Brilliant PR move by Bradley..bans beat writer prior to NCAA

Discussions of all the Aces sports
E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Brilliant PR move by Bradley..bans beat writer prior to NCAA

Postby E-Villan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:43 am

In case you missed it, Bradley banned long time beat writer, Dave Reynolds from access to the team.

https://www.pjstar.com/sports/20190315/ ... dley-brand

I am not a huge Reynolds fan, as he always came across as a snarky homer. Remember, it was him who rushed to break the story that UE would be announcing a move to the Horizon within a couple of days....5 or 6 years ago. With that said, this is an absolute terrible look for Bradley on the cusp of their NCAA bid. Like him or not, there is no denying he covered the heck out of Bradley. Last year, Loyola had Sister Jean, this year, Bradley has thin skinned Wardle and staff.

I have always thought Wardle was somewhat of an unhinged whackadoodle, but this seems to confirm it. Let's not forget his stellar reputation while at Wis-GB:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... s/2123569/

Of course, similar things have happened here. Crews banned Courier reporter Tom Collins back in the 90's for similar. I have been critical of the passes our local media gave to Marty, but there is a very thin fine line these guys have to hold to keep access. Right or wrong, it is a fact. I think Pat does a very good job, and is able to be fair and objective for the most part.

It's really hard to root for Wardle in the tournament.

AcesChamps6571
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Re: Brilliant PR move by Bradley..bans beat writer prior to NCAA

Postby AcesChamps6571 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:10 pm

Pretty petty move on Bradley's part. As for rooting for Wardle, his team will likely be a 15 seed, lowest ever from the MVC. They're looking at a game with a UNC, Tennessee, Michigan State, Houston, someone like that . So he likely won't have to worry about coverage after one game.
Then it will be interesting to see how the paper there covers them moving forward.

riverboat_gambler
Ford Center Regular

Postby riverboat_gambler » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:33 pm

Too bad Drake had those injuries. They would’ve made a better mvc rep.

GA Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1986

Postby GA Ace » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:10 pm

15 seed Bradley plays 2 seed and Big Ten champion Michigan State on Thursday. Game will be in Des Moines.

purpleredbird
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1984

Postby purpleredbird » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:25 am

AcesChamps6571 wrote:Pretty petty move on Bradley's part. As for rooting for Wardle, his team will likely be a 15 seed, lowest ever from the MVC. They're looking at a game with a UNC, Tennessee, Michigan State, Houston, someone like that . So he likely won't have to worry about coverage after one game.
Then it will be interesting to see how the paper there covers them moving forward.

Does not surprise me in the slightest. Coach Weirdal has always had a reputation of being a very self-absorbed person who thinks the world is against him. If you've ever heard him speak he comes off as EXTREMELY ARROGANT, so this does not surprise me at all. I've spoken to Dave R a few times and always found him to be a very nice person. Bradley's scrambling now to save face is fun to watch.

GA Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1986

Postby GA Ace » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:19 pm

Bradley up 35-34 over Sparty at half. Go, fight, win Bradley, the other MVC teams need the $ more than the 14 Big Ten teams.

indymoon
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1980

Postby indymoon » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:58 am

What happened with the Wardle investigation at UWGB? He was obviously successful on the court given he moved up to Bradley. That's the landscape of D1 basketball.

Does anyone know if AD Reynolds knew about and allowed the ban of the reporter? The HC sometimes holds too much power and authority but someone finally wised up. Was it Reynolds or President?

Return to “The Aces”