Barry Hinson

Discussions of all the Aces sports
muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Barry Hinson

Postby muni cup14 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:52 am

Looks like SIU fans have received there wish.Hinson is out
as coach at SIU after 7 years of no NCAA,orNIT bid.
We had ours for 11 years. :? :? :? :?

Ad1770
Head Cheerleader

Re: Barry Hinson

Postby Ad1770 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:58 am

I really feel sorry for the guy. He walked into a dumpster fire from the start, and what made it worse was that he really wasn’t a “fan favorite”, he didn’t have a chance. Throw in the budget issues of Illinois public schools, and the recent schism between SIU and SIU-E, and the possibility of the split, as well as the declining enrollment at SIU, and it was all even worse for him.

I would like (as some have suggested before, so not an original idea by me) to see him become the commissioner of the MVC. He is a gifted speaker, and I do believe he could really push the conference in the right direction.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

211N-69
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 211N-69 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:43 am

SIU probably has champagne preferences on a beer budget.
Athletics just does not yield the enormous dollars some people like to think and being somewhere "in the herd" is troubling for fans who wish for that shining moment that Loyola or George Mason experienced.

All this is -- rinse and repeat. The coach can do some things to polish the apple, but he can't always choose the apple.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:13 am

Just saw his news conference. Had to feel sorry for him. He's a good guy, and a survivor. He will land on his feet, and go on to better things.

riverboat_gambler
Ford Center Regular

Postby riverboat_gambler » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:31 am

You would feel even more sorry if you heard what Saluki fans shouted at him during his final walk. Made me regret even going to STL. Should’ve done OVC.

He deserves and will move onto better things.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:49 am

riverboat_gambler wrote:You would feel even more sorry if you heard what Saluki fans shouted at him during his final walk. Made me regret even going to STL. Should’ve done OVC.

I have always liked SIU, going back to when they filled in for us after the plane crash for our holiday tournament. I have a lot of friends and business associates in Southern Illinois, and there are some fantastic wineries over there....but things seem to have slowly deteriorated in regards to the SIU fans and students.

I can understand wanting to win, and can even understand wanting a change...we of all people can relate....but the way their fans have treated Barry, is completely off the charts. Doxxing posters, threatening to get people fired, booing and verbally attacking him, is completely unacceptable behavior.

Say what you want about his coaching or record, but there is nobody who has stuck up for his team, school and even our conference better than Barry Hinson. He deserved a better send off and a little class and appreciation. I am starting to hope they get C-LO 2.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:24 pm

riverboat_gambler wrote:You would feel even more sorry if you heard what Saluki fans shouted at him during his final walk. Made me regret even going to STL. Should’ve done OVC.

Speaking of the OVC, the game tonight will be one for the ages. Ja versus Belmont. Probably close to a sellout, if the weather cooperates.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:55 pm

I felt bad for him too, listening to the post game. Until this season I thought he did a pretty decent job over there. Not really sure what happened but I think they have some head case players (Fletcher definitely - suspended multiple games this year). Definitely had a much shorter leash than Simmons had here.

They will certainly have a major rebuild on their hands, and we all know how that is.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

riverboat_gambler
Ford Center Regular

Postby riverboat_gambler » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:00 pm

E-Villan wrote:

I have always liked SIU, going back to when they filled in for us after the plane crash for our holiday tournament. I have a lot of friends and business associates in Southern Illinois, and there are some fantastic wineries over there....but things seem to have slowly deteriorated in regards to the SIU fans and students.

I can understand wanting to win, and can even understand wanting a change...we of all people can relate....but the way their fans have treated Barry, is completely off the charts. Doxxing posters, threatening to get people fired, booing and verbally attacking him, is completely unacceptable behavior.

Say what you want about his coaching or record, but there is nobody who has stuck up for his team, school and even our conference better than Barry Hinson. He deserved a better send off and a little class and appreciation. I am starting to hope they get C-LO 2.

Yeah everyone has tough guys behind the keyboard or a few drunks at the game.

But this was a solid 50-100 people across 2 sections verbally abusing a guy and dancing on his grave. It felt personal. It felt gross. Younger security guy turns to me “I do 41 Blues games a year. Fans flip on a dime. But that’s as brutal as I’ve seen.”

indymoon
Road Tripper

Postby indymoon » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:50 pm

riverboat_gambler wrote:
E-Villan wrote:

Yeah everyone has tough guys behind the keyboard or a few drunks at the game.

But this was a solid 50-100 people across 2 sections verbally abusing a guy and dancing on his grave. It felt personal. It felt gross. Younger security guy turns to me “I do 41 Blues games a year. Fans flip on a dime. But that’s as brutal as I’ve seen.”

That’s ridiculous. Hinson seems like a good guy and definitely gives everything he’s got. The rumor from the MVC fans board is he will move back home to OK and may run for office.

Return to “The Aces”