Gembo Borgerhout (Belgium) - Monday 1 pm CST

Discussions of all the Aces sports
mybigpurplebrain
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 630
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:43 pm
Fan Since: 1982

Re: Gembo Borgerhout (Belgium) - Monday 1 pm CST

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:46 pm

GoAcesgo wrote:Have heard Dixon will not be eligible this year.


May be best to move on and have two spots for next year.

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1481
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:48 pm
Fan Since: 1970

Re: Gembo Borgerhout (Belgium) - Monday 1 pm CST

Postby Austin Ace » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:22 pm

mybigpurplebrain wrote:
GoAcesgo wrote:Have heard Dixon will not be eligible this year.


May be best to move on and have two spots for next year.

DeAndre turned out pretty well (from what we can tell) and we waited for him for a year. Demontay’s situation seems to be identical. Presuming that the kid wants it to work, I think it’s a no brainer to wait for him like we did for DeAndre. Now I suppose you could make the case if you think you can get a better recruit, but I say if it looks like he has a legitimate shot to be eligible down the road, wait.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1935
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:34 am
Fan Since: 1969
Location: St. Louis

Re: Gembo Borgerhout (Belgium) - Monday 1 pm CST

Postby letsgoAces » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:51 pm

[quote="AceLoverLarry"]From what I've heard, hes a slower version of Kuhlman without Kuhlmans shooting abilities. May not be missing out on as much as we think[/quote

No no no. I have seen way too much footage to think Dixon is slower the Kuhlman. Kuhlman is a better shot than Dixon if he is left open but does not have near the skill sets Dixon. Night and day difference

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1935
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:34 am
Fan Since: 1969
Location: St. Louis

Re: Gembo Borgerhout (Belgium) - Monday 1 pm CST

Postby letsgoAces » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:53 pm

[quote="AceLoverLarry"]From what I've heard, hes a slower version of Kuhlman without Kuhlmans shooting abilities. May not be missing out on as much as we think[/quote

No no no. I have seen way too much footage to think Dixon is slower the Kuhlman. Kuhlman is a better shot than Dixon if he is left open but does not have near the skill set as Dixon. Night and day difference

User avatar
Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 2256
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:08 pm
Fan Since: 1991
Location: Evansville, IN

Re: Gembo Borgerhout (Belgium) - Monday 1 pm CST

Postby Tom Servo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:56 am

It's possible he is referring to Peace instead of Dixon (being slower and worse shooter than Kuhlman) which is probably correct on both accounts. However, Peace's only role on the team should be to rebound, defend and dunk the ball around the basket. I've also heard he can't shoot outside of 4-5 feet from the basket (which he won't really need to). I've seen Dixon hit perimeter shots in highlight reels as well and he appeared to be much more athletic than Kuhlman in the videos. Everyone just needs to understand their roles and strengths so they can contribute.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1935
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:34 am
Fan Since: 1969
Location: St. Louis

Re: Gembo Borgerhout (Belgium) - Monday 1 pm CST

Postby letsgoAces » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:36 am

Tom Servo wrote:It's possible he is referring to Peace instead of Dixon (being slower and worse shooter than Kuhlman) which is probably correct on both accounts. However, Peace's only role on the team should be to rebound, defend and dunk the ball around the basket. I've also heard he can't shoot outside of 4-5 feet from the basket (which he won't really need to). I've seen Dixon hit perimeter shots in highlight reels as well and he appeared to be much more athletic than Kuhlman in the videos. Everyone just needs to understand their roles and strengths so they can contribute.


I think you are right, Tom. The reference almost certainly applies to Peace.
I do consider the possible loss of Dixon as significant.
Your assessment of Peace is exactly how I see him. It seems there are a few whose expectations for him are a bit far fetched.

mybigpurplebrain
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 630
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:43 pm
Fan Since: 1982

Re: Gembo Borgerhout (Belgium) - Monday 1 pm CST

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:26 am

letsgoAces wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:It's possible he is referring to Peace instead of Dixon (being slower and worse shooter than Kuhlman) which is probably correct on both accounts. However, Peace's only role on the team should be to rebound, defend and dunk the ball around the basket. I've also heard he can't shoot outside of 4-5 feet from the basket (which he won't really need to). I've seen Dixon hit perimeter shots in highlight reels as well and he appeared to be much more athletic than Kuhlman in the videos. Everyone just needs to understand their roles and strengths so they can contribute.



I think you are right, Tom. The reference almost certainly applies to Peace.
I do consider the possible loss of Dixon as significant.
Your assessment of Peace is exactly how I see him. It seems there are a few whose expectations for him are a bit far fetched.


I went through the box scores of Walters State for Dixon and by mid season he was not starting and his stats are of a bench player. He started the year well but went down hill for sure. Then I watched portions of a couple games on YouTube and it was a hard to watch level of basketball. Just saying.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1935
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:34 am
Fan Since: 1969
Location: St. Louis

Re: Gembo Borgerhout (Belgium) - Monday 1 pm CST

Postby letsgoAces » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:31 am

My guess is that he very likely had an injury

ncace
Bobblehead Owner
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:55 am
Fan Since: 1969

Re: Gembo Borgerhout (Belgium) - Monday 1 pm CST

Postby ncace » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:37 am

Dixon appears to be a puzzle. Looks talented, but the Walters St. thing is not a positive. He played on a team that had a couple of gunners, so it's possible that, as a freshman, he got fewer looks and minutes than he anticipated. The other question is the eligibility. Supposedly he was an excellent student in HS. Sometimes this doesn't translate, but unless he took worthless classes that didn't transfer to UE, I don't understand how the eligibility thing could be grades.

Of course, I nothing about what has REALLY happened with Demontay. It just seems that a lot of this should have already been identified and dealt with. ISUr saw something in him. Wich. St. recruited and offered him. Does anyone have info that might clarify what's really going on with Dixon?
After problems with Rosel last year, I would have hoped that we might have avoided a repeat.

User avatar
Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 2256
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:08 pm
Fan Since: 1991
Location: Evansville, IN

Re: Gembo Borgerhout (Belgium) - Monday 1 pm CST

Postby Tom Servo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:53 am

Acesinsider#1 wrote:Incorrect information on Dixon.


Any info on his (Dixon's) status?
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!


Return to “The Aces”