Drake Player

Discussions of all the Aces sports
muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Drake Player

Postby muni cup14 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:22 am

Tramell Murphy has been removed from basketball activities. He
was charged with firing a firearm inside the city limits.
The report said he accidentally discharged a gun inside his apartment
striking his next door neighbor. Tramell was a starting foward last year
averaging 10 points a game.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Re: Drake Player

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:39 am

I read through their board - it sounds like a lot of their posters think he will be suspended for several games then return. Will be interesting to see how this is handled with guns being such a hot topic right now. He's definitely one of their best players and would be a huge loss to their team.

It's definitely an odd situation to say the least.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:19 am

Obviously, I don't know all the circumstances. But as a fan, a parent, and follower of college athletics this incident does not look good in any shape, way, or form. If I am the head coach of Drake, or especially the president of Drake, this young man is gone. He needs to get some things sorted out in his life, and get whatever help he can, and then perhaps get another opportunity elsewhere. If I were the parent of one of this young man's teammates, I would find another place for him to play if this individual was not removed from the team.

ncace
Head Cheerleader

Postby ncace » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:38 pm

It'll likely get strung out. For me, it should be an automatic 18 month ban from playing for ANY college team. This behavior should extract a price that causes everyone to be aware of consequences. Football, baseball, wrestling, etc.; ALL SPORTS.

PurpleWhiskers
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:32 pm

All of us are more than a single moment in time. Would you like to be judged on just one of yours of my choosing? Drake isn't Illinois State. I trust that they will be fair to the young man. If he has a pattern of misbehavior he should be dealt with harshly. If not, he should be put on a short leash and forgiven. He should also surrender his gun until he understands gun safety.

Aces44
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1992

Postby Aces44 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:36 pm

Don’t throw the scouting report away.
We will see him in Des Moines...

6th man
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 6th man » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:05 pm

Off campus... In his apt ..with his registered legal permitted weapon . the weapon discharge accidentally and shot a tenant in the apartment next to his?
Not because of a fight or argument.
one game suspension and go to the class on gun safety.
I'm on Board
UE Integrity
GO ACES

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:38 pm

Yes...all of us are more than a single moment in time. God knows I have made my share of stupid decisions. After both raising and working with kids I have no illusions at all of what bad choices look like. Personally, I am grateful for all those in my life who were bold enough to confront and even chastise me when I needed it. I am all for fairness...zero question about that. My utmost hope is this young man will understand the gravity of what he has done. This was a gun. He wasn't caught with underage drinking or public intoxication. He wasn't found smoking marijuana or driving with a suspended license. Again, IT WAS A GUN. If it were my call, I believe Mr. Murphy would be better served with a complete dismissal from the basketball team and university. There can only be zero tolerance for those kind of actions. Perhaps some other school may be willing to forgive him and give him another opportunity...I hope so (as long as he repentant for his offense). If I am the coach I will still be there for him and help him get the help he needs. But he is not going to play for me anymore.

wildbill
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1975

Postby wildbill » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:48 pm

On this one, I don't think it's that big of a deal. I think he should sit a game or two (2) to learn from his mistake. I see no reason why he should be expelled, etc. He made a dumb mistake, yes, but it wasn't like he was intentionally trying to hurt anybody. I bet the kid treats weapons with respect for the rest of his life.

PurpleWhiskers
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:06 pm

6th man wrote:Off campus... In his apt ..with his registered legal permitted weapon . the weapon discharge accidentally and shot a tenant in the apartment next to his?
Not because of a fight or argument.
one game suspension and go to the class on gun safety.

And pay for medical expenses and damage to apartment.

Return to “The Aces”