Drake Player

Discussions of all the Aces sports
COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Re: Drake Player

Postby COUTEAU » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:04 pm

Two game suspension
January 22 & Feb 16
He dropped 15 with 7 & 11/6, in the two games against The ACES last season.
In all seriousness though.
He f@*ked up.
He popped off a round, by accident with a legally owned gun.
Stupid, no doubt.
My problem however.....When 5.O shows up, just not Murphy, but the entire guest list at the party tried covering it up.
He should have maned up, right then and there.
For that, a third game might be warranted, in St Louis, depending on the seeding.... ;)

go aces

:shockue: :shockue:

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:10 pm

Drake player charged after off-campus shooting

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27601368/drake-player-charged-campus-shooting

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Drake forward Tremell Murphy has been charged in an off-campus shooting that he says was accidental.

Des Moines police say Murphy was charged Thursday with discharging a firearm inside city limits and making false reports to law enforcement. Court records don't list the name of an attorney who could comment for him.

A university spokesman said Murphy has been removed from basketball activities. Murphy was a starting forward for the Bulldogs as a junior last year.

Police say the shooting occurred the night of Aug. 31 during a party at a home near campus. Officers found a 19-year-old man bleeding from his head and noticed a bullet hole in a nearby wall, leading them to believe the shot had come from Murphy's adjacent room. Police say Murphy first insisted the man had fallen but later acknowledged he had accidentally fired the .22-caliber bullet.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:15 am

Wow. Kind of surprised by some of the opinions being shared. Everyone has the full right to share what they feel, and I want to be completely and fully respectful of that. But I can't help but wonder how each of us would feel if that was your child who was struck by a stray bullet in the head by a careless individual who suddenly wanted to show his gun off at a party???? That 19 year old and his family will have to deal with that trauma the rest of their lives. A one game, or two game suspension with a promise to never do that again???? Meanwhile, I would think the president of Drake University will have to deal with many concerned parents who spend about $35,000 per year to send their child to this small private university....it is part of his job as president to ensure each student's safety, no? Head Basketball coaches love to talk about values and high standards on and off the court. Now what happens when one of his players feels the need not only to pack a gun, but whip it out during a party, and then lie to police about what happened when it is painfully obvious he is lying.
I know kids screw up....as stated earlier, God knows I did. I am not trying to "throw the first stone". But how can Tremell Murphy best be served? I have already stated my take on that so no need to say it again. I am grateful for all that has been shared.

Purple&Orange
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1988

Postby Purple&Orange » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:11 pm

When things happen off the floor, there often is a varying set of ideas, thoughts on what is best when it comes to discipline. A mistake was made here and thankfully for all involved the worst case was adverted. At the end of the day, somehow, it seems from the news reports that someone who was shot in the head is expected to make a full recovery.

As far as what should happen I'm torn. On one hand the actions, not intentional, are very serious. Anytime a firearm is discharged it's a bad situation. The fact he was not upfront with police from the jump is troubling but I can only imagine being young and confronted with this situation and how in a panic being rationale and upfront would sound scary. In the heat of the moment we don't always choose wisely.

I do think some sort of punishment from the basketball program is warranted. Something more than over the summer, once practice starts they are fully involved and no meaningful games missed, which would not include any exhibition/scrimmage/early season non D-I. But I also don't think he should be banned from school, basketball, etc. I think 2-4 games is in the appropriate range. Despite being a very bad situation, the charges are misdemeanors. I would also say that the reaction from the player matters and how they have handled themselves since they got to school and after the fact...are they only upset and sorry because it happened or has it really impacted them.

Ultimately college is a period of growth, understanding, and accumulating knowledge. It's also a place to screw up before you get out in the real world and really lose something like a job. I learned a lot from things that went on during my college years that took place outside the classroom and looking back I wouldn't want something that took place when I was 18-22 to define me moving forward. Basketball can be a vehicle that will allow for him to get a degree, hopefully learn something important from all of this and move forward in life. Maybe that's a bit fairy tale/naive but when the criminal system deems the actions to be minor and not rise to the level of a felony then I don't believe it should rise to being removed from the team/school.

It's a bad situation and the optics would be much better if the victim wasn't shot in the head, rather the foot for example. It's a bad deal and it does frustrate me when things happen and a slap on the wrist happens where a football player won't start but play 2 they are lined up again. Hopefully this instance is a wake up call for all who have heard about it as any firearm is dangerous and should be handled with extreme care. Even the most trained professionals who work with weapons makes mistakes occasionally. Hopefully that's the lasting impact of this and be thankful there wasn't a fatality.

6th man
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 6th man » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:25 pm

Purple&Orange wrote:When things happen off the floor, there often is a varying set of ideas, thoughts on what is best when it comes to discipline. A mistake was made here and thankfully for all involved the worst case was adverted. At the end of the day, somehow, it seems from the news reports that someone who was shot in the head is expected to make a full recovery.

As far as what should happen I'm torn. On one hand the actions, not intentional, are very serious. Anytime a firearm is discharged it's a bad situation. The fact he was not upfront with police from the jump is troubling but I can only imagine being young and confronted with this situation and how in a panic being rationale and upfront would sound scary. In the heat of the moment we don't always choose wisely.

I do think some sort of punishment from the basketball program is warranted. Something more than over the summer, once practice starts they are fully involved and no meaningful games missed, which would not include any exhibition/scrimmage/early season non D-I. But I also don't think he should be banned from school, basketball, etc. I think 2-4 games is in the appropriate range. Despite being a very bad situation, the charges are misdemeanors. I would also say that the reaction from the player matters and how they have handled themselves since they got to school and after the fact...are they only upset and sorry because it happened or has it really impacted them.

Ultimately college is a period of growth, understanding, and accumulating knowledge. It's also a place to screw up before you get out in the real world and really lose something like a job. I learned a lot from things that went on during my college years that took place outside the classroom and looking back I wouldn't want something that took place when I was 18-22 to define me moving forward. Basketball can be a vehicle that will allow for him to get a degree, hopefully learn something important from all of this and move forward in life. Maybe that's a bit fairy tale/naive but when the criminal system deems the actions to be minor and not rise to the level of a felony then I don't believe it should rise to being removed from the team/school.

It's a bad situation and the optics would be much better if the victim wasn't shot in the head, rather the foot for example. It's a bad deal and it does frustrate me when things happen and a slap on the wrist happens where a football player won't start but play 2 they are lined up again. Hopefully this instance is a wake up call for all who have heard about it as any firearm is dangerous and should be handled with extreme care. Even the most trained professionals who work with weapons makes mistakes occasionally. Hopefully that's the lasting impact of this and be thankful there wasn't a fatality.

Best response so far !! I agree... If he could pickup some of the medical expense would speak to the type of person he will achieve to be
I'm on Board
UE Integrity
GO ACES

ncace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:14 pm

All very well-thought out comments. Although there is a difference between a full-grown adult and a 19-22 year old, the question remains: why would a young person playing for a reputable institution like Drake, Evansville, Furman, or Wofford even HAVE a gun, registered or not, in his possession? Would we want this kid on our team? Would we condone a coach who allowed this to happen under his watch?

I can buy the second chance angle; up to a point. That point is a REAL SUSPENSION. Not two games, but at least through Dec. If a coach wants to show his love and understanding, he makes his point. He makes sure this never happens again. The kid turns in his gun control to authorities. He apologizes to the injured party....and he can only play, after the suspension, for the team he represents at the time of the incident. He doesn't get to transfer, unless he agrees to sit out a year. In other words, he SITS for at least half a season.

IndyAce
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1996

Postby IndyAce » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:08 am

He legally owns a firearm. He doesn't have to justify his ownership to anyone. He can own that gun for any reason he wants. Why does him playing basketball preclude him from owning a gun.

Personally, I find the gun culture in this country disgusting and fraught with fear mongering about a non-existent government invasion of our homes. But the law is well established, he doesn't need to justify to anyone why he chooses to own a firearm. And any coach trying to control is going to run into a litany of issues when it comes to the 2nd Amendment. No coach has the time or patience to deal with such an issue.

I wonder if the responses I've read online would be different if the accident occurred while hunting and the kid owning the gun had a lighter complexion...

ncace wrote:All very well-thought out comments. Although there is a difference between a full-grown adult and a 19-22 year old, the question remains: why would a young person playing for a reputable institution like Drake, Evansville, Furman, or Wofford even HAVE a gun, registered or not, in his possession? Would we want this kid on our team? Would we condone a coach who allowed this to happen under his watch?

I can buy the second chance angle; up to a point. That point is a REAL SUSPENSION. Not two games, but at least through Dec. If a coach wants to show his love and understanding, he makes his point. He makes sure this never happens again. The kid turns in his gun control to authorities. He apologizes to the injured party....and he can only play, after the suspension, for the team he represents at the time of the incident. He doesn't get to transfer, unless he agrees to sit out a year. In other words, he SITS for at least half a season.

mybigpurplebrain
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1982

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:58 am

And there it is.......
The race card.
Very disappointing.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:49 pm

Had it had been a hunting accidental shooting, with the suspect being White, Black, Brown, Yellow, Polka Dot, or Paisley, it would have been treated the same, if all those involved wouldn't have tried to conceal the fact the guy was shot in the head.
That's what I had originally posted to be the serious (legal) issue and believe it to be the only reason this unfortunate incident even received attention.
By not stepping forward, originally you have to start to question, why the weapon was out to begin with?
Who called the police?
Did a neighbor hear the gun shot & make the call?
If it was someone at party that called 911, then why "cover it up"?
Everyone involved would have had to agree to the, "snitches get stitches" concept and invented the' "He fell and bumped his head" alibi.
Even, when the hole in wall was discovered, Murphy didn't step up and come forward.
Only, after they found a bullet or a fragment of one, in the kid's head, did the facts present themselves that the bleeding kid was actually shot by a round coming through the wall from the next room.

Weapons charges followed.
My guess; community service & restitution.

I still recommend.....Two game suspension
January 22 & February 16

IndyAce
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1996

Postby IndyAce » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:01 pm

There's no doubt that the kid, and all those involved in covering it up, are foolish and deserve the consequences coming their way. They have just proven that they don't deserve the right to own a firearm.

But my point still stands. Nobody would have questioned why a person of legal age and documentation had a gun if this kid was white and he accidentally fired it while hunting. My issue is only to the person that questioned why he had the gun.

Return to “The Aces”