2019 Non Conference Schedule

Discussions of all the Aces sports
AcesChamps6571
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Re: 2019 Non Conference Schedule

Postby AcesChamps6571 » Sun May 12, 2019 2:25 pm

The Aces do have several known return games, we just don't have certain dates yet. Murray State and Miami (Ohio) were road games last season, and will be home games this coming season. Ball State was both home snd away last fall, and they also come here next season, before UE goes back there again the following year. Jacksonville State and UW- Green Bay were home games, and will be road games this next season.
The Bahamas tournament is 3 games, not 4, unless they attrach some kind of mainland game on to it.
I would like to know if it is an exemt tournament. In other words, play 9 games plus the Bahamas tourney. There are so many of these tourneys now, and not sure which ones are counted as exempt. Maui is, the Spiece tourney at Disney is, same with the NIT Tipoff, snd there's others. I don't know if UE's tournament is, but wouldn't be surprised if it isn't. That would allow 3 extra non conference games if it were.
Dayton won't be coming to Evansville unless it would be in the postseason NIT and the Aces are the better seed. They would have no choice then. They're not going to willingly come here. I would also say that St. Louis won't come here either, but with the Travis Ford- Walter McCarty connection, it might be possible, as long as both are at their respective schools. Otherwise, no way the Billikens will come here.
Dayton and SLU, like Butler, are "above" playing Evansville, at least on the road. That's how it seems anyway.
Western Kentucky would be an excellent addition to the schedule. The schools have past history from not that long ago, and both would have fans on the road. There are a lot of WKU alumni in this area.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Sun May 12, 2019 3:44 pm

I totally agree...the only way teams like that will start playing road games at Evansville again is for Evansville to elevate the program. If we can do that, the schedule will improve, but we won't be able to just start magically getting home games with teams like Dayton, Butler, or any similar type team until other teams won't view us as a devastating loss. Like it or not, that's what they think after the "lost 20 years."

The schedule as it is now is fine for where we are right now, there really is a ceiling to how good it can be, until we have success and get the program back to where it needs to be. Home and homes with teams like Murray, GB, Miami, Ball St., Belmont, etc is good - big step in the right direction. You can't prostitute yourself with buy games, one is more than enough. Look what good that does for SWAC schools. And you can't play all cupcakes at home. Right now, we are in a good spot with what the schedule is right now in my opinion.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Postby NumbersDontLie » Sun May 12, 2019 8:38 pm

The Bahamas event is exempt. So it counts as one non-conference game. As of now it looks like it is just the 3 games and no on-campus games associated with it.

I’m excited for the UK game. You know it will have some National TV interest with Walter coaching.

evilleman
Head Cheerleader

Postby evilleman » Mon May 13, 2019 8:59 am

Is the MVC/MWC challenge still a thing?

AcesChamps6571
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Postby AcesChamps6571 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:09 am

Thanks NumbersDontLie.
With the Bahamas tournament being an exempt event, there's the good possibility of two more non conference games. Hopefully, they will both be home games.
The on again, off again MVC/ MWC challenge is not happening. The MWC is starting a new challenge with the Atlantic 10.
It might come back in a couple years.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Mon May 13, 2019 9:47 am

AcesChamps6571 wrote:The Aces do have several known return games, we just don't have certain dates yet. Murray State and Miami (Ohio) were road games last season, and will be home games this coming season. Ball State was both home snd away last fall, and they also come here next season, before UE goes back there again the following year. Jacksonville State and UW- Green Bay were home games, and will be road games this next season.
The Bahamas tournament is 3 games, not 4, unless they attrach some kind of mainland game on to it.
I would like to know if it is an exemt tournament. In other words, play 9 games plus the Bahamas tourney. There are so many of these tourneys now, and not sure which ones are counted as exempt. Maui is, the Spiece tourney at Disney is, same with the NIT Tipoff, snd there's others. I don't know if UE's tournament is, but wouldn't be surprised if it isn't. That would allow 3 extra non conference games if it were.
Dayton won't be coming to Evansville unless it would be in the postseason NIT and the Aces are the better seed. They would have no choice then. They're not going to willingly come here. I would also say that St. Louis won't come here either, but with the Travis Ford- Walter McCarty connection, it might be possible, as long as both are at their respective schools. Otherwise, no way the Billikens will come here.
Dayton and SLU, like Butler, are "above" playing Evansville, at least on the road. That's how it seems anyway.
Western Kentucky would be an excellent addition to the schedule. The schools have past history from not that long ago, and both would have fans on the road. There are a lot of WKU alumni in this area.

I don't think schools such as SLU and Dayton think they are above as much as it just hasn't been an attractive game. They play plenty of schools that are bottom conference dwellers, so playing a program in a peer conference shouldn't be an issue. Let's not forget we owned both of them during the MCC days. SLU has been a conference whore since then, and has still failed to elevate their program. We should never take anything less than a home and home from any A-10 program. I also hope we never take anything less than that from Butler. When they got rejected from the MVC, we made sure to keep a home and home going with one of our longest rivals. The minute they get in the Big East, it's see ya. We should only take buy games from true P5 programs.

evilleman
Head Cheerleader

Postby evilleman » Mon May 13, 2019 10:30 am

E-Villan wrote:
AcesChamps6571 wrote:The Aces do have several known return games, we just don't have certain dates yet. Murray State and Miami (Ohio) were road games last season, and will be home games this coming season. Ball State was both home snd away last fall, and they also come here next season, before UE goes back there again the following year. Jacksonville State and UW- Green Bay were home games, and will be road games this next season.

I don't think schools such as SLU and Dayton think they are above as much as it just hasn't been an attractive game. They play plenty of schools that are bottom conference dwellers, so playing a program in a peer conference shouldn't be an issue. Let's not forget we owned both of them during the MCC days. SLU has been a conference whore since then, and has still failed to elevate their program. We should never take anything less than a home and home from any A-10 program. I also hope we never take anything less than that from Butler. When they got rejected from the MVC, we made sure to keep a home and home going with one of our longest rivals. The minute they get in the Big East, it's see ya. We should only take buy games from true P5 programs.

Went back and looked at SLU and Dayton's non-con games the past 5 years. Dayton only played one non power 5 away. That was at St. Mary's which is a perennial tourney team. SLU has played away non power 5s against SIU, Wichita, and SIUE. So possibly a better chance of getting SLU to agree to it. I have no problem with your opinion/stance but I think a lot of the A-10 teams are going to ask UE for a 2 for 1.

ncace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Mon May 13, 2019 8:33 pm

We have a shot with SLU based on the Travis-Walt connection. Otherwise our potential homes this year will likely be Horizon, OVC, or Summit teams. That's fine. I just hope we improve the sked year-to-year. I'm glad we have Ball St and Miami. As far as other home contests: don't ask, don't get. You never know when a decent team is playing IU, UL, UK, or Butler, and they need an extra game to complete a road trip.

GO ACES!

acefan
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1962

Postby acefan » Fri May 17, 2019 4:34 pm

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Fri May 17, 2019 5:01 pm

Another great article by Pat Hickey. Definitely good news for sure! That's the best time to have a Saturday night game because Christmas shopping is priority 1 for most people that time of the year and that's in the afternoon.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Return to “The Aces”