Marty Simmons back to Edwardsville?

Discussions of all the Aces sports
letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:34 am
Fan Since: 1969
Location: St. Louis

Marty Simmons back to Edwardsville?

Postby letsgoAces » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:37 am

Marty Simmons is being rumored to being very interested in becoming head basketball coach at SIUE, where he came before Evansville.
The AD, who chose not to renew contract of their former coach, wants someone with extensive D-1 experience. I do know he and Simmons were very close when he served their earlier.

User avatar
Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 2194
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:08 pm
Fan Since: 1991
Location: Evansville, IN

Re: Marty Simmons back to Edwardsville?

Postby Tom Servo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:32 am

He could have some success there...the OVC is pretty bad once you get past Belmont, Murray, and Jax State. Murray may leave, which could open up some chances for him. He could do much better at that level than the MVC level...in my opinion. The defensive intensity just isn't at the same level in the OVC that it is in the MVC...that was the #1 thing I noticed when watching several OVC games and the OVC tourney. It was a night and day difference to me. Not to mention, there isn't a ton of size in that conference. His 4 guard look would be more effective against that level of competition.

Here is the article where Simmons was mentioned:
https://www.thetelegraph.com/sports/art ... 679789.php
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

ncace
Bobblehead Owner
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:55 am
Fan Since: 1969

Re: Marty Simmons back to Edwardsville?

Postby ncace » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:32 am

It's about the best Marty might aspire to, and it's probably a good fit as a location, too. Good luck to Marty.

User avatar
211N-69
Bobblehead Owner
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:48 am
Fan Since: 1964

Re: Marty Simmons back to Edwardsville?

Postby 211N-69 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:52 am

That would be great for Simmons.

mybigpurplebrain
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:43 pm
Fan Since: 1982

Re: Marty Simmons back to Edwardsville?

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:22 am

His lack of character would disqualify him for me. Still never thanked UE for his time here.

In contrast , Barry Hinson did right away, as do most any coach I’ve ever seen fired.

riverboat_gambler
Ford Center Regular
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:33 am

Re: Marty Simmons back to Edwardsville?

Postby riverboat_gambler » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:37 pm

mybigpurplebrain wrote:His lack of character would disqualify him for me. Still never thanked UE for his time here.

In contrast , Barry Hinson did right away, as do most any coach I’ve ever seen fired.


Great comparison. Hinson was in a much more toxic situation too and finished with 4 straight T4 finishes.

User avatar
E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 967
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:33 am
Fan Since: 1967
Location: Under the Ohio River

Re: Marty Simmons back to Edwardsville?

Postby E-Villan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:16 pm

riverboat_gambler wrote:
mybigpurplebrain wrote:His lack of character would disqualify him for me. Still never thanked UE for his time here.

In contrast , Barry Hinson did right away, as do most any coach I’ve ever seen fired.


Great comparison. Hinson was in a much more toxic situation too and finished with 4 straight T4 finishes.


Agreed. Hinson inherited a very toxic situation, and stabilized things, and ended up falling on his sword after 7 seasons, following a 3rd place finish.

Simmons, after 11 seasons of no postseason, and back to back Thursday losses, had to be dragged off kicking and screaming, and did everything he could do to wreck the program even farther afterwards...all the while giving the fans and remaining players the middle finger.

I don't wish him ill, but I don't care if he ever coaches again.

Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:35 pm
Fan Since: 1980

Re: Marty Simmons back to Edwardsville?

Postby Aces101 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:27 pm

Maybe UE will schedule a home and home against SIUE and we can enjoy the McCarty party......

youngacesfan
Road Tripper
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:56 pm
Fan Since: 1999

Re: Marty Simmons back to Edwardsville?

Postby youngacesfan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:21 pm

He didn't get the job fwiw

GA Ace
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 676
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:32 pm
Fan Since: 1986

Re: Marty Simmons back to Edwardsville?

Postby GA Ace » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:45 pm

Tom Servo wrote:He could have some success there...the OVC is pretty bad once you get past Belmont, Murray, and Jax State. Murray may leave, which could open up some chances for him. He could do much better at that level than the MVC level...in my opinion. The defensive intensity just isn't at the same level in the OVC that it is in the MVC...that was the #1 thing I noticed when watching several OVC games and the OVC tourney. It was a night and day difference to me. Not to mention, there isn't a ton of size in that conference. His 4 guard look would be more effective against that level of competition.

Here is the article where Simmons was mentioned:
https://www.thetelegraph.com/sports/art ... 679789.php


Loved this part of the article:

“In his last five years with the Purple Aces, Simmons three times finished in the top four in voting for the Missouri Valley Conference Coach of the Year.”

If two is not a winner and three no one remembers, why is forth even mentioned? Seems this is the same type of write up when Simmons got the Dwight Schrute assistant TO the general manager type of job at Clemson. Anyways, Brian Barone was named the Interim Head Coach at SIUE.


Return to “The Aces”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher and 2 guests