Game Thread: MSU at Evansville

Discussions of all the Aces sports
JohnU
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1966

Re: Game Thread: MSU at Evansville

Postby JohnU » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:48 pm

Lots of up and down play in the Valley and the bad teams are proving to be that.

Just watching the games this year, both the Aces and other teams ... they are clanking free throw after free throw. Then I found some Youtube films of the days when Scott Haffner shot free throws for the Aces. An art form? Nah ... it's practice. It's the one skill that doesn't depend on size, or quickness or lateral motion or strength. You just practice. Haffner was as smooth as silk at the line.

Valley refs are calling way too many fouls and guess who is losing games? Bricklayers. And if you aren't overall very good at the line, your 3-point shooting will be just as marginal.

There are games when this isn't an issue but there are lots of games when it is. Recruit anybody you want and if you get 60-some percent at the line, you will not be very successful.

The things you can fix, you fix.

acesfan27
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby acesfan27 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:05 pm

We just don’t have any real talent on the team besides Shamar and Newton everybody else is either a hit or miss thus we continue getting off to slow starts which you cannot do in the valley period these teams will make u pay and judging by the way the guys are playing next season can’t get here quick enough!

Ace78
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Ace78 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:55 pm

I guess at this point the Aces need to planning on their version of the 2016 Austin Peay team ... bottom seed win 4 games in 4 days - go to the NCAA tourney. That still amazes me how APSU did that!

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:12 am

Not so much complaining,just observations on my part.
1.This team to me is tired of losing.And there are two things you can do.
One work your ass off and get better,or two,pack your bags up and go on
vacation.This team has packed its bags and heading to the beach.
2.Hall hasn't performed the last 4 games.
3.Riley seems to be upset that Shamar is handling the PG duties when he's in.
4.Our best two perimeter defenders are Shamar,and Newton.Start both.
5.And we are a better team with DC on the floor.

Thursday in St.Louis

Acepurple71
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Acepurple71 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:36 am

muni cup14 wrote:Not so much complaining,just observations on my part.
1.This team to me is tired of losing.And there are two things you can do.
One work your ass off and get better,or two,pack your bags up and go on
vacation.This team has packed its bags and heading to the beach.
2.Hall hasn't performed the last 4 games.
3.Riley seems to be upset that Shamar is handling the PG duties when he's in.
4.Our best two perimeter defenders are Shamar,and Newton.Start both.
5.And we are a better team with DC on the floor.

Thursday in St.Louis

I agree on this. They have given up this season it seems like. Lost confidence in themselves. Riley is not a ball handler in the since Shamar or Newton are. When he was called on the traveling during their run it killed what comeback they had going. It was a mental mistake on his part. DC should be on the floor more. All the way to him fouling out is necessary.

mybigpurplebrain
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1982

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:58 am

Not sure where you find the info but, somebody do the + and - of Danius in the game . It fell apart when he went out just under 14 and didn’t come back until under 4.
I would have had him fight back in at the under 12 media timeout . It may coincide with Shamar being out but there was not any inside effort without him.

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:12 am

I read every comment on this board and it's amazing how many different solutions I have heard this year, if you go back and read even into last year, which this team is basically the same team - the best two players. Last year it was change the line up, which Simmons never did, shoot more threes, can't have the slow start. Then this year some of the same complaints with a different coach, I still say it's talent, you don't have to agree, but until we can get 8 - 10 legit quality MVC players on the roster these complaints will not stop. I think in a scale of MVC talent we are at about 1.5 next year I think we will be at about 6 so will we win it, not unless we land a few more great recruits probably not, but we will be better. With all that said it's not like flipping a switch example# 1 look at Bloomington, #2 look to Champaign, IL you can get the best and brightest coaches available, and even then sometimes it just doesn't happen as quickly as the fans want.

kyace1
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1983

Postby kyace1 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:42 am

mybigpurplebrain wrote:Not sure where you find the info but, somebody do the + and - of Danius in the game . It fell apart when he went out just under 14 and didn’t come back until under 4.
I would have had him fight back in at the under 12 media timeout . It may coincide with Shamar being out but there was not any inside effort without him.

DC was - 4 in the first half when he went out at 14 minute mark. Came back in for 3 more minutes and was -2 in that stint. Aces were -18 total in 1st half. DC was -6

2nd half UE +8 when he went out at 13:20. Didn’t return until 3:52 he went out at 1:28 he was -1. 1:16 until. 0:48 +1. DC in 2nd half was +8.

DC +2, Aces -12 for the game

mybigpurplebrain
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1982

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:46 am

kyace1 wrote:
mybigpurplebrain wrote:Not sure where you find the info but, somebody do the + and - of Danius in the game . It fell apart when he went out just under 14 and didn’t come back until under 4.

DC was - 4 in the first half when he went out at 14 minute mark. Came back in for 3 more minutes and was -2 in that stint. Aces were -18 total in 1st half. DC was -6

2nd half UE +8 when he went out at 13:20. Didn’t return until 3:52 he went out at 1:28 he was -1. 1:16 until. 0:48 +1. DC in 2nd half was +8.

DC +2, Aces -12 for the game

Yea they all sucked it up in the first half but I thought there was a good + for Danius in the 2nd half .

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:52 am

Missouri State most improved team in the league. Coach Ford at MSU or Darian DeVries at Drake should get COY. Walter can only get so much out the talent he has on hand. As difficult as it might be for some to fathom at this point, the Aces have still overachieved. Our time will come. This year was going to be a wash from a wins and loses point of view. Once Walter adds few more pieces with the talent we have on hand next season we all be standing on our seats. Let's just sit back and continue to support the Aces the rest of the season and enjoy it as much as we can.

Return to “The Aces”