit a shot from over five feet from the rim handling the ball late in games and averaging 38 minutes a game, while we have a player sitting on the bench who plays the point much smoother, and averaging less than 2 turnovers a game, and has shown the ability to hit an outside jump shot.

Also, Kuhlman has got to get tougher down low. That is an area that we are thin. This is a huge problem.

Yesterday’s game was an anomaly of sorts. We seemed to beat them in every category, and actually beat them on the boards, while offensive rebounds are what sticks out in the OT, that wasn’t the reason we lost. Turnovers were.

We lost another game we should have won because as usual, the guys can’t take care of the basketball. And once again, we say the same thing. Need patience. Unfortunately, at some point, patience isn’t enough. Accountability is needed, and if it takes me saying something to start that ball rolling, so be it.

I have been criticized for posting my comments about a game performance that consisted of sloppy, non-focused play that resulted in us losing a game we could have won, and me being reminded that we are young, inexperienced, and that we should have patience because, after all, we shouldn't expect much this year.

I think that we SHOULD expect much more solid ball handling, attention to defense, ability to put the ball in the basket on layups and attention to the clock, avoiding those desperate clock-shot shots or violations.....to me, it is reasonable to expect time to develop team play, individual shooting skills, intensity on defense without fouling, etc., but the huge numbers of ball-handling turnovers and missed close-up shooting and lack of clock awareness are what should have been corrected many games ago and what are costing us wins that should have been ours.

The game yesterday with its 19 turnovers was an example of game that was so disappointing to me....I don't even think that our coach would ask patience with that sort of performance....at least I hope that he doesn't....patience shouldn't be a requirement for basics or for focus by a team.

Love the ACES but all out of patience and expecting much better ball handling, focus, and improvement on offense even if it takes extra practice n the gym......with an opening video like that dynamic one to open our game yesterday we need our ACES to play like the video introduces them!!! Patience has had its chance, now let's let focus and effort take over!

I agree,we were 500 not 2-14 or 6-10. We should be winning all home games from now on

Purple&Orange
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1988

Postby Purple&Orange » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:26 pm

7 days ago the probability that we’d be 1-1 vs Loyola and Indiana State was higher than losing both or winning both.

I felt we were a little too passive vs Indiana State, too stagnant offensively and at times looking for someone else to make the play. We missed multiple chances to extend a lead, the biggest that stands out was at 28-21 when Lansing took a timeout late in the first half. They won the last 3 minutes or so to close the half....we win it and it’s double digits at half.

I feel there is too much parity in The Valley for anyone to go 9-0 at home, but as others have stated our margin of error is fairly small. This league tends to have a few Rick fights from time to time, learning how to grind out possessions while maintaining that aggressiveness, as well as playing 40 solid minutes on the road and getting a win is the next step....handingly success with more success and a hunger to keep it at that level.

Bottom line is we weren’t sharp....missed free throws, layups/stick backs, turnovers, as well as the offensive boards given up were too much to overcome. Learning from what happened and the differences between Loyola and Indiana State will set the course for how the rest of Valley play will shake out.

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby sect.3purple » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:21 pm

I agree with other posts...the new pre-game video with UE's Rami Malik is the best I have seen....what a way to start a game! Now our ACES have to PLAY with that sort of toughness and determination!

Rock em, ACES!

ncace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:37 pm

Back around Christmas, I had expressed hope that the athletic dept. staff would not continue a patterned, routine offering at time-outs, breaks, etc. They have responded, to some extent, and better than I expected. We need to continue to stage "events" that bring out fans. Donnie Baseball was great. The Hall of Fame thing will be a draw, and hopefully there is more to come. Ultimately, the draw of the Aces themselves will be terrific, but for now, we need to provide extra reasons for fan support and attendance.

Credit should be given to the student section. The Aces are simply better because you show you care. The neat thing is that when we draw crowds of 7500 on a regular basis, the sideshows will get better, because they will celebrate success. Despite our analysis of recent games, we ARE dedicated to the success of this program. Something special is being rebuilt with ACES basketball, and WE'RE ON BOARD!

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1976

Postby CoachD88 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:43 pm

sect.3purple wrote:

Hmmm.....and I got blasted for this too.....just want and wanted to see good solid basketball. So glad to see the student section the way it is and hope it only grows. Pray we feed off them and not vice versa.....these boys deserve the crowd, but these boys also need to produce in front of them!
Just my opinion...I could be wrong!

NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Postby NumbersDontLie » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:58 pm

Turnovers vs Loyola: 17
Turnovers vs In State: 19 - 2 of which were in OT

Which means we had the same number of turnovers in both games. Amazing how hitting a few more shots changes your view of how the game went.

2-6 in the first 8 conference games last year. Anybody wanna bet we won’t top that?

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:26 pm

Just remember there were complaints last year, different coach, basically same players, but still complaints of some fans of different issues. So what's the common denominator? I see 2 complaining fans and players not playing right. So what makes the biggest difference in the game, well it's not the fans. So my guess is you can't really change a 2 star player even with a 4 star coaching staff, it helps, but we will not see the biggest change until we get a roster of McCarty recruits, just my opinion.

6th man
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 6th man » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:30 pm

Free throws; second half UE 6-7 Thirteen fouls call on the Aces
InSU 15-20 Six fouls call against the trees
Get on Board
UE Integrity
GO ACES

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:15 am

When I speak of 'patience" I am not just addressing the development of the players we see on the floor. We all should know by now our best players are being redshirted, and next year's team is going to look entirely different. The guys playing this year are gaining valuable minutes but most will not be playing nearly as much as they presently are next season. What Walter has done with this present roster has been spectacular, but it is quite a stretch to believe we have enough talent to play at a real high level night after night....as much as I would like to see that, I just don't think that is realistic.

Return to “The Aces”