MSU @ UE final.JPG (53.43 KiB) Viewed 338 times

68-56 Bears.
Let's get this McCarty Party started.

Atlanta Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Re: Game Thread: MSU at Evansville

Postby Atlanta Ace » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:33 pm

Aces101 wrote:There just isn’t a lineup that these coaches can put together that is good enough to compete day in and day out. Next season can’t get here fast enough!

+1
Let's get this McCarty Party started.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:00 pm

I think tonight was another example of the complete lack of mental talent on this team. Coach was right, they didn’t show up for half one. They just don’t have the margin for error to do it. Hopefully will be a much different story next year. Just got to stay behind them and hope we can win a few more this year. Like a lot of us keep saying...building block year 1’s are not usually very good. I’m still excited about the future.

On the bright side, we got to see sone great celebrity cameo tonight:
Balding ref who was terrible - Toby Flenderson from The Office
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:09 pm

Atlanta Ace wrote:
Aces101 wrote:There just isn’t a lineup that these coaches can put together that is good enough to compete day in and day out. Next season can’t get here fast enough!

+1

As Luke Zoeller who was commentating for ESPN said tonight, it takes two years sometimes three for a new coach to have the team he needs to perform to the Coaches expectations.

McCarty has two more years to get all 13 scholarships filled with his players. It’s coming.

JohnU
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1966

Postby JohnU » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:18 pm

I think maybe they would be more successful if they stopped bouncing the ball so damned often, esp. when part of the time, it hits their foot.

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby sect.3purple » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:45 pm

This is a gripe, but I think I am entitled to it. After dishing out money for 2 season tickets, driving 2 hours total, back and forth for each game, I think it only fair that our team shows up to play ball! We had ZERO defense the entire first half, and not that much offense....18 point hole to dig out of....that is what caused this loss! This team just does not play smart, nor do they have any fight in them on defense. Wide-open 3's and drive after drive for poorly-defended lay-ups in the first half! Does it take half-time to persuade this team to actually play defense!!

Also, why keep DC on the bench when Kuhlman cannot defend under the basket? Why sit Feehan after a short period on the floor, and after him hitting a 3 early in the game? Don't tell me he wasn't playing defense! Not a single Ace out there played defense for the first 20 minutes! Why were these guys not ready to play tonight or several other nights lately?

My biggest concern is why are we steadily getting worse, why are we so soft and certainly not tough as the season goes on. Regardless of talent level ( the same excuse that is given for our poor performance), we should not be losing games because of basic basketball skills and because of poor effort! These two areas make me fear for what we might see next year!

I know ...I've heard it over and over, this is a building year and we are fortunate to have won as many games as we have...I just don't buy that...we still should NOT be regressing and we should NOT be putting forth such lack of effort and energy!

kyace1
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1983

Postby kyace1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:11 pm

The team cannot play without Givance. They were down 5 when he went out with 10 minutes to go in the 1st half. Didn’t play rest of the half. Aces down 18 at halftime. 2nd half when he was in +11. Total for the game UE was plus 6 when Givance was in and - 18 when he was out. They cannot set him for 10 minute stretches. I am a big McCarty fan, but I believe his substitution patterns should be criticized.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:15 pm

sect.3purple wrote:This is a gripe, but I think I am entitled to it. After dishing out money for 2 season tickets, driving 2 hours total, back and forth for each game, I think it only fair that our team shows up to play ball! We had ZERO defense the entire first half, and not that much offense....18 point hole to dig out of....that is what caused this loss! This team just does not play smart, nor do they have any fight in them on defense. Wide-open 3's and drive after drive for poorly-defended lay-ups in the first half! Does it take half-time to persuade this team to actually play defense!!

Also, why keep DC on the bench when Kuhlman cannot defend under the basket? Why sit Feehan after a short period on the floor, and after him hitting a 3 early in the game? Don't tell me he wasn't playing defense! Not a single Ace out there played defense for the first 20 minutes! Why were these guys not ready to play tonight or several other nights lately?

My biggest concern is why are we steadily getting worse, why are we so soft and certainly not tough as the season goes on. Regardless of talent level ( the same excuse that is given for our poor performance), we should not be losing games because of basic basketball skills and because of poor effort! These two areas make me fear for what we might see next year!

I know ...I've heard it over and over, this is a building year and we are fortunate to have won as many games as we have...I just don't buy that...we still should NOT be regressing and we should NOT be putting forth such lack of effort and energy!

Don't blame you one bit for this post ! Walter summed it up in the post game interview when he said we did not show up, gave no effort in the first half, let them have their way and it was too much for a team with not a lot of talent to dig out of. Disappointing effort for sure !

The crowds have come back to show their passion for the Aces and gratitude for the changes at the top, but a number of games like this win or lose with no effort for the entire first half and we won't have the crowds for long. As others said after this game, next year can't get here soon enough.
Everyone will be 0-0 in a few weeks in St Louis.

Go Aces !

stennisrm72
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby stennisrm72 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:28 pm

All I will say is that I've been buying my season tickets since the Dick Walters era. I've seen better and I've seen much worse (read Merfeld). I'll continue to buy them until they put me in my mausoleum spot. I'll be disappointed at times like the last few games but as the school song states: true and loyal I will be. I hope others will be as well.

Return to “The Aces”